I found out I'm 45 percent Jewish

I knew I was born as a result of a sperm donor but didn't know the ethnic background so I took the Ancestry DNA test and the results showed that I'm 45 percent European Jewish based out of Israel. So should I do anything with that and does that mean I only have to be 55 percent adopted into the house of Israel and could it be possible that I'm related to Abraham Isaac and Jacob?

I think the Jewish heritage is cool, and something worth exploring as a part of your family history.  But be aware that for gospel purposes, once you have accepted the gospel your biological "blood quantum" is pretty much irrelevant.  What matters, theologically, is the lineage declared in your patriarchal blessing; and whether that lineage comes via birth or adoption is a matter of curiosity at most.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

2 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

I knew I was born as a result of a sperm donor but didn't know the ethnic background so I took the Ancestry DNA test and the results showed that I'm 45 percent European Jewish based out of Israel. So should I do anything with that and does that mean I only have to be 55 percent adopted into the house of Israel and could it be possible that I'm related to Abraham Isaac and Jacob?

So now how do you feel about Fiddler on the Roof? :P

10 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

. . . I'm 45 percent European Jewish . . . does that mean I only have to be 55 percent adopted into the house of Israel and could it be possible that I'm related to Abraham Isaac and Jacob?

If you are even 1 percent a direct blood descendant of a tribe of Israel then you do not have to be adopted into the house of Israel at all.  Does your patriarchal blessing (if you have received it) indicate you are adopted into the house of Israel or does it simply state the tribe from which you are descended?

On a side note, I am approximately a 50% blood descendant of Ishmael.  My father is Arab from the Jerusalem/Jordan area.  On my mothers side I have European ancestry and presume to be gentile with the possibility of mixing in the distant past.  That being said, my patriarchal blessing identifies me as a descendant of the tribe of Ephraim and does not mention adoption, however, I have no idea if blood ancestry is through mixing in my fathers history or mothers. (I have known others who are specifically identified in their patriarchal blessings as being adopted into the house of Israel)

12 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

Perhaps someone could explain to me how anyone could have an odd percentage of any Ancestry?  Or for that matter any percentage that is not divisible by 2?

The Traveler

17 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Perhaps someone could explain to me how anyone could have an odd percentage of any Ancestry?  Or for that matter any percentage that is not divisible by 2?

The Traveler

That's what Ancestry DNA test said.

1 hour ago, lds_person_0 said:

If you are even 1 percent a direct blood descendant of a tribe of Israel then you do not have to be adopted into the house of Israel at all.  Does your patriarchal blessing (if you have received it) indicate you are adopted into the house of Israel or does it simply state the tribe from which you are descended?

On a side note, I am approximately a 50% blood descendant of Ishmael.  My father is Arab from the Jerusalem/Jordan area.  On my mothers side I have European ancestry and presume to be gentile with the possibility of mixing in the distant past.  That being said, my patriarchal blessing identifies me as a descendant of the tribe of Ephraim and does not mention adoption, however, I have no idea if blood ancestry is through mixing in my fathers history or mothers. (I have known others who are specifically identified in their patriarchal blessings as being adopted into the house of Israel)

my patriarchal blessing says I will receive my inherited blessings through the loins of Joseph of the tribe of Ephraim.

well if you are righteous there may be something specific in regards to what tribe you're in that you might be called on to do during the millenium. i'd have to go through my OT again as i can't remember the individual tribe covenants.  as of right now though i can't think anything that requires a specific bloodline. I think there is something for if someone could show that they are direct descendant of Aaron, but they'd still have to take on all the other covenents and etc.. first anyways so pretty much would have to go through what others do anyways so it's more or less moot.

4 minutes ago, Blackmarch said:

well if you are righteous there may be something specific in regards to what tribe you're in that you might be called on to do during the millenium. i'd have to go through my OT again as i can't remember the individual tribe covenants.  as of right now though i can't think anything that requires a specific bloodline. I think there is something for if someone could show that they are direct descendant of Aaron, but they'd still have to take on all the other covenents and etc.. first anyways so pretty much would have to go through what others do anyways so it's more or less moot.

If an individual can establish they are a direct decedent of Aaron and are of appropriate age it is that individuals "legal" spiritual right to be called as bishop in any area in which they live (it is their choice to decide if they want to enact this right).  Also, if the current Presiding Bishop is not a direct decedent of Aaron then the same applies to a worthy decedent of appropriate age should they make the claim (however, to my knowledge this has never happened although the first situation is more likely to have happened).

2 hours ago, lds_person_0 said:

If an individual can establish they are a direct decedent of Aaron and are of appropriate age it is that individuals "legal" spiritual right to be called as bishop in any area in which they live (it is their choice to decide if they want to enact this right).  Also, if the current Presiding Bishop is not a direct decedent of Aaron then the same applies to a worthy decedent of appropriate age should they make the claim (however, to my knowledge this has never happened although the first situation is more likely to have happened).

In point of fact, D&C 68 does not establish the right of any class of individuals to be called as a bishop.  What literal descendants of Aaron do have under that section, subject to the approval of the First Presidency, is the right to serve as a bishop without ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood.  

On 3/26/2017 at 1:18 PM, NeuroTypical said:

My DNA test haplotype originates in the middle east.  So now we must be foes.  Y'all are totally wrong about which son father Abraham chose, or something.

My DNA (and my face) says I'm from the Far East. So, we had civilization while y'all were still dwelling in caves.  And BTW, you stole our steelworking technology for your precious Damascus steel. :ninja:

6 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

In point of fact, D&C 68 does not establish the right of any class of individuals to be called as a bishop.  What literal descendants of Aaron do have under that section, subject to the approval of the First Presidency, is the right to serve as a bishop without ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood.  

And it is only the office of First Bishop, not the bishop of a ward.

On 3/27/2017 at 0:03 AM, Traveler said:

It is rounded.  When you start getting into fractions of a percentage -- and it is broken down by partials from both sides of a line, it can eventually be a number that rounds to an odd number.

57/128 to 58/128 is about 45%.

Edited by Guest