Unpleasant Behavior at work

Sunday21

You see a coworker being subjected to unpleasant behavior by a colleague or a boss....  

15 members have voted

1. 1. You feel:

• Relieved that it is not you
    • Angry with the person who is treating the coworker unpleasantly
    • Angry with the person who is treated unpleasantly. it is probably their fault
  2. 2. What do you do?

• Avoid the person who was treated unpleasantly
    • Listen sympathetically to the person who was treated unpleasantly
    • Try not to think about it
  3. 3. What should people do when they see colleagues being treated unpleasantly at work by colleagues or bosses?

• Ignore the situation. The person being treated unpleasantly probably deserves it
    • Be sympathetic to the person who was treated mispleasantly
    • Inform someone who can help, eg HR
    • Intervene.
    • Do nothing. It is difficult to know what the right thing to do is.

@seashmore! Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help! I hope that I can find 40 people like you to interview. Is there any situation in which you would not help? Eg if the person being bullied (victim), deserved the abuse? Eg, the victim was lazy, did not obey rules, was nasty to others....? Thanks so much!

On 6/15/2017 at 8:20 PM, Sunday21 said:

@seashmore! Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help! I hope that I can find 40 people like you to interview. Is there any situation in which you would not help? Eg if the person being bullied (victim), deserved the abuse? Eg, the victim was lazy, did not obey rules, was nasty to others....? Thanks so much!

There have been situations where I did not stand up to bullying in the workplace because I was fearful of retaliation. The bully was a manager essentially making fun of a shift supervisior for not knowing something like how many ounces are in a pound. In the moment, I rationalized my inaction with "they're talking about kitchen area stuff, and I only deal with front register stuff" and also the underlying belief that "if I tell the manager to stop picking on her, he will pick on me instead, and she will feel embarrassed/possibly get made fun of later for not being able to fight her own battles."

I have, however, got the male chauvinist in our office to stop telling customers "I treat them (front desk ladies) with all the respect due their age and gender." He was "joking" with an acquaintance of his that he had to "put up" with us 40 hours a week, so I turned his words back around and said to the woman he was talking to, "We treat him with all the respect due his age and gender." 

I bet if you hit up pages geared towards employees in the food/retail service industry, you'd find 40 people willing to talk.

@seashmore. Thanks so much for the tip! This is a great idea! 

I have a couple of instances in which I did not stand up to someone who bullied a colleague. I was a student sharing an office. In phd programs, you have a professor who is your advisor. The advisor often treats their student like a slave. I would listen to the advisor yelling at their student. Now I know what to do in this situation. I should have taped the advisor yelling and played it to graduate studies. At the time, I had no idea. 

Not Always Right has a facebook page. It's where retail employees go to bemoan the less than stellar customers. You could maybe contact their admin and see if they would let you post a survey with some basic questions, including one where they have the option of allowing you to contact them.

• pam unfeatured this topic