What really toasts my biscuits about this church

23 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Last I checked... God call me to be a husband and father and provide for them...  Thus my employment is part of that calling... And I consider my calling as husband and father to be a higher priority calling, per the guidance and direction of the scriptures and leaders of the church, then any other calling they might extend

Good point.

I really, REALLY wish people would take the old cliche to heart "treat others as you would be treated." 

We need to understand that no one is perfect. No teacher is perfect. No RS president is perfect. No bishop is perfect. We all say that we know that, but our actions sure don't back that up. So, when a teacher lets a class get out of hand, instead of rolling our eyes and complaining, figure out what you can do to help her. Instead of complaining that all the activities that the EQ sponsor are basketball games, figure out what you can do to support the EQ and fellowship others. 

It simply is not helpful to tell someone "you know, it would better if you..." or "when i was in that calling, we did....."  Of course, there are times when the Spirit may whisper to you to say/do something, but be careful that it's actually the Spirit and not the "I know better than he/she" spirit.

1 hour ago, beefche said:

I really, REALLY wish people would take the old cliche to heart "treat others as you would be treated." 

We need to understand that no one is perfect. No teacher is perfect. No RS president is perfect. No bishop is perfect. We all say that we know that, but our actions sure don't back that up. So, when a teacher lets a class get out of hand, instead of rolling our eyes and complaining, figure out what you can do to help her. Instead of complaining that all the activities that the EQ sponsor are basketball games, figure out what you can do to support the EQ and fellowship others. 

It simply is not helpful to tell someone "you know, it would better if you..." or "when i was in that calling, we did....."  Of course, there are times when the Spirit may whisper to you to say/do something, but be careful that it's actually the Spirit and not the "I know better than he/she" spirit.

Yes.  We do that.  They have lessons on RS about this many times a year.

But there's no helping somebody who doesn't even bother to show up or if they do show up is so ill-prepared or who doesn't really want to be there or have no desire to learn what needs to be taught so they just sign off on the requirements... ahh, this kid went on a nature walk with his dad, that counts for camping requirement - check.

Such is the norm of the Scouting Program in my neck of the woods.  And that's with my husband as the Scoutmaster.  He's ready to hang it up when my kids complete their Eagle.  Scouting is not a one-person job.  Legally, you're required at least 2-deep leadership.  Even just trying to get parents involved is almost as painful as getting a root canal.

Anyway, too many times we use the - we're just volunteers or I am not a trained professional as an excuse to fail at callings.  We're not just failing ourselves.  We're failing our children too.

Anyway, yes we are all struggling in the gospel.  Others more so when it comes to callings.  And yes, whining accomplishes nothing.  But heck, we're on mormonhub so we can talk about the stuff that toasts our biscuits.

Edited by anatess2

55 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Anyway, yes we are all struggling in the gospel.  Others more so when it comes to callings.  And yes, whining accomplishes nothing.  But heck, we're on mormonhub so we can talk about the stuff that toasts our biscuits.

Oh, I get that. And do it myself. So, I understand coming on here to moan and groan about stupid things that just boil your water. 

We need to remember that choir and singing of hymns is a method of worship, not entertainment.  Can you imagine if someone criticized you for not using "thee" and "thou" in the prayer?  How about if you used incorrect grammar?  What if your voice wasn't very sonorous while praying?

That said, as choir director, I try my best to train and teach the choir as best I can.  But I know that we are all limited in our talent in some way shape or form.  The fact that they are each trying their best is something I keep in mind all the time.

Lately, people have been making very positive comments about the choir.

On 3/31/2017 at 10:27 PM, Bad Karma said:

I'd like some modern day "Praise and worship" songs done like the "other" churches have, I'm an avid Air1 listener. 

The church put out a video where they showed a church meeting  in Harlem.  It was interesting that the church choir was singing "praise music" in the background.

oops......

Edited by cdowis

• pam unfeatured this topic