Star Trek or Star Wars?

Hard hard hard hard hard hard hard hard call...

I love Star Trek. (In my single days I used to disconnect the telephone whenever Star Trek was on - I hated people calling me in the middle my weekly Kirk/Picard/Sisko/Janeway fix. The trouble was I would forget to reconnect it afterwards and would not be contactable for days. Nowadays my wife doesn't let me do such things as that. She has this idea that "real life" is more important than TV. Women, huh!)

But I think my vote goes to Star Wars!

Edited by Jamie123

I am going to tell you why I prefer Star Trek to Star Wars.

Star Trek, the Original Series, is just as much about taking a look into the past as it is about taking a look into the future.  Not only is the original Star Trek good science fiction fun, but it is also an excellent look into the culture of the 1960s, an era that has far since ended. 

So, when watching one of the Original Series episodes, not only am I watching it the way I would watch Star Wars, as an interesting and intelligent science fiction work, but also as a way of experiencing American culture of yesteryear (which is why I enjoy watching other TV shows and movies from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s - e.g., the Andy Griffith Show, I Dream of Jeannie, etc.).  So, Star Trek TOS has a special place in my heart.

The Next Generation, on the other hand, is just plain well written entertainment.

Of course, you can't go wrong with either.  Both are intelligent, well made, and most importantly, represent some of the last non-R rated entertainment you can see without resorting to the endless march of lame superhero movies that seem to be dominating cinema these days.  But I do think Star Trek has the upper hand.

By the way, Star Wars fans - I would have to argue that, while Episode I was pretty bad, II was pretty good and III was almost as good as the original trilogy!

My wife warned me that this debate would end these days in most people saying "both".  

Edited by DoctorLemon

Star Trek > Star Wars > Lord of the Rings > Harry Potter > James Bond > Battlestar Galactica > Pirates of the Caribbean > DC Comics > Marvel Comics.

Am I missing anything?

Edited by DoctorLemon

16 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Star Trek > Star Wars > Lord of the Rings > Harry Potter > James Bond > Battlestar Galactica > Pirates of the Caribbean > DC Comics > Marvel Comics.

Am I missing anything?

Babylon 5, Firefly, Dr. Who, Quantum Leap.

Just now, Carborendum said:

Babylon 5, Firefly, Dr. Who, Quantum Leap.

Ah, yes.  I would probably put Dr. Who between LOTR and Harry Potter.  

As for the other three, I don't have enough experience with these three to rank them.  I will have to check them out one of these days.

9 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Ah, yes.  I would probably put Dr. Who between LOTR and Harry Potter.  

As for the other three, I don't have enough experience with these three to rank them.  I will have to check them out one of these days.

Babylon 5 is often hailed as the premise for ST:DS9.

Firefly is renegade space cowboys in an oppressive galactic empire.  It only ran one season, but the fandom has grown each year since.

Quantum leap is more of a "near future" sci-fi where Dr.Samuel Beckett, the smartest man in history, created a time machine that causes him to "leap" into other people's bodies (so to speak) in different times, but is limited to the years in which he has lived.  He "sets right what once went wrong."

That brings up Voyagers.  No, not ST: VOY.  Voyagers was a time travelling show about a time traveler from the future who picked up a kid with a history book for a brain who went back in time to set history on the right course.  Apparently, dark forces try to change the past.  They give it a push back into the right direction.

Edited by Guest

I also forgot:

Space 1999.  Stupid premise.  But otherwise, the stories were pretty fun.

Red Dwarf:  Campy, hillarious, sometimes thought provoking comedy.  MUST SEE.

The Prisoner:  I'm not exactly sure if this qualifies as sci-fi.  But you included James Bond, so...

Edited by Guest

Just now, Carborendum said:

I also forgot:

Space 1999.  Stupid premise.  But otherwise, the stories were pretty fun.

Red Dwarf:  Campy, hillarious, sometimes thought provoking comedy.  MUST SEE.

The Prisoner:  I'm not exactly sure if this qualifies as sci-fi.  But you included James Bond, so...

I am including anything big enough that there is some sort of "mythology" developed around it.  

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic