Something I noticed about the 4 conference sessions

37 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I think the problem is that there's only 9 female leaders in the church so you don't have much to work with in the first place. Maybe we need more female leadership in the church. I have several female relatives who by their facebook posts were hurt by only 1 female speaker.

Now we get to the heart of the matter. You believe we need more female leadership and are upset that we don't. 

1) Why do you think we need more female leadership in the Church?  Is it out of a need to feel like women are adequately "represented"? Is it a desire to ensure "equality"?  What is the basis for this idea?

2) What would you do to create more female leadership?  Young Women's is exclusively women. Primary is almost exclusively women. Relief Society is exclusively women. Out of the major Church organizations at a local level (YM/YW,Primary, RS, EQ, HP, Bishop) 42.8% is women lead and run. The same is true at the Stake level (if you add in High Counsel the percentage drops a bit).  So what exactly do you propose to add in more female leadership?  

The only way you could create more female leadership is either to a) create another organization for women to lead/run or b) give women the Priesthood so they can lead/run Priesthood organizations.

The entire 70s, GA, etc. all come from the Priesthood as in, it is the authority to actually you know run the Church.

This idea that people were "hurt" by only 1 speaker.  Come on please give me a break.  That is something my 6 year old says when she doesn't like what I tell her to do.  Did any speaker say anything nasty about women?  Did any speaker denigrate, demean, call names about women? Did any speaker say anything that in anyway could be made to seem as if they do not respect and honor women?

But just because there was only 1 female speaker they are "hurt".  (Nothing about the message, again only b/c there wasn't another woman). Man, if that is your idea of hurt these people must walk around being "hurt" every second of every day of their lives.  I bet they have no time to think about uplifting others, spreading the Gospel message, about raising a righteous family because they are so "hurt".  I actually feel quite sad for them b/c their lives must be so completely horrible as they walk around expecting everyone else to cater to their every whim b/c if they don't they are "hurt". Quite frankly, that has got to suck b/c I know if I were "hurt" every time something happened I didn't like I'd be living a miserable life.

I actually pity people who are like that-life is too dang short to go about being "hurt" every time something doesn't go your way.

Edited by yjacket

41 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I think the problem is that there's only 9 female leaders in the church so you don't have much to work with in the first place. Maybe we need more female leadership in the church. I have several female relatives who by their facebook posts were hurt by only 1 female speaker.

I think we need exactly the amount of female leadership that the Lord has revealed he wants.  As soon as the Lord reveals additional female leadership positions, I want those too!  Until the Lord reveals the need for additional female leadership positions, I will trust that the Church is being run as it should be.  Kind of reminds me of a little ditty I learned as a kid, I think it went something like this:

"We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God."
Articles of Faith 1:9

Edited by person0

4 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

In the sat and Sunday morning and afternoon sessions there was only 1 female speaker total. Why only 1? That can't make women in the church feel good.

Some years its more, some years its less. Its decided by how the 12 apostles are inspired by the spirit.

38 minutes ago, yjacket said:

Now we get to the heart of the matter. You believe we need more female leadership and are upset that we don't. 

1) Why do you think we need more female leadership in the Church?  Is it out of a need to feel like women are adequately "represented"? Is it a desire to ensure "equality"?  What is the basis for this idea?

2) What would you do to create more female leadership?  Young Women's is exclusively women. Primary is almost exclusively women. Relief Society is exclusively women. Out of the major Church organizations at a local level (YM/YW,Primary, RS, EQ, HP, Bishop) 42.8% is women lead and run. The same is true at the Stake level (if you add in High Counsel the percentage drops a bit).  So what exactly do you propose to add in more female leadership?  

The only way you could create more female leadership is either to a) create another organization for women to lead/run or b) give women the Priesthood so they can lead/run Priesthood organizations.

The entire 70s, GA, etc. all come from the Priesthood as in, it is the authority to actually you know run the Church.

This idea that people were "hurt" by only 1 speaker.  Come on please give me a break.  That is something my 6 year old says when she doesn't like what I tell her to do.  Did any speaker say anything nasty about women?  Did any speaker denigrate, demean, call names about women? Did any speaker say anything that in anyway could be made to seem as if they do not respect and honor women?

