Every year, in the Saturday afternoon session of Conference, we hear the statistical report, during which we are told the number of missionaries currently serving and the number of baptisms in the previous year, both new converts and children of record. While listening to President Eyring’s Saturday morning address, it occurred to me that it would be interesting to hear some statistical information about temple ordinances eg: number of baptisms, confirmations, endowments and sealings in the previous year.

Is anybody else interested in hearing this information?  

Is it already publicly available somewhere?

Does the Family History Department have a suggestion box that I could send this suggestion to? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd specifically like to see the empirical data showing how eagle scouts are more likely to go on missions, then marry in temple and then have kids and then also have kids who are active.  We have been told this ad infinitum over the years, but I see lots of rm with eagles getting divorce ed or not marrying at all because they are well....who knows. Mebbe their mom earned the eagle for them and now they realize they got a free trophy lol.

Just curious. I have done all the above cept the mission thing. I'm told lack of mission service is actually the real reason people fall away or don't check all the lifetime achievement boxes. Anyway, would be interesting to see. I guarantee they have the numbers on this. Too bad we will never see it, might be interesting.

Guest MormonGator
15 minutes ago, paracaidista508 said:

I'd specifically like to see the empirical data showing how eagle scouts are more likely to go on missions, then marry in temple and then have kids and then also have kids who are active.  We have been told this ad infinitum over the years, but I see lots of rm with eagles getting divorce ed or not marrying at all because they are well....who knows. Mebbe their mom earned the eagle for them and now they realize they got a free trophy lol.

I grew up Catholic. The only Eagle Scout I know got a girl pregnant at 17 (she was 15), got divorced twice and has two other illegitimate children. He's an absolute train wreck.

Yes, I know that 90% of Eagle scouts aren't like that, but the contrast was so funny. I was never a scout and when people talk about how noble and wonderful Eagle Scouts are, I think of this guy. 

Again, I know 90% of Eagle scouts are great people, and we all sin, no one is perfect, etc-I just found it funny that the one I knew was a, um, troubled dude. 

Edited by MormonGator

3 hours ago, paracaidista508 said:

Just curious. I have done all the above cept the mission thing. I'm told lack of mission service is actually the real reason people fall away or don't check all the lifetime achievement boxes. Anyway, would be interesting to see. I guarantee they have the numbers on this. Too bad we will never see it, might be interesting.

Ugh.  Eagle Scout helicopter mommies... one of the banes of our existence.

One thing I know... Eagle Scout award counts for a lot in admittance to any of the Military Academies.  And, lots of employers put weight on the Eagle Scout award on a resume.  It's one of those things that the males can still hold as an ace card over female affirmative action.

On 13/04/2017 at 2:08 PM, bytebear said:

Apparently its not published any more, I asked my wife to get me one last week and that's what she was told. I have most of the Almanacs from the mid 1990's to 2012 and they don't include any information on the number of temple ordinances that have been performed.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, anatess2 said:

Ugh.  Eagle Scout helicopter mommies... one of the banes of our existence.

One thing I know... Eagle Scout award counts for a lot in admittance to any of the Military Academies.  And, lots of employers put weight on the Eagle Scout award on a resume.  It's one of those things that the males can still hold as an ace card over female affirmative action.

My wife (who I love dearly) was a Girl Scout and would counter they have an equal award that is just as prestigious (if people knew about it).  I think it's called the Gold Award.

11 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

My wife (who I love dearly) was a Girl Scout and would counter they have an equal award that is just as prestigious (if people knew about it).  I think it's called the Gold Award.

It is my understanding that Robert Baden-Powell’s reason for founding the Boy Scouts was because young men (boys) entering the military were ill prepared and unable to adjust to the rigors that they must face.  It was not his intention to prepare boys to be “killing” machines but that they are able to function in the outdoors on their own and receive instruction necessary for an individual facing combat conditions (excluding actual combat training). 

I am of a different mind – I believe that all young men should be trained for combat and serve in the military (similar to Israel and Switzerland).  I believe that the once proud tradition of scouts has been “dumbed down” and that there is an effort to demean manhood.  I am not sure that we should consider the roles of men and women to be equal and interchangeable.   I am not sure I know where the lines between the differences should be drawn.   I realize that some women are more capable for combat than some men but I do not know if ladies should be held to the same standards as men – and vice versa. 

I think those that think Girl Scouts should prepare young girls for the same responsibilities that Boy Scouts are preparing young men – are a little disconnected with reality.  In general I believe the roles of men and women are different – but I am unwilling to draw the exact line between the differences beyond generalities. 

Having served in the military myself – I will say this.  If women are to serve in combat in the military their training and standards should (must) be the exact same as men.  It appeared that not all men I trained with were suited for combat and I would pray at night that I would never have to serve in combat with them.  If we are to expect our girls to serve in combat alongside our boys – I would hope that all expected to be deployed to combat can meet a minimum standard – or serve elsewhere, as long as there is an option.

The Traveler

41 minutes ago, Traveler said:

It is my understanding that Robert Baden-Powell’s reason for founding the Boy Scouts was because young men (boys) entering the military were ill prepared and unable to adjust to the rigors that they must face.  It was not his intention to prepare boys to be “killing” machines but that they are able to function in the outdoors on their own and receive instruction necessary for an individual facing combat conditions (excluding actual combat training). 

I am of a different mind – I believe that all young men should be trained for combat and serve in the military (similar to Israel and Switzerland).  I believe that the once proud tradition of scouts has been “dumbed down” and that there is an effort to demean manhood.  I am not sure that we should consider the roles of men and women to be equal and interchangeable.   I am not sure I know where the lines between the differences should be drawn.   I realize that some women are more capable for combat than some men but I do not know if ladies should be held to the same standards as men – and vice versa. 

I think those that think Girl Scouts should prepare young girls for the same responsibilities that Boy Scouts are preparing young men – are a little disconnected with reality.  In general I believe the roles of men and women are different – but I am unwilling to draw the exact line between the differences beyond generalities. 

Having served in the military myself – I will say this.  If women are to serve in combat in the military their training and standards should (must) be the exact same as men.  It appeared that not all men I trained with were suited for combat and I would pray at night that I would never have to serve in combat with them.  If we are to expect our girls to serve in combat alongside our boys – I would hope that all expected to be deployed to combat can meet a minimum standard – or serve elsewhere, as long as there is an option.

The Traveler

Thank you for your service.

I'm not really a military sort of fellow myself, but I appreciate the freedom that I have due to the actions of those that chose to serve.

So thank you.

12 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Ah yes, for excellence in macrame and sleeping in cabins.
Frankly, with the possible exception of urinary firefighting, I can't think of any Boy Scout skills in the last three decades that wouldn't be equally beneficial for girls to learn.  Certainly lifesaving, first aid and wilderness survival know no gender distinction.  Any of those three could keep your kids alive when something goes wrong.

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

Thank you for your service.

I'm not really a military sort of fellow myself, but I appreciate the freedom that I have due to the actions of those that chose to serve.

So thank you.

I do not believe that I ever was (or am now) a military sort of fellow myself.  I joined only because I thought that by so doing I could guarantee to serve a church mission (Vietnam era).  I came away from the experience convinced that non-military sort of fellows are a core and necessary element of a military that remains dedicated to preserving a free society. 

The Traveler