Birds are dinosaurs!

Sunday21

That has indeed been the scientific thinking for about a decade, that birds are the last surviving dinosaurs.   

Now only if they would consider red pandas to be real bears again...

I've known this for a while now - ever since wife and daughters started doing 4H and having chickens and turkeys and stuff.  I noticed the young flock of turkeys would run across a yard to see something, looking and sounding exactly like the velociraptors from Jurassic Park.  And looking into a chicken's eyes, you can see an ancient rage, as if chickens realize they used to be top of the pecking order a few million years ago, until it was all ripped away from them by meteoric chance, and now they live these ridiculous and offensive short lives of subservience to a bunch of hairless apes who eat them.  It's in their eyes.  They don't like what evolution has dealt them, and they are just inches away from launching a global chicken revolution and regaining their former glory, but then they get trapped by a straight piece of fence or something, and can't make it to the last meeting.  

Image may contain: text

Image may contain: bird, text and outdoor

Image result for angry chicken

Edited by NeuroTypical

There is a great book titled “Dinosaur Heresies” by Dr. Bakker.  I believe the first edition was written about 20 years ago (when I read it).  Dr. Bakker is the scientist (paleontologist) modeled in the original Jurassic Park books.  The idea that dinosaurs were warm blooded has been around a long time and is championed by Dr. Bakker.  It was the warm-blooded concept that led to the acceptance of evolving into birds.

I personally found Dr. Bakker’s input into the extinction of the dinosaurs most intriguing.  His input has a possible impact into understanding evolution – a subject I would not mind discussing but not sure if some would consider it hijacking the thread.  I often wonder how those that refuse to consider evolution deal with the heresies caused by Dinosaurs – in both science and religion.

Interesting side note - I borrowed the book from a friend that I have not seen for several years until a couple of weeks ago when I ran across him - he is a recent addition to one of the SLC area temples as a worker.  Just in case some think that believing in evolution excludes someone from being a worthy LDS.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Every Thanksgiving for the past ten or fifteen years, I have entertained the children by yelling at the cooked turkey: "Oh, how the mighty have fallen! You ruled the planet for 200 MILLION YEARS, did you? Drove us into hiding in tunnels underground, did you? Oh, yes, cower before the mighty T-Rex! Well, who's eating whom NOW? HAH! MAMMALS RULE!"

Or words to that effect.

21 minutes ago, Blackmarch said:

sort of.

No, it is actually scientifically correct that Birds are 100%, bona-fide dinosaurs.  

I don't know it can be said that all dinosaurs are birds, but it is true that all birds are dinosaurs.  

I know wikipedia is hardly the most accurate source out there, but if you look up birds: "Birds (Aves), a subgroup of reptiles, are the last living examples of dinosaurs."

This was a big deal back when I was in college, and all of my biology professors made a big deal about it.

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

@NeedleinA. Thank you for the video! Very fun!

You are welcome @Sunday21, I've enjoyed it. 

Timeline mark = 30:15 starts what I like from it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Higby_Schweitzer

Mary Higby Schweitzer is a paleontologist at North Carolina State University, who is known for leading the groups that discovered the remains of blood cells in dinosaur fossils and later discovered soft tissue remains in the Tyrannosaurus rex specimen MOR 1125

Please feel free to hijack the thread @Traveler, it would be fun to hear;)

Edited by NeedleinA

17 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Bored? Have some time to burn? Here is a fun "documentary". Warning, first 3 minutes are corny, like a old LDS video, then it gets fun;)

Very good film. I have long known that dinosaurs are indeed dragons and went extinct mostly in the dark ages.

What troubles me is that with so much mounting evidence, the dino soft tissue is huge, that some scientists start changing the rules to only fit their beloved paradigm. I do feel confident however that the great scientists who are uncovering the truth are not backing down. 

On April 21, 2017 at 1:35 PM, DoctorLemon said:

No, it is actually scientifically correct that Birds are 100%, bona-fide dinosaurs.  

I don't know it can be said that all dinosaurs are birds, but it is true that all birds are dinosaurs.  

I know wikipedia is hardly the most accurate source out there, but if you look up birds: "Birds (Aves), a subgroup of reptiles, are the last living examples of dinosaurs."

This was a big deal back when I was in college, and all of my biology professors made a big deal about it.

Im sure they did. It's a semantical debate.

On 4/20/2017 at 9:33 PM, Vort said:

Every Thanksgiving for the past ten or fifteen years, I have entertained the children by yelling at the cooked turkey: "Oh, how the mighty have fallen! You ruled the planet for 200 MILLION YEARS, did you? Drove us into hiding in tunnels underground, did you? Oh, yes, cower before the mighty T-Rex! Well, who's eating whom NOW? HAH! MAMMALS RULE!"

Or words to that effect.

True, but can we fly?

(Except in aeroplanes.)

(OKOK...neither can turkeys! Haha!)