But just because there was only 1 female speaker they are "hurt".  (Nothing about the message, again only b/c there wasn't another woman). Man, if that is your idea of hurt these people must walk around being "hurt" every second of every day of their lives.  I bet they have no time to think about uplifting others, spreading the Gospel message, about raising a righteous family because they are so "hurt".  I actually feel quite sad for them b/c their lives must be so completely horrible as they walk around expecting everyone else to cater to their every whim b/c if they don't they are "hurt". Quite frankly, that has got to suck b/c I know if I were "hurt" every time something happened I didn't like I'd be living a miserable life.

I actually pity people who are like that-life is too dang short to go about being "hurt" every time something doesn't go your way.

You're coming off as a real insensitive jerk with your words you know that. So Im not respecting you here with an answer cuz what's the point? It's obvious you dont care about women by your tone. 

Edited by Zarahemla

20 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I think some kindness all around could go a long way here.

I should hope that my first couple of paragraphs were not taken in any unkind.

The later portion-I do not intend to be ugly in any sense.  I just find completely illogical, unnecessary and if fact melodramatic every time someone uses the phase "I was hurt" b/c of ..... and instead of referencing something horrible someone said (i.e. "cops are pigs"-no offense to mirkwood) but they reference a cultural setting.

And I must genuinely take these individuals at face value when they say they are hurt.  I don't get it, I really don't, how simply by the cultural setting causes some amount of physic pain to these individuals that they must proclaim they are hurt. And to me, the only logical thing to say is I'm incredibly sorry, you must live an extremely depressing, demoralizing pitiful life that every time a social setting doesn't conform to what you'd like, you have such massive physic pain that you must proclaim you are hurt. 

And yes, this occurs frequently with my children-they don't like the setting whatever it is and then they pout their lips, cry, if they are older stomp their feet say "this isn't fair".  And I say, I know it isn't fair, get used to it.  If you go around your entire life getting upset and being hurt every time you think life isn't fair to you-you are going to lead a pretty miserable life.

And if they aren't leading a miserable life, then that means either a) they really aren't hurt, they just want to proclaim they are to garner praise, attention, and draw out that "life isn't fair" and everyone should acquiese to their demands or b) they have a very interesting sense of fairness, b/c I see that life isn't fair, "equal, etc. all around me, all the time, every day and I guess that means they only see it at certain points and are blind to all the other unfairness in life.

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, yjacket said:

You wouldn't respect my opinion, regardless if I covered it with cherries.

If your opinion was a pizza and you covered it with mushrooms, you could talk to me for hours bro. 

Seriously everyone, when I come to your house for dinner- I love mushrooms on my pizza. Take notes. 

Edited by MormonGator

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

If your opinion was a pizza and you covered it with mushrooms, you could talk to me for hours bro. 

Seriously everyone, when I come to your house, I love mushrooms on my pizza. Take notes. 

You're just a fun-gi.

13 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

And why should I? 

And here we have it. Instead debating the logical or perhaps my illogical arguments (if they are) you decide to just simply throw them out.  I'm obviously not a woman and therefore nothing I say could possibly have relevance to you or your life?

Thus in your desire to not listen to my arguments, you have proven my point that some people only want to hear a message if is preached to them by the "right" person.  The message doesn't matter, it is whether the person delivering them is male,female, white, black, etc.  And those individuals-whether they know it or not are actually the worst sexists, bigots, racists, etc.  Because what they are saying is that the message doesn't matters, what really matter is whether the person delivering the message is of the "right" type.

-----

I mean this in all sincerity and honesty.  I really do feel pity that you and/or your friends feel deep physic pain (i.e. are hurt) b/c there was only 1 female speaker in GC. 

Because there is whole lot of unfairness in the world; I look around me and at my life and boy I could sure feel quite sorry for myself and if I felt hurt at every slight and whim on life, I'd be quite miserable.

Edited by yjacket

Guest MormonGator
20 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

And why should I? 

Zarahelma, you need to learn to respect others opinions, even if you don't like them or what they say. I get it, I'm not perfect either and it's hard sometimes to see the person past their opinion, but you need to do that. 

35 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

You're coming off as a real insensitive jerk with your words you know that. So Im not respecting you here with an answer cuz what's the point? It's obvious you dont care about women by your tone. 

No, I just refuse to cater to the emotionally laden words that are used to back people into a corner so that the only "correct" response is the equivalent of saying "there,there, I'm so, so sorry about the bad man".  If life is honest to goodness that bad where you felt pain and suffering over this issue-then I'm extremely sorry for that and I wish you were able to live a happier life (b/c I know that if this causes this much pain and suffering, tons and tons of other things must cause waaaaay more suffering than this). And life is just to short to be consumed with such pain.

