Texas Get Together

1 minute ago, zil said:

Yes, hence the new paragraph.  Totally different route for me vs. Gator...  Oh, you thought I'd be coming from the compound, nope, opposite direction... ;)

Wait, are you being serious?  Would you be interested in joining us?

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Wait, are you being serious?  Would you be interested in joining us?

Interested, yes.  Able, if you met in Dallas (or north), highly improbable (though more probable the farther north you go); if you met anywhere south of Dallas, impossible.

31 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

What about non-alcoholic wine?  I've tried them three times in my life.  One of them was actually good.

We call that grape juice where I come from. ;) 

Just now, Eowyn said:

We call that grape juice where I come from. ;) 

Have you ever tried very chilled Ocean Spray Cran-Grape?  It tastes very similar to he "good" non-alcoholic wine I had.

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

Have you ever tried very chilled Ocean Spray Cran-Grape?  It tastes very similar to he "good" non-alcoholic wine I had.

I haven't but now I kind of want to. 

I actually grow and juice my own grapes. Nothing like home canned concord grape juice. But Cran-Grape actually sounds really good.

1 minute ago, Eowyn said:

I haven't but now I kind of want to. 

I actually grow and juice my own grapes. Nothing like home canned concord grape juice. But Cran-Grape actually sounds really good.

I thought you lived a little too far north for good grape growing?  Is that incorrect?  And what do you think of niagra grapes?

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I thought you lived a little too far north for good grape growing?  Is that incorrect?  And what do you think of niagra grapes?

We're in a sort of banana belt, and actually the western part of our county has quite a large swath of vineyards and wineries (and orchards), right along the Snake River. It's really beautiful. 

I've only ever grown concords and Thompsons. Maybe we are too far north for Niagras? 

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

After all, what would @Godless do while we're all sitting there for four hours listening to conference?  

I know enough industry people in Houston to get myself in a lot of trouble if left to my own devices. 

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

San Antoinio is a ways away.  But I've made such day trips for work.  It took all day to make a three hour visit.  If you want to crash on our couch for an over-nighter, you'd be welcome.

Probably couldn't do an over-nighter, though I appreciate the offer. I could probably swing a day trip on a Saturday though.

Speaking of soda, there's an amazing BBQ place (think Franklin's minus the lines) in San Antonio that makes incredible homemade root beer. And believe it or not, I currently have a Houston-made root beer on tap at work.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

@DoctorLemon, @NightSG,

I remember both of you being from Texas.  Would you be interested?  NightSG is in Dallas, I believe.  Doc, where are you?

I am in Spring.  It is going to be really awkward if you wind up being my bishop or something...

Hey, I would be willing to fly out for a get-together in Texas. I need to use my flight benefits more often!  The easiest city to get to, for me, is Houston since United has a hub there. But, I could connect there and fly pretty much any where in Texas. I also have family in the Houston area.  

15 hours ago, pam said:

If you make me pancit and lumpia I'd be happy to be your family in Utah. :)

We have some pancit in the fridge at the moment, left over from my son's missionary farewell party on Saturday night. By popular request my wife will be making some more tonight for some sort of Relief Society celebration this week.

14 hours ago, anatess2 said:

GOODY!  I'll even make you adobo if you have an extra corner for 2 teen-agers... they're both housebroken.  it's too late to make arrangements for this conference but I'll definitely try to swing by for future get togethers.

Adobo in the fridge as well at the moment, also from last Saturday night.