1 Nephi Chapter 1 - May 1, 2017

pam

1 Nephi Chapter 1 contains within its verses a type/shadow of the story of the restoration:
(Due to the many many quotes from the same chapter, I have forgone the use of quote blocks)

4)  There was a spiritual revival in the land:  ". . . there came many prophets, prophesying unto the people that they must repent. . ."

5)  During this time Lehi was inspired to go out and pray:  ". . .went forth prayed unto the Lord, yea, even with all his heart. . ."

6)  He saw a pillar of fire (i.e. pillar of light):  ". . . as he prayed unto the Lord, there came a pillar of fire. . . and he saw and heard much. . ."

7)  He was physically exhausted by the spiritual experience:  ". . . he cast himself upon his bed, being overcome with the Spirit. . ."

8-9) He saw the Father and the Son:  ". . . in a vision. . . he saw the heavens open. . . he saw God. . . he saw One descending. . . his luster was above that of the sun at noon-day. . ."

11-12)  He was given a book which filled him with the Spirit:  ". . .gave unto him a book. . . as he read, he was filled with the Spirit of the Lord."

18)  He went forth, now as a prophet to teach the message he had received:  ". . .he went forth among the people, and began to prophesy and to declare unto them concerning the things which he had both seen and heard."

19)  He was persecuted for his teaching, and for the book:  ". . .the Jews did mock him because of the things which he testified . . . and also the things which he read in the book. . ."

20)  They sought to take away his life:  ". . . they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had cast out, and stoned, and slain; and they also sought his life, that they might take it away."

Interestingly, by reading into this portion of the message of this chapter, it becomes clear that Lehi was likely not officially a prophet until he had this experience resulting in his calling from the Lord.  Joseph Smith experienced the exact same pattern of events above with variation on the specifics in part due to the differences in the calling he received.  God not only calls prophets, he apparently uses a similar pattern in doing so.  Joseph Smith may not himself have even made the connection between his and Lehi's experience, or perhaps he did, but never taught it.  This clear pattern is further evidence to the sincere seeker that both the Book of Mormon and the Church are true!

Edited by person0

Reading the first verse regarding goodly parents made me think of my own parents.  Both have now passed away (my mom less than a month ago).  I got to thinking were my parents goodly parents?  The answer is yes.  While they were not perfect, they did bring me up in the gospel.  They did set an example of the things that I should be doing and taught me and my siblings about  Christ in our home.  They both showed a willingness to do their callings whole heartedly and to the best of their abilities.  They taught me that all people are the same no matter the color of their skin or where they come from.  For that I am grateful.  I have learned to live without prejudice or any type of racial hate.  

So continuing in verse 20 it mentions tender mercies.  I really had never heard that phrase or at least thought about that phrase until a talk that Elder Bednar gave in General Conference.  But here is Nephi talking about the tender mercies of the Lord and how he bestows them on those who keep faithful.  I have seen these tender mercies carried out in the last month.  A lot!!

Carlos E. Asay had this to say about goodly parents:

"I'm convinced that special blessings await the youth who reverence their parents through the good times and the bad times-when honest mistakes are made and when the wise suggestions prove to be right. Most of us, like Nephi, were born of 'goodly parents,' and the best we can offer in return is to strive to be goodly children."(The Road to Somewhere: A Guide for Young Men and Women, p. 94.)

25 minutes ago, pam said:

in verse 20 it mentions tender mercies

1 Nephi 1:20

... But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

Moroni 10:3

... remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

Nephi says he will show it. At the end, Moroni testifies it has been shown.

(This link wasn't my discovery.  I'm sure I learned of it in a GC talk, devotional, or similar presentation.)

• 4 weeks later...