If all you really are doing is looking to vent against your perceived unfairness in the world; I got news for you life isn't fair-deal with it.

As a member of the Church, I believe in the Prophets and Apostles, I believe they are given the keys to Revelation for the Church as a whole and are given the ability to pick and choose who should give Conference Talks. I sustain them, I support them-I don't agree with everything they do-I don't have to. I recognize as a principle of leadership, people in leadership positions will do and say things I don't agree with or like. That's perfectly fine and natural.  If I'm ever in such positions, I might change some things (hopefully I'm not), until then they are my leaders and unless God directs me to move Churches or go another path any perceived unfairness I just learn to shut up about as in the long run it really doesn't matter.

Edited by yjacket

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, yjacket said:

If all you really are doing is looking to vent against the your perceived unfairness in the world; I got news for you life is unfair-deal with it.

My old man would tell me "You are right, life isn't fair. And you better hope it doesn't get fair. You live in the richest, most free country in the world where everything is at your finger tips. So you are right, it isn't fair. You are very lucky." 

Wise man. 

Edited by MormonGator

4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Well, actually, you were kind of assigning feelings to them...

"That can't make women in the church feel good."

I don't know much about wimmin (despite being married to a wimming for 20 years), but I know it's rare to have them enjoy being told how they should be feeling. 

But you are supposed to know how we feel. But you must be accurate.

Okay, insensitive and sort of humorous post coming up. (do not take anything before my PS seriously...if you do...well...you shouldn't have).

It is right, only 1 woman spoke for the Sunday sessions.  However, it gets FAR worse!!!!!

THERE WERE NO WOMEN who spoke during the PRIESTHOOD SESSION!!!  The HORROR!!!

AND THERE WAS ONLY 1 PRIESTHOOD HOLDER who spoke during the GENERAL WOMAN'S SESSION!!!! The HORROR!!!!

Where is the equality!  We should have at least 50% of the speakers be Priesthood General Authorities from the First Presidency for the General Woman's session!!!

And they didn't really include me!!!!  In the Woman's Session...how could they!!!

And then, in turn around, didn't include my wife or any other woman in the Priesthood Session!!!

The world is going to end, I tell you, the world!  Do you realize just how big that is!!!!!

(PS: As they include the General Woman's Session as a session of General conference (though a week early, so not exactly sure why that is, wouldn't it work better on Friday night or something before the rest of conference?) there were actually 4 woman who spoke in total at General Conference).

I suppose I'm snarky...the above post is wife approved...and she wanted me to clarify she had no desire to go to the Priesthood session even if she could have...and informs me that if I ever thought of dragging her to more conference then she normally goes to she might become violent...

She read through the post and approved it (so I could say it was wife approved), but wanted me to add those items.

Edited by JohnsonJones

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

My old man would tell me "You are right, life isn't fair. And you better hope it doesn't get fair. You live in the richest, most free country in the world where everything is at your fingerprints. So you are right, it isn't fair. You are very lucky." 

Wise man. 

Extremely wise man.

One of the lessons I hammer home all the time to my kids.  Life isn't fair, get used to it.  The best we can do is take what we've got, use all our energy, might, mind and faith and make it better.

Well there you go...

Somebody was looking for the Social Justice Warriors.  Now we got one complete with a Grievance Brigade.  Congratulations, us.

For the record, I'm with @yjacket on this one although, as a woman, I'd rather have the cherries.  Well, actually, I don't like cherries.  Chocolate chips?

Edited by anatess2

6 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

...the world!  Do you realize just how big that is!!!!!

According to the font1 of all knowledge, it's pretty big.  In fact, IT'S BIGGER THAN ANYTHING ON EARTH!!!!  THAT'S HUUUUUGE!

Radius: 3,959 mi

Mass: 5.972 × 10^24 kg

Area: 196.9 million mi²

Surface area: 196.9 million mi²

Gravity: 9.807 m/s²

Distance from Sun: 92.96 million mi

1 Deliberate word choice.  I think it's more like a font than a fount.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

No. Some opinions are not worth respect.

Such as yours. 

I actually agree, not all opinions are worthy of respect, but to me if you disrespect every opinion just because it's not the same as yours (generic usage) that shows more on you.