Something I noticed about the 4 conference sessions

Just now, anatess2 said:

Well there you go...

Somebody was looking for the Social Justice Warriors.  Now we got one complete with Grievance Brigade.  Congratulations, us.

For the record, I'm with @yjacket on this one although, as a woman, I'd rather have the cherries.  Well, actually, I don't like cherries.  Chocolate chips?

anatess,

Even though we disagree from time to time and we can really get into it.  You are a cool cat. I'm glad to have a sparing partner from time to time :-).

Chocolate chips are fine by me.  My one vice . . .chocolate-oh how I love chocolate.  A cartoon of oreos (or anything chocolate) gone in days! 

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I actually agree, not all opinions are worthy of respect, but to me if you disrespect every opinion just because it's not the same as yours (generic usage) that shows more on you. 

I agree with that. But... to expand. People should be respected, as children of God if nothing else. Opinions must have merit. They do not qualify for respect just because they exist. They must be logical and morally sound, etc., or respecting them honors something illogical and/or immoral. Such things do not deserve respect or credence. The disrespect for a view need not translate to disrespect for a person or to incivility (though it is often applied that way (as you so usefully demonstrate with the first sentence of your reply), though it can often be taken for incivility unjustly (as is demonstrated by Zarahemla's response to yjacket)).

Edit: A typo can reverse the meaning of a sentence. "Need to" is very different than "need not".

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I too am with yjacket.

As for Zarahemla's relatives, I can't judge in full their hurt feelings.

However, if I were to wager a guess, I would say the Facebook posts were less about actual feelings and more about making Facebook posts. I get turning to the online community for advice and support, but we also live in a time when the line between sincere online questioning and the search for online fame are blurred.

These hurt females... are they praying and pondering? Are they evaluating their perceptions against other possibilities? Are they reaching out to loved ones and leaders for advice beyond their FB posts?

Or is this mostly about getting attention?

12 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Such as yours.

It should be pointed out, just in case some think as you seem to in this reply (though I expect you don't really think this way, but rather are just trying to be snotty to me because you do not like me), that an opinion is not something that someone is. Everyone has some opinions that are worth respect and everyone (expect the Savior) has some opinions that are not. The idea of disrespecting a person's opinion en masse doesn't make much sense. (Unless it's Satan. I think one could safely say that Satan's opinions should be disrespected entirely).

An idea is it's own thing and stands on its own regardless of who expresses it, how they express it, what other things they might express that are inaccurate, etc.

Applying any of these other things to said opinion by way of refutation is what we call a logical fallacy. Look it up.

27 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Such as yours. 

I actually agree, not all opinions are worthy of respect, but to me if you disrespect every opinion just because it's not the same as yours (generic usage) that shows more on you. 

I'm not disrespecting everybody's opinions just yjacket because of how insensitive he is being. No compassion at all in his posts.

Edited by Zarahemla

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I'm not disrespecting everybody's opinions just yjacket because of how insensitive he is being. No compassion at all in his posts.

Okay. Hope you guys can work through this. @yjacket is a good guy. We've had our moments too but if you actually take the effort to talk to him, he's a stand up dude. I think you are a good kid too, so I'm sure things will be fine in the end. 

Edited by MormonGator

6 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

It is an unwise thing to cast away reason because it is presented in a way that doesn't sit well with one's sense of kindness.

13 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Did it ever, ever occur to you that if these SJWs showed an ounce of compassion for those of more conservative beliefs, compassion might be returned?

Besides, crying over the number of female speakers is stupid. There. I said it.

Sometimes you need compassion, sometimes you need to be told reality.

1 hour ago, Zarahemla said:

It's obvious you dont care about women by your tone. 

As a woman, I did not get "I don't care about women" from that. It sounded more like an expression of irritation with a culture of hyper-sensitivity that has been discussed on these forums before. And for what it's worth, I actually agreed with a lot of what he said and had thought about posting something similar to his first couple of paragraphs myself.

50 minutes ago, yjacket said:

A cartoon of oreos (or anything chocolate) gone in days! 

I wonder how many Oreos it would take to draw the outlines of a typical Pickles cartoon? And maybe we could fill in the colors with macaroons. Or colored-candy coated Oreos.

So... I posted on FB on April 1:  Mr. Anatess, I have an announcement.  I'm pregnant.

And of course I got the comment that it is mean for me to joke about being pregnant because it is offensive to those people who can't get pregnant.  I was wanting to tell them off - well, I'm one of those that can't get pregnant and you're offending me for not getting the joke.

