I Hate My Patriarchal Blessing

I was psyched to get my patriarchal blessing when I was 16. I'd read snippets of my parents' blessings and had been told that my sister's blessing had yielded some fascinating extra-doctrinal nuggets about the pre-mortal life. When the day came, I went to my patriarch's home. He was a wizened old man—liver-spotted hands, cotton-candy white hair in a half-halo around his otherwise bald head. He shook my hand, my parents' hands, and sat me down in a wooden kitchen chair in his living room. Ceramic figurines and floral couches made the scene seem unexpectedly mundane. “This is my personal scripture blessing,” I remember thinking. “Shouldn't it be a little more...mystical?” And then the blessing started. I remember listening as the patriarch rattled off what seemed like a laundry list of formalities. Authority, lineage, a few familiar promises, and then he was wrapping it up. I opened my eyes, and we were done. What just happened? The patriarch shook my hand again, said that he'd pass along my blessing when he...

View the full article

Again . . .what kind of drivel is this?  You guys are really putting out crap articles.

Snowflake generation . . .everyone must be the most awesome, most stupendous person ever . .. everyone will bow at your feet b/c your so awesome.  Oh, you mean I'm actually just a regular guy trying to make it in this world and that the most important things I can do are to raise a righteous family . .. boring!! Life sucks, I hate everything b/c I'm not God's gift to the world!!! 

And in order to pronounce my frustration at how I'm not God's gift to the world I'll write an article and I'll title it "I HATE my Patriarchal Blessing".  Well maybe that is your problem there-your attitude.  Maybe God decided not to give you more insight b/c of your attitude . . . . Why does everything have to be so drama filled these days?

Please, spare me the drivel. 

Edited by yjacket

"I hate this blessing", besides being offensive for said flippancy, sounds like something a little kid would say. (Then once you kept yourself from laughing at them, you'd have to teach them better.)

Well let's see considering this is the same author that wrote the following articles:

https://mormonhub.com/blog/buzz/congrats-trib-pulitzer-prize/ (no need to comment on this trash as the Trib is pretty anti.) and

https://mormonhub.com/blog/life/celebrating-earth-day/

Celebrating Earth Day like a Mormon?  For real?  Do you even know the history behind earth day?

http://www.briansussman.com/environment/earth-days-real-history/

http://www.wnd.com/2012/04/do-you-know-why-earth-day-is-april-22/

In other words, Earth Day was sponsored and promoted by Communists to celebrate Vladimir Lenin's 100th birthday.  It was promoted by a man who had just written "The Population Bomb"-in 1970 and likened the Human Race to a cancer that was getting out of control and how we should control the Earth's population.  Nothing but evil in those opinions.

Is this guy just a useful idiot for the left or does he really believe these things? 

I think your authors need to do some more research before they start writing moronic articles and MormonHub should do a better job screening who writes for them.

Edited by yjacket

Not a fan of the attitude espoused in the beginning of the article, but he gets to a good place in the end; and I don't know that it's a bad thing to have someone who can talk to left-leaning malcontents in their own language.

Can't speak as to the rest of the articles, though.

Speaking in a semi-official capacity, I will note that these forums exist to further the More Good Foundation's overall goals for MormonHub; and the mods who administer the forums do not generally have authority over the other aspects of the site.  By all means feel free to continue (civil) critiques of MH articles; but if you want to submit formal complaints about an article you feel should never have been published or an author you think is undermining the Church's mission--as forum mods, those sorts of issues are simply above our pay grades.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

52 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I don't know that it's a bad thing to have someone who can talk to left-leaning malcontents in their own language.

I believe that was the Savior's approach now that you mention it.....

...or........was it?

;)

If I recall correctly, the only parts of a patriarchal blessing that "must" be there is the lineage part (what "tribe" you are from) and blessing you to come forth in the first resurrection.  Everything else is not required and is essentially just like any other blessing.

So, if you got more than the lineage and blessing to be part of the first resurrection, you had a very good blessing.

I will try and find the reference when I have some more time regarding where I heard the above.

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

but he gets to a good place in the end; and I don't know that it's a bad thing to have someone who can talk to left-leaning malcontents in their own language.

I agree with you; I just think there are much better ways to go about it than writing an article that starts off like a soft anti-Mormon diatribe.

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Speaking in a semi-official capacity, I will note that these forums exist to further the More Good Foundation's overall goals for MormonHub; and the mods who administer the forums do not generally have authority over the other aspects of the site.  By all means feel free to continue (civil) critiques of MH articles; but if you want to submit formal complaints about an article you feel should never have been published or an author you think is undermining the Church's mission--as forum mods, those sorts of issues are simply above our pay grades.

