I hope it is ok for me to make this thread. Ever see those millions of flavors of Oreos or weird flavors of chips and wonder, "who keeps falling for this gimmicky crap?" This gal. Right here. Some are good, others just sort of hit me wrong but despite the myriad failvors I've come across, as soon as they come out with a new one, I bring it home to try it out. How about you? What are some of the best and some of the worst you've tried? Feel free to revisit this thread and tell us about your flaventures! :D

Something I've tried that I was surprised I liked were these cotton candy puff balls.

e53e0539f7edbedab0d5af2effea4cba.gif

They're basically the same size and texture of cheese puff balls but they're sweet and taste like cotton candy instead. It takes getting used to on the first try but once you get used to them, it's basically just crunchy cotton candy.

Candy, sweets, snacks, junk food, etc. What are some odd or interesting things you have tried? What did you like? What did you wish you could erase from memory?

I LOVE COTTON CANDY PUFF BALLS!!!  I won a big jug of these at some church activity fundraiser auction!  I ended up paying like... I think it was $50 for it!  Hah hah.

Something unusual in the USA that I super love... powder candy.  Yep.  It's candy but it's pressed powder.  We call it polvoron in the Philippines.  It's pretty easy to make but you need a mold to press the powder into candy.

dsc01269.jpg

11 hours ago, a mustard seed said:

I have never heard of that anatess! That looks so yummy though! Is it sugar that is pressed or what is it?

Here's the recipe.  I tell ya, it's super duper easy to make.  I'm not sure if you noticed it in the picture above.  The mold thingee can be seen on the back in the picture but it's kinda blurry.  It's a spring-loaded press mold.

Polvoron

Ingredients

1 cup All purpose flour
1 cup milk powder, Carnation brand is the only kind I use.
½ cup white sugar, grind in the food processor or in a mixer to make it fine.  Powdered sugar is too fine.
¼ cup butter.

Method

Toast the flour in a pan until lightly brown. Keep mixing to prevent it from burning.
Allow it to cool. 
Melt the butter.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the flour and mix thoroughly with the warm melted butter.
Fill the mold with the mixture and firmly press on to the plate.  You can optionally press the mold onto candy wrapper and wrap individually.
Repeat this process for rest of mixture.

Variations

- Add nuts by grinding 1/4 c of nuts in the food processor or in a mixer and adding to the rest of the ingredients.

- Add 1/4 c cocoa powder to the rest of the ingredients.

- Lightly drizzle chocolate syrup on the formed candy.

- Add rice krispies by grinding 1/4 c of rice krispies in the food processor or mixer and adding to the rest of the ingredients.

Guest LiterateParakeet
12 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

This sounds weird but is easy to make and low cal,

1/2 cup chia seeds

1/2 teaspoons vanilla

artificial sweetener

1 cup coconut milk

mix up and refrigerate overnight 

tasty breakfast pudding

That sounds right up my ally.  Thanks, Sunday21, I'll give it a try. 

On 3/14/2017 at 6:01 PM, a mustard seed said:

I hope it is ok for me to make this thread. Ever see those millions of flavors of Oreos or weird flavors of chips and wonder, "who keeps falling for this gimmicky crap?" This gal. Right here. Some are good, others just sort of hit me wrong but despite the myriad failvors I've come across, as soon as they come out with a new one, I bring it home to try it out. How about you? What are some of the best and some of the worst you've tried? Feel free to revisit this thread and tell us about your flaventures! :D

Something I've tried that I was surprised I liked were these cotton candy puff balls.

e53e0539f7edbedab0d5af2effea4cba.gif

They're basically the same size and texture of cheese puff balls but they're sweet and taste like cotton candy instead. It takes getting used to on the first try but once you get used to them, it's basically just crunchy cotton candy.

Candy, sweets, snacks, junk food, etc. What are some odd or interesting things you have tried? What did you like? What did you wish you could erase from memory?

my mom had a fake pill bottle with jellybeans, it was labeled Dammitol.

XD

try celery with peanut butter topped by raisins or dried cranberries.

Edited by Blackmarch

I see this thread was probably misplaced, lol. I intended for it to be a discussion about actual junk food and candy. Like you know, have you tried those Around the World Lays chip flavors? Or the seasonal Oreo flavors?  Everybody keeps bringing up healthy food which is ok if you like that but that was not even close to the topic I outlined. I understand that people here are more focused on eating healthy so this was probably a mistake to make. Oh well. 

On 3/16/2017 at 2:30 PM, Traveler said:

Since my wife was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes – my favorite snacks have become raw vegies and fruit.   The funny thing is – I have learned to enjoy these snacks more than the wife.

The Traveler

You enjoy the snacks more than you enjoy your wife? :P

• pam featured this topic
7 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

They sell them at Swig (do you have one in SL?  American Fork has one).  

Yep we have them.  I've never been to one though.

One thing I love about Easter... PEEPS!!!

I can't eat them until Easter though because I'm abstaining from Peeps for Lent.  It's one of the hardest things to do... to go through the grocery store and stare the peeps lining the check-out counter in the eye and not grab all of them.

Here are some ways to make peeps snacks:

Peeps S'mores

gallery-1457028240-peeps-smores-brownies

Peeps stuffed cookies

gallery-1458148483-delish-peeps-hacks-ch

Peeps popcorn:

delish-peeps-popcorn.jpg

Peeps S'mores skillet

gallery-1456952663-peepssmores.png

Peeps Pop-up

54f64cadac1c2_-_easter-push-pop-peeps-de

Peeps Rice Krispees

layered-peeps-2.jpg

Chocolate dipped Peeps

chocolatepeeps2.jpg

Peeps cake batter candy

img_8371.jpg

8 hours ago, SilentOne said:

Those are not weird and shouldn't be unusual.

I have never met a flavor of potato chip I didn't like. Lime is one of my favorites.

I usually don't like flavored potato chips. I do like these.  (BBQ is the worst.) but alas this salty crunchy deliciousness is off the food list. Fat content is just tooooooo high. 

What's unusual now are frozen berries blended with almond milk and a scoop of protein powder. Tastes like candy. Is neither salty or crunchy. ?

On 16/03/2017 at 10:14 AM, Sunday21 said:

This sounds weird but is easy to make and low cal,

1/2 cup chia seeds

1/2 teaspoons vanilla

artificial sweetener

2 cup coconut milk

mix up and refrigerate overnight 

tasty breakfast pudding

I think I might try this, but without the chia seeds, vanilla or coconut milk. That would be my kind of snack. 

I'm guessing we're not going to see Anatess in Australia any time soon - we don't have peeps here, I've never seen them before.

As for the kind of snacks I enjoy, at the moment, on my bedside table, I have two packets and a small "bucket" of M&Ms, a 350 gram block of Cadbury fruit and nut chocolate, a bounty bar, a cherry ripe and a snickers (all purely for medicinal purposes of course). I'd like to have more, but the church counsels moderation so I've had to limit things.The M&Ms have been there untouched for about two weeks so far but it's nice to know they are there. The Cadbury's is disappearing fast and the bounty bar will be gone by tonight.

Edited by askandanswer

• pam unfeatured this topic