New Stake Requirement

BeccaKirstyn

So at the end of our sacrament meeting today, our bishop announced that all phones need to be turned off during sacrament meeting per the request of the stake presidency. He reiterated "not put on silent, or put away, but turned off". I've heard a lot of different reactions about this from members in my ward. I'm curious what you all think. 

(This is a YSA ward, with a YSA only stake)

Edited by BeccaKirstyn

Today we had stake conference, the sound was too quiet for those back in the gym to be able to hear the speakers well.  I texted all 3 members of the stake presidency and the second counselor responded and increased the volume.  If all phones were off this would not have been possible and the only other method of sharing this information would have been disruptive to the meeting.  That being said, for a normal sacrament meeting, I am certain that it may be more beneficial to a YSA ward/stake to eliminate the distraction of cellular devices than to eliminate the potential distraction of a brief meeting interruption for volume one single time.  I recommend heeding the counsel of your Bishop and Stake President, they both made this announcement after much prayer, knowing that most people would not be happy about it, and knowing that likely many would not heed it.

7 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

So at the end of our sacrament meeting today, our bishop announced that all phones need to be turned off during sacrament meeting per the request of the stake presidency. He reiterated "not put on silent, or put away, but turned off". I've heard a lot of different reactions about this from members in my ward. I'm curious what you all think. 

In my personal experience, obeying the instructions of a priesthood leader1 brings blessings, even when those instructions seem unnecessary or picky or whatever you want to call them.  Doing so without murmuring brings more blessings.

1 Obvious caveats about instructions not being unrighteous.

43 minutes ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

I'm guessing that this is being put into place because of problems being caused by phones.  I would listen to leaders here.  

Guest LiterateParakeet

When I teach teens, I tell them I don't mind if they draw or knit or whatever BUT absolutely no phones. And I'm honest about why...before I took facebook off my phone, I would pick up the phone to look at the manual and the next thing I know I'm on Facebook. If it's that distracting to me, I know it is to them too.

It seems a bit extreme to insist that the phones are turned off rather than just put away, but still this is an easy request to obey. Best to be humble and do it. There are many things we're asked to do that are hard. This one is easy. I would do it.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest MormonGator

I personally wouldn't do it. I need to know that I am connected to the outside world just in case an emergency happens. That doesn't mean I'd stare at my phone all during sacrament, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Just put it on silent and put it in your pocket.

2 hours ago, my two cents said:

It is possible to survive an entire church block without a phone.  Many generations have proven it.

@BeccaKirstyn

I use the notes on my gospel library to take notes during sacrament meeting. It is also where I go to take notes on feelings I feel during the actual sacrament. I could switch to paper, but I have a year of Sunday sacrament notes on my iPhone/iPad. It's nice having it all in one place.I would be pretty frustrated if they said no more of that.

just cause someone has their phone out during the sacrament doesn't mean they are desecrating the ordinance.

Edited by Fether

3 hours ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

all phones need to be turned off during sacrament meeting "not put on silent, or put away, but turned off".

:twothumbsup::clap::twothumbsup::clap::twothumbsup::clap::twothumbsup::clap::twothumbsup::clap::twothumbsup::clap::twothumbsup::clap::twothumbsup::clap::twothumbsup::clap:

We got along pretty well for a very long time before cell phones were even invented.  Whatever benefits they give us in rare situations does not offset the consistent and persistent distractions they present to those using them and those around those that use them.

It's not a question of it being all good or all bad.  It's cost-to-benefits ratio and how often such benefits and costs occur.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Fether said:

during the actual sacrament

The following is for your reference.  It's up to you to decide what to do:

Elder Ballard, https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ces-devotionals/2014/01/be-still-and-know-that-i-am-god?lang=eng

History does repeat itself in the most interesting ways. In the past, Israel preserved the words of the prophets on scrolls. At some point, the early Christians adopted the codex, the early version of the modern book.

Here we are 2,000 years later, and you young people are reading your scriptures on smartphones or tablets—reading them as Jesus did when He was given an Isaiah scroll to read from in Nazareth. You too can “scroll”5—but please, do not “scroll” during the presentation of the sacrament. Surely, during those few minutes you can focus on the Atonement of the Savior as you seek the Spirit of the Lord to bless you for the coming week. And consider putting your smartphone or your tablet in airplane mode for the entire Sunday block. You will still have your scriptures, general conference talks, hymnbook, and manuals, but you will not be distracted by incoming text messages or push notifications.

