Kids and school lunches and what Christ would do

Backroads

10 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I have a big headache today and my reading comprehension might not be the best, but could she be asking for permission to send food and have you keep it there?

Maybe. Rereading the letter it was a vague statement. 

So I just sent her an email with that innocent assumption.

44 minutes ago, pam said:

I wouldn't even do that.  Teachers already spend a tremendous amount of their own time on classroom things.  Why should the teacher have to spend more time preparing and keeping snacks.  She is the teacher not the parent.

I do keep snacks.  For myself, my TA, and any subs. Desk drawer, far back. Now y'all just need to find my classroom and you can have some, too. (Though now that I think about it I've possibly given enough details over the course of years on this board that someone probably could find my classroom.)

Students can bring their own darn snacks. (This is a thing.)

I'm not opposed to storing parent-purchased snacks in my closet. But, really, is any non-perishable no-prep food that can survive in a teacher closet better than cafeteria food?

Edited by Backroads

So, yeah, I sent that email...

Mom apologized for making it sound like she would be sending the snacks. But she had read an article saying most teachers kept snacks on hand for kids and if I could look into getting some healthy ones...

:disenchanted::combust:

Edited by Backroads

27 minutes ago, Backroads said:

Mom apologized for making it sound like she would be sending the snacks. But she had read an article saying most teachers kept snacks on hand for kids and if I could look into getting some healthy ones...

I don't know why I get surprised by people. That woman has... Nerve. 

Do not supply food for her kid. In fact, tell her you have Skittles and Cheetos. That works, right? Fruit and cheese?

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I don't know why I get surprised by people. That woman has... Nerve. 

Do not supply food for her kid. In fact, tell her you have Skittles and Cheetos. That works, right? Fruit and cheese?

Better yet, tell her about your secret stash of whiskey and Marlboro

Actually, Vort's letter from page one, with a little tweaking, is still good advice.  

Dear Little Linda's mom,

Thanks for your clarification. I love having Little Linda as a student and I think she's a great kid.

I understand your feelings and respect that you want to feed your daughter healthy foods. I'm not sure what article you read, but I'm her teacher, not her mother, and it would be both inappropriate and against school policy for me to bring her snacks. But feel free to send Little Linda to school with her snacks; she will be allowed to eat them at lunchtime and at other appropriate times during the day.

If you want the school to provide food for Little Linda, the school lunch program is the way the school discharges that duty. My understanding is that the school lunches are nutritious and pleasant. If you have concerns about them, please feel free to discuss that with the administration. The principal can be reached at 987-654-3210, and by email at [email protected].

Thanks,

Little Linda's teacher

3 hours ago, Backroads said:

Oh man; yeap I'd probably explode a bomb on her too!!  So what if you read an article that says "most teachers keep snacks on hand".  If you read an article that says most people drink, do you drink too.

You know the world would be so so much better if people actually took care of their own crap instead of relying upon everyone else to put up their junk when they don't feel like it. At least you know what kind of a person she is now.

I feeeeeel your pain . . .oh I feel it.

Edited by yjacket

4 hours ago, Backroads said:

Oh. My. Word.

12 hours ago, Backroads said:

Just tell her:

I'm sorry, but in today's world, I could get into a lot of trouble if I gave unapproved (by the school) food to any of my students.  I'm not even sure if it's legal.  So I'm not sure who wrote that article that you referred to.

But if you choose to send something, I'd be glad to keep it on hand for your child.

Edited by Guest

On 4/21/2017 at 11:50 PM, pam said:

I wouldn't even do that.  Teachers already spend a tremendous amount of their own time on classroom things.  Why should the teacher have to spend more time preparing and keeping snacks.  She is the teacher not the parent.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:02 AM, Backroads said:

Okay, my childrens' classrooms for all their Elementary years has a Food Fridge.  My oldest kid who is not in Montessori spent 5 years in Elementary where all 5 classrooms has a Teacher's fridge (not supplied by the school).  My younger kid is in the Montessori and the fridge is a standard classroom supply.  It goes with the class garden.  There's a system for use of that fridge that is part of classroom ethics. 

The non-Montessori fridge is controlled by the teacher.  It's her fridge and so it has different rules for each teacher.  But, all 5 years my kids have been there the parents have taken turns stocking that fridge with stuff for the kids.  I've stocked those fridges on a regular basis because my kid is always hungry and I don't want the teacher to tell him he can't eat what's in it - he basically gets first dibs at anything in that fridge that is not the teacher's food.  Some teachers bring food for the kids during testing time.

Montessori fridge has always been stocked by the classroom - it works in the same way as the pencils and paper in the classroom - if you put it in the fridge, that means it's for everybody.  If you want it just for your child, you don't put it in that fridge.  There's a daily assignment schedule for Fridge items.  Some kid might be assigned lettuce, another tomato, another deli meat, another bread, and then the class builds the sandwich ready for when kids decide it's their snack time (there's no set snack-time schedule - Montessori doesn't have fixed time schedules except for cafeteria time).  And yes, oftentimes, we are just asked for monetary donations and the teacher/assistant/class mother/etc., buys the stuff.  Anything they harvest out of that garden goes to that fridge.  Oh yeah, the classroom animals also get to use that fridge... so you might have a tub of live nightcrawlers sitting next to the sandwiches.

Maybe your Stake President's wife heard about the Montessori classroom fridge and thought the teacher stocked it.  Silly woman.

Edited by anatess2

Another problem I see with keeping things like fruits and vegetables is, they have a shelf life.  That would mean a teacher would also have to be constantly checking to make sure the snacks are still okay.  I don't know about the school district backroads works in but in the school district my kids went to, nothing could be home made that was meant to be shared in any way.  Everything had to be store bought.  Gets pricey when you want to bring cupcakes for a classroom of 30.  This was because a family that made suckers in their kitchen had a family member that had hepatitis, so the district had to change their policy regarding foods brought for home to be shared.

50 minutes ago, pam said:

Another problem I see with keeping things like fruits and vegetables is, they have a shelf life.  That would mean a teacher would also have to be constantly checking to make sure the snacks are still okay.  I don't know about the school district backroads works in but in the school district my kids went to, nothing could be home made that was meant to be shared in any way.  Everything had to be store bought.  Gets pricey when you want to bring cupcakes for a classroom of 30.  This was because a family that made suckers in their kitchen had a family member that had hepatitis, so the district had to change their policy regarding foods brought for home to be shared.

We had that problem with the food allergies... luckily, it was my kid who has the food allergies, so I trained my kid to only eat stuff he knows he's not allergic to and the classroom didn't have to do anything different.  In the Montessori classroom, the fridge gets emptied out on on Fridays.  Completely.  Good or bad, it gets trashed.  So, every Friday, kids/parents/teachers take stuff out of the fridge they want to bring home.  Now, the pet food also gets trashed if it's still in the fridge after Friday, and the kids have this recycle thing where left-over fruits/veggies of the day gets chopped up for the birds/chickens/bunnies the next day... so whoever is in-charge of the pets on the weekend gets the pet food home with them on Friday.

Edited by anatess2