Star Trek or Star Wars?

On 5/15/2017 at 8:07 PM, SilentOne said:

Every Star Trek series - TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise - has had multiple episodes involving time travel. I consider it a feature of the Star Trek franchise. Episodes with time travel in the original series include:

s01e19 - Tomorrow is Yesterday; s01e28 - The City on the Edge of Forever; s02e26 - Assignment: Earth; s03e23 - All Our Yesterdays

I may have missed some.

Oh, I forgot about the Animated Series. I've only seen one episode of that but a quick google search suggests it may only have had one time travel episode.

That Raumpatrouille show looks promising. And with only seven episodes, I sort of would like to watch the whole series.

Don't forget Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home where time travel takes the ship and crew to 1986 and we get this memorable little clip:

Okay. I guess I'll try to articulate my position. If I had to choose to only be able to watch one or the other, I'd have to go with Star Trek, although I do appreciate Star Wars as well.

Now for a touch of pure nerd analysis....

The question is wide open when we could be comparing simply movies to movies, or series to series, or video games and other merchandise. If simply comparing movies I have to say Star Wars got off to a much better start with "A New Hope" (episode IV) than Star Trek the Motion Picture (V'Ger, V'ger... cringe). But in sequels, I feel that Star Trek continued (possibly continues with the new franchise as well) to get better, while Star Wars seems to lack originality (how many times will they blow up a death star like base?) and yet strangely the predictability of Star Wars in somewhat endearing. I also had a harder time wrapping my head around better special effects in the Star Wars prequel trilogy and better action scenes which seemed counter-intuitive for it to be in the past but the technology seems better. I got used to it though and it doesn't bother me anymore, it's simply a challenge of making newer movies with newer graphic possibilities and expectations from audiences that take place chronologically earlier in the story line. Anyway, I loved the ST TNG movies largely because I loved the series and characters, although admittedly the movies as stand alone offerings would likely not have been nearly as enjoyable.

When it comes to series I am sure I don't even know all of the ones that are out there. For Star Wars I remember watching Droids and Ewoks as a kid and found them alright. I've since also watched some of the Clone Wars animates series. I've never even seen any of Star Trek's animated series, it doesn't appeal to me, so if we were comparing animated offerings I'd have to give Star Wars the win by a long shot. As far as live action series are concerned, I've watched all of the live-action Star Trek series and enjoyed them all quite a bit. There is no question in my mind that The Next Generation is the best cast and crew and the others (DS9, Voyager, Enterprise) are a weak shadow in comparison, while Kirk and the gang are just a different thing all together and enjoyable in a different way, for me Picard will always be THE captain of the Enterprise.... I digress I'm supposed to be comparing ST to SW not ST to ST. I'm not aware of any live action Star Wars series to compare to and therefore ST gets the win.

When it comes to toys, I have to admit that I think the Star wars ships look cooler to play with as a little boy and inspire more fun battling than the Star Trek ships which don't have visible guns and so on and require a more mature understanding of the technology within. So for playability I'd give this one to Star Wars. While I'd be happy with bed sheets, a lunch box or a computer wallpaper from either option. 

Video games: While I can't even begin to imagine all of the video games these two sci-fi giants have to offer, I can say that based on one video game apiece that I've played the Star Wars one was more fun from a little boy perspective while the Star Trek one would've likely been more enjoyable as an adult. The SW one let me jump in a ship flying around blowing stuff up whereas the ST one had me role playing Kirk, bones and Spock on away trips discovering things which was too slow paced and boring for my ten year old mind at the time. 

This brings me to my main conclusion - I think Star Wars had more to offer me as a child and continues to target a younger audience, while Star Trek appeals to me more as an adult and doesn't seem to be as fun from a kid perspective having plenty of social issues for discourse and political interest to follow that were lost on me as a child.

3 hours ago, Armin said:

For me it's Captain James T. Kirk who will always be THE captain. Maybe it's a question of our age and the generation we belong to...? By the way, your analysis is anything but nerd, and I agree to many points (except -of course- your Captain Picard preference).

Well Kirk is the original and paved the way for the rest to follow. I just find the original series to be a bit too cheesy and too campy. It's hard to take any of it seriously, and maybe it's not meant to be. I love the fact that the series was successful enough to allow for follow up series and movies, and I do enjoy the show for what it is. I also can't help but feel however, that it's a three man show with Kirk, Spock and Bones being the only characters that get much development while the rest of the crew is very one-dimensional.

I felt like this was improved on a bit in the next generation as well as starfleet becoming a more reputable/professional organisation while it seemed like Kirk was in the wild west and making his own rules (not to mention getting romantically involved with every female alien across the universe). Anyway, I think there was something magic about the original series and the next generation that voyager, ds9 and enterprise failed to capture.

Edited by SpiritDragon

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

@Armin, @SpiritDragon.  Capt. Kirk is my favorite because of Chris Pine!

He's slowly growing on me as Kirk, but I admittedly like Bill Shatner in the role better. Obviously, newer actors needed to take over for the new franchise. I also find the new Spock to be quite likable, but he is no Leonard Nimoy.

15 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

He's slowly growing on me as Kirk, but I admittedly like Bill Shatner in the role better. Obviously, newer actors needed to take over for the new franchise. I also find the new Spock to be quite likable, but he is no Leonard Nimoy.

Okay, okay... I'm going to qualify my first statement.  I like Kirk because of Chris Pine but that's only true because Zachary Quinto is Spock.  It's that witty verbal chemistry between the two that I really like (they're both good at pedantic verbal sparring off-screen too).  So yeah, that also has a lot to do with the director... what's his name... who carried over that wittiness into Star Wars.

Nimoy will always be special but I roll my eyes and groan when he appears in new movies.  Old Spock talking to new Spock is just as cringy as Kirk getting brought back to life by Khan's blood and Spock screaming "Khaaaaan"!  Okay okay... Cumberbatch is an awesome Khan, Quinto is an awesome spock, and Pine is an awesome Kirk so I put the blame squarely on whoever wrote Into Darkness - has to be a Millennial, zero patience with the story, kills someone and brings them back to life in 2 minutes instead of 2 years like them video games.

4 hours ago, Armin said:

Things are changing, but they don't always become better. Nevertheless, the story required a younger character of Mr. Spock, and it seems an actor can be more easier transformed into a Volcanian than into a younger character of himself. In the 2009 film Star Trek, in an alternate timeline, Zachary Quinto depicted a younger version of Spock's character, and both reprised their roles in the 2013 sequel Star Trek Into Darkness. Maybe in the future, in case of some new franchise odds, there will an older character of Mr. Spock be required, and that surely would be the great comeback of Mr. Nimoy. ;)

A Nimoy comeback would really be something considering he passed away.

• pam unfeatured this topic