21 minutes ago, zil said:

The following is for your reference.  It's up to you to decide what to do:

Elder Ballard, https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ces-devotionals/2014/01/be-still-and-know-that-i-am-god?lang=eng

I specifically had this talk in mind while making the post. This is how my sacraments go.

1. Sacrament prayer ends.

2. Open note section of gospel library and go to my sacrament section of my notebook book.

3. List off every covenant I have made in my life (the 5 or 6 covenants involved with baptism and the 5 from the endowment) and do a self evaluation on how well I kept each covenant this week.

4. Type on any spiritual promptings I feel and things I can do to improve for the coming week.

Like all technology, it can be used for good or evil. I don't see apostle getting mad st people writing in journals or reading scriptures/hymns. Again... just cause someone has their tablet put during church does not mean they are ignoring what is going on... after all, the LDS church did put the note section in the app... If I stray from my righteous actions on the tablet, then that is when it becomes a problem.

I find that if im not occupied with deliberate note taking and conscious pondering with a place to put my thoughts, I think about Skyrim, Starwars, Drumline or how badly I want to kiss my fiancé.

Edited by Fether

Paper and pen works just as well (probably better, since most of us can handwrite more quickly than touchscreen type). Transcribing it later into your device would be a worthwhile Sabbath activity, and give you the opportunity to reflect on it again.

I suspect that some in the congregation cannot resist the urge to become distracted thus all are asked to sacrifice so that none of the flock are lost. To me this is similar to all Mormons giving up alcohol. Some people will have a problem so we all give up the booze. 

I now find my garments comforting but when I first got them, I found them to be a nuisance and uncomfortable. I told myself that I was wearing them to deter some people from breaking the law of chasity. Picture the guilty parties in a hotel room. 'Oh this is taking too long! Let's just watch tv!' Who knows how many people are deterred by that extra layer of clothing? Well I thought it was funny! 

Guest MormonGator
47 minutes ago, Fether said:

find that if im not occupied with deliberate note taking and conscious pondering with a place to put my thoughts, I think about Skyrim, Starwars, Drumline or how badly I want to kiss my fiancé.

Amen to all of us. Though when I think about kissing my fiancee, my wife gets a little irritated. 

My sister goes to a YSA ward. She went to Stake Conferance last week. She came home and said that everyone was on their phone, and talking between themselves. Those around her were either on Facebook, Snapchat or texting other people. It was so bad she couldn't concentrate on the meeting and didn't get anything out of it. It was more because people where talking but the general feeling was that no one was listening and everyone was distracted. I think it's probably a big problem for the YSA group because they are so connected to their phones.

Another example is of a couple of newlyweds stitting in front of me the other week (Young Adults) both phones out, both playing games. Wasn't trying to snoop it's just hard not to see when your behind them.

I think the Stake Presidency is probably trying to teach the Young Adults that there is a time and place for everything. And during church isn't the time or place to play games or be on social media. I think in the long run its a good lesson to learn. It is a generational  problem and they do need to learn there is life outside of phones. 

Edited by miav

1 minute ago, miav said:

I think the Stake Presidency is probably trying to teach the Young Adults that there is a time and place for everything. And during church isn't the time or place to play games or be on social media. I think in the long run its a good lesson to learn. It is a generational  problem and they do need to learn their is life outside of phones. 

Well there is a time and a place and church isn't one of them.  Cell phones are one of my biggest pet peeves.

My Bushop tells us that you can't get into Facebook in our chapel. How do I know? The bishop was giving a lesson one day in which he had planned to show a video located on Facebook. He discovered that you cannot get to Facebook in the chapel. I must verify this! I admit that it seems unlikely. I will check! 

4 hours ago, BeccaKirstyn said:

Sounds like a commy plot. Not a big fan of church police. Our bishop texts people to ask them to get up and bear their testimonies during fast and testimony meetings. Thats how cool our bishop is.

4 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

Sounds like a commy plot. Not a big fan of church police. Our bishop texts people to ask them to get up and bear their testimonies during fast and testimony meetings. Thats how cool our bishop is.

Really?  A commy plot?  Give me a break.  So a Bishop makes a decision that he feels in the best interest of his congregation and it's a commy plot?

7 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

My Bushop tells us that you can't get into Facebook in our chapel. How do I know? The bishop was giving a lesson one day in which he had planned to show a video located on Facebook. He discovered that you cannot get to Facebook in the chapel. I must verify this! I admit that it seems unlikely. I will check! 

YouTube is blocked at all LDS chapels.  They are able to block access to whatever site they want.  Now if you're not on the wifi - if you're using your cell's data plan - then you can do whatever you want.