President Monson

pam

3 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I think it would be so weird to have people start speculating about my health and mortality every time i didn't show up to something.

More weird would be if they speculated about your health and mortality every time you did show up to something. :P 

Edited by zil

6 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I think it would be so weird to have people start speculating about my health and mortality every time i didn't show up to something.

So he worries about people the world over every day.  We can't be concerned about him when he misses something that he hasn't missed before?

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, pam said:

So he worries about people the world over every day. 

I think he's "the type" that worries and cares about everyone, LDS or not. 

17 minutes ago, pam said:

So he worries about people the world over every day.  We can't be concerned about him when he misses something that he hasn't missed before?

I'm not saying it's not fine to be concerned, just a funny thought I had that it would be weird for me if I was in his position. But then I'm weird.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

But then I'm weird.

And we're not even talking about how you live with 44 cats all named after your ex boyfriends! 

(just playing! Nothing but love @Eowyn!)

I think we tend to worry about the people we love. And we grow to love the General Authorities especially the Prophet. So i think it's normal to worry or be concerned for him. I don't think we should self diagnose what is wrong with him, like I've heard so many people do the last couple of years.

On 3/26/2017 at 10:34 AM, Eowyn said:

LOL!

I bet when you get to be his age, your family would be very concerned if you missed something that was regularly scheduled.

21 hours ago, Eowyn said:

You know full well I only have 42 ex boyfriends, @MormonGator

Well, that's life, the universe, and everything.

Edited by Guest

22 hours ago, MormonGator said:

And we're not even talking about how you live with 44 cats all named after your ex boyfriends! 

(just playing! Nothing but love @Eowyn!)

22 hours ago, Eowyn said:

You know full well I only have 42 ex boyfriends, @MormonGator

I just figured the extra two were given your ex-boyfriends' surnames.

On 3/26/2017 at 9:34 AM, Eowyn said:

I would find it even weirder were I to view myself as noteworthy as a prophet to warrant such speculation. ;)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

On 3/26/2017 at 4:18 PM, miav said:

I think we tend to worry about the people we love. And we grow to love the General Authorities especially the Prophet. So i think it's normal to worry or be concerned for him. I don't think we should self diagnose what is wrong with him, like I've heard so many people do the last couple of years.

I agree we tend to be concerned about those we admire and love, The prophet carries a heavy burden and sometimes the body fails while the mind is still sharp or worse the mind fails and the body keeps on truckin.  Either way it must be very difficult for someone with that much responsibility. 

Maybe emeritus should be considered by the brethren if impairment due to age or diminished mental capacity set in? 

3 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Maybe emeritus should be considered by the brethren if impairment due to age or diminished mental capacity set in? 

I agree, especially since there is already a defined emeritus process for 70 from the 1st quorum.  However, I doubt it will happen due to the nature of the mantle of the 12 apostles and first presidency.  I believe in the past the rest of the 12 simply take over the responsibilities and the next in line of succession takes on the role of Acting President.

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I agree we tend to be concerned about those we admire and love, The prophet carries a heavy burden and sometimes the body fails while the mind is still sharp or worse the mind fails and the body keeps on truckin.  Either way it must be very difficult for someone with that much responsibility. 

I get what you are saying bro but isn't the presidency of the church a job that only one can have?  It's sort of like being president of the US. Some decisions can only be made by one person. 

"Emeritus status" is not an option for apostles. The nature of their calling is such that it is a lifetime commitment. They cannot "retire" from it, as they know full well when they receive the calling.

Now, they may become unable to fulfill some or even most of their calling. In this case, the other brethren step in and take over, as needed. This is true even in the First Presidency. For much of the presidency of Elder Benson, he was unable to function in his calling. Many Saints misunderstood this and thought that the Church was somehow without guidance or revelation. They failed to understand that the highest quorum of the Church, the First Presidency, was still perfectly solvent and able to function, despite its president being incapacitated. I am confident that this is one important reason why Church leadership is generally done by presidencies and quorums rather than by individuals.

39 minutes ago, person0 said:

I agree, especially since there is already a defined emeritus process for 70 from the 1st quorum.  However, I doubt it will happen due to the nature of the mantle of the 12 apostles and first presidency.  I believe in the past the rest of the 12 simply take over the responsibilities and the next in line of succession takes on the role of Acting President.

10 minutes ago, Vort said:

"Emeritus status" is not an option for apostles. The nature of their calling is such that it is a lifetime commitment. They cannot "retire" from it, as they know full well when they receive the calling.

Now, they may become unable to fulfill some or even most of their calling. In this case, the other brethren step in and take over, as needed. This is true even in the First Presidency. For much of the presidency of Elder Benson, he was unable to function in his calling. Many Saints misunderstood this and thought that the Church was somehow without guidance or revelation. They failed to understand that the highest quorum of the Church, the First Presidency, was still perfectly solvent and able to function, despite its president being incapacitated. I am confident that this is one important reason why Church leadership is generally done by presidencies and quorums rather than by individuals.

I have a story to tell about this.  If someone has an official source, then please correct my foggy memory.

When Pres. Kimball was Prophet, not only was he extremely weak, but both of his counselors were often unable to walk or speak much.  At the time Pres Hinckley was called as a 'special assistant' to the First Presidency.  He was essentially the acting prophet as far as general operations went.  But he never dared to state that he was taking on that mantle.  He was simply an assistant -- a glorified secretary... who happened to hold the priesthood office of apostle.

At some point, one of Pres. Kimball's attendants sent word to Pres Hinckley that he (Kimball) was awake an lucid.  He had called Hinckley to come right away.

The prophet told him that he needed to reorganize the leadership of the Oakland Temple immediately.  He was then given instructions on whom to call and what changes to make.

He called to the Oakland temple to arrange a meeting with the entire temple staff.  When he arrived, he told them what changes needed to be made.  As he did so, he told them

You all know that up until now, only the Prophet has been allowed to make such changes.  But our Prophet has instructed me to do this.  So, I'm doing it.

At that point, all in attendance at that meeting testified that they had received a firm confirmation from the Spirit that the words he spoke were true.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

At the time Pres Hinckley was called as a 'special assistant' to the First Presidency.  He was essentially the acting prophet as far as general operations went.  But he never dared to state that he was taking on that mantle.  He was simply an assistant -- a glorified secretary... who happened to hold the priesthood office of apostle.

As I recall, and without so much as doing a Google search or a Wikipedia consultation (shame on me), President Hinckley was called to be a counselor in the First Presidency. It consisted of Spencer W. Kimball as president, Marion G. Romney as first counselor, N. Eldon Tanner as second counselor, and Gordon B. Hinckley as "counselor". So there were three counselors in the First Presidency at that time. At the death of Elder Tanner (I think he died first), President Hinckley became the second counselor, and at Elder Romney's death, he became First Counselor, with Thomas B. Monson called to fill the position of second counselor. Those two were called to the same positions at the death of President Kimball to serve with President Benson, who was actually active for his first two or three years as president, a welcome sight for Church members who had become used to a Church president who was unable even to address them.

EDIT: A quick Wikipedia check suggests my memory is more or less correct.

Edited by Vort