Child abduction prank/setup

MrShorty

This video (without the preliminary parts showing the "setup" between Salads and mom) has been making the rounds on Facebook:

I will admit upfront that, as a Dad who has been scolded by others for not watching my kids as closely as they thought I should, this setup puts me a bit on the defensive, so maybe I cannot get the real message of the video. What are your reactions? Is this an accurate look at child abduction? How much direct attention should parents give their children? If it is this easy, should parents even take their children to the park? What else strikes you about this experiment?

Heh - when our kids were old enough to walk, I tried this all the time with my wife.  Meeting them at the store?  I'd sneak up and grab a random daughter and see how far I'd get.  The kids thought it was a blast.  I never, ever, ever, ever got far.  Most of the time she'd see movement and catch me.  The rest of the time, she'd notice a kid was gone in under 10 seconds.   The kids thought that was a blast too.  

Wife tried it a few times with me, but I was pretty good at it too.  Not as good as her, but still pretty good.

(Of course, I never got some dude and a camera involved in order to shame my spouse.  That's just foul.)

Hmmm... Texas... Texas... sounds familiar...

Oh yeah - that's where there was a planned and coordinated terrorist attack against Pam Geller, and by the time SWAT got there, the single armed cop there had already shot everyone that needed shooting.  

And nobody tried to grab anyone's kid. 

On 5/10/2017 at 8:58 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Of course, I never got some dude and a camera involved in order to shame my spouse.  That's just foul.

I hated that aspect of it, too.

This week, I came across a second of his videos. In this one, he approaches some kids playing in their own front yard in a yellow "Bumblebee" Camaro and invites them to get in and go for a ride with him (while the parents are watching from a window in the house). The kids jump at the chance to ride in a fancy Camaro. Again, a warning of how easily and quickly he was able to entice these kids to go with him.

I think the thing that really bothers me about these videos is that they feel like "fearmongering" to me. "If you take your eyes of your child at the park for 10 seconds, your child might disappear." or "If you let your kids play outside and are not watching them constantly, they might get picked up by some random stranger." I know that "stranger danger" is a real thing, and any kidnapping is a tragedy, The main message I get out of propaganda like this is "you cannot possibly be attentive enough in these "public" settings to absolutely 100% for certain prevent your children from being kidnapped so keep them home in the house where they will be safe."

Another reason to start them in effective, self defense oriented martial arts as early as any school will take them.  If you think a 6 year old can't at least delay a 200lb man in an abduction, I'll get some photos of the bruises next time I tell one to "go ahead and fight like it's real."  And that's with me expecting effective resistance and wearing pads.  A real attacker is looking for targets that won't resist effectively.  Once you know how to get a limb free and have the will to use it wherever it can get to, it doesn't take a lot of strength to hurt someone.  A good class will also go over situational awareness and not looking like a good target to start with.

1 hour ago, NightSG said:

Another reason to start them in effective, self defense oriented martial arts as early as any school will take them.  If you think a 6 year old can't at least delay a 200lb man in an abduction, I'll get some photos of the bruises next time I tell one to "go ahead and fight like it's real."  And that's with me expecting effective resistance and wearing pads.  A real attacker is looking for targets that won't resist effectively.  Once you know how to get a limb free and have the will to use it wherever it can get to, it doesn't take a lot of strength to hurt someone.  A good class will also go over situational awareness and not looking like a good target to start with.

This sounds like victim blaming. Shouldn't the real message be "don't kidnap children"?

8 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

This sounds like victim blaming. Shouldn't the real message be "don't kidnap children"?

Sure, that works so well with "don't do drugs," "don't steal," "don't kill," and hundreds of other messages.

Telling someone to lock their doors at night is hardly victim blaming.  Nor is advising them to take reasonable steps to mitigate a bad situation that does happen, regardless of whether our moral code says it shouldn't.

37 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Sure, that works so well with "don't do drugs," "don't steal," "don't kill," and hundreds of other messages.

Telling someone to lock their doors at night is hardly victim blaming.  Nor is advising them to take reasonable steps to mitigate a bad situation that does happen, regardless of whether our moral code says it shouldn't.

Try telling that to the feminists.  Men are pigs you know.  ;)

Edited by anatess2

Well, there are some people like my Dad and my Sister who live their lives scared of every possibility that they end up not doing anything.  These videos would be crippling.

And there are some people like me who live our lives preparing and weighing risks for every possibility.  Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose.  But we do a lot of things.  These videos would be either - meh, thought of that already - or, - hmm, I didn't think of that.  I need to teach my kids to always check with dad...

And there are people in between who are scared of some things - like airplanes - but not scared of other things - like cliff diving...

Humans are like fudge... sweet with lots of nuts.

Edited by anatess2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 0:21 PM, Backroads said:

Anyone ever look up "micromort" statistics? Kind of fun and really puts stuff in perspective.

I have now! What an interesting measure... now we just need to invent something having to do with the likelihood of some mormonhub.com (I still think lds.net) forum parameter that we can measure as microvorts :)

Edited by SpiritDragon

I prefer the idea of teaching about "tricky people" over stranger danger because stranger danger can cause a lot of undue worrying about everyone a child doesn't know while also leaving them vulnerable to people who have worked into the circle of non-strangers. Children are more likely to be harmed by someone they do know than someone they don't. The tricky people concept helps kids to know that adults who talk to kids without talking to their parents aren't trustworthy, especially if they are asking kids for help. Adults who need help will ask other adults and should not put kids in this position. 

I suggest anyone interested in learning more about some simple rules visit this site:

http://safelyeverafter.com/tenrules.html