Stopped going to church

22 minutes ago, Vort said:

When considering the topic of excommunication, what do you think is the difference between someone being released from his covenants and someone not being so released?

Which part of :popcorn: did you fail to understand? :animatedlol:

It's hard to answer a question when it's based off of assumptions that I do not hold. I do not believe one can be released from saving covenants once made. I don't think covenants are relevant to excommunication at all. So I don't know how to answer this question.

34 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I think I'm changing my current status in this thread to:popcorn:.

I'm looking for a supportive statement to the idea that we are released from our covenants when excommunicated. I don't consider the idea that we have to be re-baptized logically supportive of the idea.

Are you saying that the baptism of a convert is a different ordinance than the baptism of an excommunicated person?

5 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Hmm. Guess I misunderstood you.

Not that that is out of the way...

I'm saying that most of the argument going on in this thread is really over trivial differences.  You can call it semantics.  I call it practical vs theoretical.  You can simply call it miscommunication.  But my re-stating what I'm hearing from all sides (and it seems there are four people with 15 opinions) isn't going to help.  I just think the difference of opinion here is much ado about nothing. i.e 0.5 out of 10,000.

Guest MormonGator
On 5/12/2017 at 3:12 AM, Titan-ium17 said:

I don't even know if anyone reading this has a clue to what I'm talking about,

I know what you are talking about my friend. It's very hard to remain active in the LDS religion, in particular if you don't really fit in with the ward and if you have no one you can share your thoughts with. Or if you have a calling you don't really jive with. The last thing you want to hear is people saying "I know the church is true and that's all the matters." or "Shut up and keep going. Do nothing! Suffer! :: evil laugh :: "  Well that's all nice, but it doesn't help my situation now, does it? 

I'm not sure you are better off taking your name off the list or getting excommunicated. If you feel like you need a break, just go inactive for a bit. You don't have to tell the church or anyone else. Go in the background. If you want to help out with this or that service project-go for it. If you don't, then don't. Same with going out with the missionaries. Do it or not. Go at your own pace. 

When you are ready I'm sure you'll be welcomed back with open arms. LDS are many things, and they are certainly forgiving. 

Edited by MormonGator

13 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Source?

I keep hearing this, but I believe it is members making stuff up. I do not believe it.

I think it's a conclusion drawn from rebaptizing people who have been excommunicated. If excommunication did not release you from baptismal covenants, there would be no need for rebaptism.

• 1 month later...

I am so sorry to hear about those experiences!  They definitely should have been handled in a more sensitive way.  You'd think people could offer more advice then just pray about it, but  even well meaning people or not, they aren't perfect.  I sometimes wonder why there seems to not be more thought given to circumstances like yours.  Of course, prayer is a wonderful thing.  There are some wards and bishops that are more compassionate then others and maybe can offer better advice.  I'm so sorry.  I hope you can hang in there, and maybe try again sometime later, maybe find out a ward that may be better for you & your daughter.  God bless & good luck, I'm glad you have accepting people in your life.  The Gospel is true, and the way back to our Father, but in the mean time, we have to deal with imperfection.  I wish you & your family the best.