I understand; but maybe those who have a little more 'umph' so-to-speak should kindly inform those who control the other aspects of the site.

What is the More Good Foundation?

More Good Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that helps Mormons (members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint) share their beliefs on the Internet. We operate websites and social media platforms in over 15 languages and provide tools and training to Universities, Institutes and Church Firesides. We work closely with and support other groups and foundations with like-minded missions from all over the world. More Good Foundation was created in 2005 as a solution to the overwhelming need for accurate information about the LDS faith on the Internet. It is operated by a small team of employees along with many volunteers.

We feel it is not too much to ask, in this age of enlightenment and open dialogue, to let us be the ones who tell who we are, what we believe, and why our cause is going forward in such a marvelous way.

With a quote from Ballard right below (see above).  And yet on the front page of https://mormonhub.com/ is an article with the title "I Hate My Patriarchal Blessing".  It's clickbait and certainly not a message that should ever be given considering what the https://www.moregoodfoundation.org/ supposedly stands for . . . I don't know maybe wolf in sheep's clothing?

Some people might read the article and find that oh at the end, it ends in a good place.  Yet most will see it, read a few sentences and move on.  Is that the image the moregoodfoundation wants to cultivate?

I think the article could be a very good article . . .but it needs to go back to the editing board.

Quite sad; I've see another lds forum that back in the day was a pretty good forum-which has now become overrun with doubters and non-believers.  It's not an openly hostile anti-mormon website-but it sure isn't a haven for believers.  What type of person are you attracting and trying to attract with these types of articles? What are people going to think about themoregoodfoundation and lds.net when they read a headline like that?  

I have learned in life that one of the most important things in life is perception and messaging.  The fact that he gets to a good place at the end doesn't matter one whit; what is the overridding message?  It's stated in the title-regardless of what else he states in his article it is clear that not only does was he disappointed but that he hates his blessing.  That's a really strong word to use and belies his true message-regardless of where he gets to at the end.

So yes, I do think it is undermining the Church's mission by publishing articles like that.

I think it is important to publicly say this stuff b/c the article links to this discussion.  At least if someone from the internet saw the article and investigated it a little more they might see that a lot of LDS member severely disagree with the message.

Edited by yjacket

5 minutes ago, zil said:

If that's required, I guess I should give up now.

I have heard that the blessing is generally supposed to have that language in there.  If it is not, it could mean your patriarch forgot to mention this (patriarchs are not infallible!), but it certainly does not mean you won't come forth in the first resurrection!

Or, it could mean your destiny is to be translated. :)  

Edited by DoctorLemon

While I agree that he puts some good ideas in the second part of his talk, nowhere does he revoke or discourage the attitude of hate.  In addition to this showing ingratitude, it reminds me of all those times in the Book of Mormon wherein some wicked person(s) "stir[red] up the hearts of men with anger".  So you're disappointed with your own blessing.  Take it to the Lord in humility.  Cast that burden at his feet and ask him to teach you to read between the lines, to be grateful for what you have received, that you had the gospel in your life, etc.  Don't go inflaming others to think maybe they also should hate the Lord's blessings.

8 minutes ago, zil said:

Ha!

Here is an ask gramps answer regarding this subject:

https://askgramps.org/should-i-be-worried-that-my-patriarchal-blessing-doesnt-state-i-will-come-forth-on-the-first-resurrection/

It does appear that this language is supposed to be in your blessing, but if it happens to not be in there, you shouldn't read too much into it.

5 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Here is an ask gramps answer regarding this subject:

https://askgramps.org/should-i-be-worried-that-my-patriarchal-blessing-doesnt-state-i-will-come-forth-on-the-first-resurrection/

It does appear that this language is supposed to be in your blessing, but if it happens to not be in there, you shouldn't read too much into it.

Oh sure, back-pedal all you want.  Too late.  The secret's out in the open now.  I should warn the bishop he clearly called the wrong person and should fix his mistake before anyone trips over my PB.  I can't believe he didn't check that!

49 minutes ago, zil said:

Oh sure, back-pedal all you want.  Too late.  The secret's out in the open now.  I should warn the bishop he clearly called the wrong person and should fix his mistake before anyone trips over my PB.  I can't believe he didn't check that!

Those Utah mormon-types practically apostates!

1 hour ago, yjacket said:

I agree with you; I just think there are much better ways to go about it than writing an article that starts off like a soft anti-Mormon diatribe.

I understand; but maybe those who have a little more 'umph' so-to-speak should kindly inform those who control the other aspects of the site.

What is the More Good Foundation?