You can, of course, just join the competition of who gets the most offended.  It can be quite fun.  I have 2 handy-dandy minority points I can always fall back on...

42 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

As a woman, I did not get "I don't care about women" from that. It sounded more like an expression of irritation with a culture of hyper-sensitivity that has been discussed on these forums before. And for what it's worth, I actually agreed with a lot of what he said and had thought about posting something similar to his first couple of paragraphs myself.

That's the thing.  I respect women and care very much about them, and I get that there is a lot of sexism and discrimination out there.  As an attorney, in fact, I am in the business of fighting discrimination, sexual harassment, and (in extreme cases) abuse.  I despise the "frat boy" culture in many colleges and workplaces that is so disrespectful towards women (and occasionally dangerous), and I understand I am going to have to raise my daughter to be ready to deal with an ugly and disrespectful world.  I know sexism when I see it, and I am willing to fight true sexism with every fiber of my being.

The problem is when we start seeing discrimination where there is none.  Is there really institutionalized discrimination in the Church?  I don't think so.  Groups like Ordain Women have convinced many people that there is a problem where absolutely none exists.  Unfortunately, in convincing people there is something wrong with the Church, Ordain Women has destroyed the testimonies of hundreds of people, and for what?  I will tell you what - for nothing.

I am one of the most pro-women men you will ever meet.  But if you want to see me get cranky real fast, accuse the Church of being discriminatory - I will speak my mind about this, because I think that this is one of the most destructive and ugly falsehoods I have seen in my lifetime.

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

[attempt-to-walk-the-fine-line-between-outrageous-humor-and-outright-offensiveness on]

Dangit!  It ain't enough for some people that they be gayin' up them boy scouts, now they gotta wimmin up the conference?

trump-temple-hammer-copy-300x172.jpg

[/off]

Wow, you have something to offend just about everyone there! :)  

Should it matter who speaks, what gender they are, what race or ethnicity they are? If we are following the prophet it shouldnt matter. The speakers are called by inspiration. If we start nitpicking on these issues its because our faith is waivering, its because we arent living very charitable or Christlike. Its sad because growing up in the church some 30 years ago as a young teenager these things were unheard of. Now its like a bad disease, a bad taste that wont leave. 

8 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Is there really institutionalized discrimination in the Church?  I don't think so.  

To be literal and totally fair, there IS institutional discrimination in the church. Women cannot hold the priesthood. That is discriminatory. Factually. Literally. Unquestionably.

In point of fact, the only women protesters who even have any sense of reason to their protests in America are those protesting against the discrimination in religion, because the government and workplace "institutional" discrimination claims are bogus. (Personal individual discrimination is, of course, a real thing and a problem still).

The real question, when it comes to the church, is whether all discrimination is wrong.

8 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

But if you want to see me get cranky real fast, accuse the Church of being discriminatory - I will speak my mind about this, because I think that this is one of the most destructive and ugly falsehoods I have seen in my lifetime.

Oh...man....I guess I stepped in it.

Sorry. Facts are facts though.

Of course the meaning of discrimination comes into play. By some contemporary definitions it becomes specifically "unjust" treatment of others. By this definition I agree with you. There is no "unjust" discrimination in the church. But by a more general and truer definition -- the act of making a distinction and resulting treatment based on a category -- there is, factually, discrimination in the church.

Guest LiterateParakeet
15 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

In the sat and Sunday morning and afternoon sessions there was only 1 female speaker total. Why only 1? That can't make women in the church feel good.

Okay...don't throw tomatoes....but I didn't mind because generally speaking I don't care for the female speakers at General Conference, with the notable exceptions of Sheri Dew and Cheiko Okazaki.  So yeah, it doesn't bother me.  I admit I was happy when they started having sisters say some of the prayers though. 

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Okay...don't throw tomatoes....but I didn't mind because generally speaking I don't care for the female speakers at General Conference, with the notable exceptions of Sheri Dew and Cheiko Okazaki.  So yeah, it doesn't bother me.  I admit I was happy when they started having sisters say some of the prayers though. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the lone female talk this session, but I confess many past female speakers had vocal mannerisms that grated on me.

10 hours ago, Eowyn said:

@NeuroTypical , why does that picture exist, and why did you have to share it here?  :gnash:

Heh.  Answer to your first question: "Because, internet."  I honestly don't know the details.  I was doing a google image search of "LDS Hillbilly" and it came up.

Answer to your second question is found in the text of my profile under 'religion'.  I probably need an infraction.