Baby Shower Games: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

“You are to eat the chocolate pudding without using your hands and whoever finishes first wins!” She said with sardonic glee. “Wait, you want me to what?” “Hold the diaper to your face and eat the pudding without using your hands.” No. JUST. NO. No scented candle game prize is worth the indignant act of shoveling pudding out of a diaper into my carefully lip-sticked mouth, no matter how big the candle is. Give me Bingo, give me jumbled baby words, but do not expect a room full of women to participate in your sadistic shenanigans. I can see it now — a usually bright, chipper and thoughtful woman outlining the ultimate revenge game plan to get back at all the other times she’s had to play inhumane baby shower games. It’s a senseless circle that needs to be destroyed. The whole idea of throwing a baby shower is to help the new mother out with cute gifts and motherly advice (all the while neglecting to inform her of the impending doom reality). And cake. Really, for me, it’s...

View the full article

I've given a few bridal and baby showers for friends and family. One game I put together for a few baby showers was about nursery rhymes, since that's one thing I learned growing up as a kid. I would cut out pictures from magazines as clues for a nursery rhymes that the guests had to guess. It can be amazing how many people actually know nursery rhymes and don't realize it until they're quizzed. Another fun game for either bridal or baby shower is putting together a story about the bride or mother-to-be with words left out. The guests were asked to help finish the story by providing adjectives (descriptive words) to fill in the blank spaces. Once all the adjectives are given, the story can be very funny in a fun way.

M.

ETA: One of my favourite nursery rhymes is:

Elizabeth, Elspeth, Betsy, and Bess, They all went together to seek a bird's nest; They found a bird's nest with five eggs in, They all took one, and left four in.

Edited by Maureen