More Good Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that helps Mormons (members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint) share their beliefs on the Internet. We operate websites and social media platforms in over 15 languages and provide tools and training to Universities, Institutes and Church Firesides. We work closely with and support other groups and foundations with like-minded missions from all over the world. More Good Foundation was created in 2005 as a solution to the overwhelming need for accurate information about the LDS faith on the Internet. It is operated by a small team of employees along with many volunteers.

We feel it is not too much to ask, in this age of enlightenment and open dialogue, to let us be the ones who tell who we are, what we believe, and why our cause is going forward in such a marvelous way.

With a quote from Ballard right below (see above).  And yet on the front page of https://mormonhub.com/ is an article with the title "I Hate My Patriarchal Blessing".  It's clickbait and certainly not a message that should ever be given considering what the https://www.moregoodfoundation.org/ supposedly stands for . . . I don't know maybe wolf in sheep's clothing?

Some people might read the article and find that oh at the end, it ends in a good place.  Yet most will see it, read a few sentences and move on.  Is that the image the moregoodfoundation wants to cultivate?

I think the article could be a very good article . . .but it needs to go back to the editing board.

Quite sad; I've see another lds forum that back in the day was a pretty good forum-which has now become overrun with doubters and non-believers.  It's not an openly hostile anti-mormon website-but it sure isn't a haven for believers.  What type of person are you attracting and trying to attract with these types of articles? What are people going to think about themoregoodfoundation and lds.net when they read a headline like that?  

I have learned in life that one of the most important things in life is perception and messaging.  The fact that he gets to a good place at the end doesn't matter one whit; what is the overridding message?  It's stated in the title-regardless of what else he states in his article it is clear that not only does was he disappointed but that he hates his blessing.  That's a really strong word to use and belies his true message-regardless of where he gets to at the end.

So yes, I do think it is undermining the Church's mission by publishing articles like that.

I think it is important to publicly say this stuff b/c the article links to this discussion.  At least if someone from the internet saw the article and investigated it a little more they might see that a lot of LDS member severely disagree with the message.

Noted.

;)

39 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I think many people, I have meet at least two, are disappointed by their PB. I think the article may be comforting to these people. 

I understand.  I agree with zil, there is a better way to approach it.

There have been some very good articles on mormonhub, like:

https://mormonhub.com/blog/faith/learning-surrender-gods-will/

but contrast the above to this article.  The approach, the overall messaging, completely different articles, but in many ways related.  Ultimately, a PB is about learning to surrender to what God would have us do in this life-even if it is just to live a plain ol' boring life, go on a mission, raise a family, or even if he doesn't give us a whole lot of instructions.  Some PBs might contain a whole slew of things, some might not, but ultimately it is about learning to surrender ourselves to what God wants us to do in our lives.

And my guess is that if one does have an awe-inspiring PB, when you are young it might seem cool and awesome but the older you get the more weight and responsibility you might feel.  If it said, "you will one be called as a prophet" a young kid will say oh that's awesome!! and then as he matures it might be, "wow, that is heavy-how can I possibly live up to that" and then it might even crush him. I trust in what the Lord tells each one of use through the PB-if it is "plain" for some reason it is that way; but I don't think being "plain" is bad.  We learn (if we stay worthy in this life) that we are all if we live worthily Kings, Priests, Queens, Priestesses, etc.  

What could be more awesome than that!!  And when we boil it all down, what could be better in life than living a simple Christ centered life, focused on raising a righteous family? Everything and anything else we do in life should always be appendages to raising a righteous family.

Edited by yjacket

His final conclusion was that he received exactly what he needed to receive.  I believe his initial "hatred" of the blessing was merely a reflection of what he actually felt at the time he received it.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and will believe that he was expressing it because many actually are quite disappointed at the scant content of the blessing.  Remember, this article isn't really meant for many who were very satisfied with their blessing (scant or not).  It was written to those others who were disappointed (scant or not).  So, let him show some empathy to draw them in, and carry them through to acceptance, which he finally did.

Guest MormonGator
28 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

His final conclusion was that he received exactly what he needed to receive.  I believe his initial "hatred" of the blessing was merely a reflection of what he actually felt at the time he received it.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and will believe that he was expressing it because many actually are quite disappointed at the scant content of the blessing.  Remember, this article isn't really meant for many who were very satisfied with their blessing (scant or not).  It was written to those others who were disappointed (scant or not).  So, let him show some empathy to draw them in, and carry them through to acceptance, which he finally did.

Amen. Well said. My thoughts as well. 

16 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I think many people, I have meet at least two, are disappointed by their PB. I think the article may be comforting to these people. 

One of my sons is among those "many people". I don't think he needs a therapy group of people crying about how disappointing their patriarchal blessings are to them. I believe he would agree with that assessment.

"Wow! Your patriarchal blessing sucked? Mine, too! The Church must be true!" said no one, ever.