The horror of encroaching public miseducation

Vort

Front page of this morning's Seattle Times (not worth lining your birdcage with, which is why I will not be renewing my subscription to that awful rag):

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/washingtons-schools-chief-pitches-vision-of-very-different-school-system/

His "vision" is that

• Three-year-old babies be taken from their parents to be "educated" by the state
  • Other children be kept by the state a full hour longer each day for a full month longer each year, because the children are apparently spending too much time with the unfavorable influence of those meddling ne'er-do-well parents.
  • After all this extra interference by the state, there will be no accountability, because the child will no longer pass any sort of test to be able to graduate from "high school".

This is purely Satanic. Our grandparents would have laughed at the mere suggestion that such a thing happen, and our parents would never have allowed it. What is the matter with this generation? Are we really this selfish and evil, or are we simply too stupid to see what's happening?

I do hate the Seattle Times, though this is a case where the messenger shouldn't be shot for the bad news he bears. (Rather, the messenger should be shot because he's awful in his own right. Make no mistake: The Times lauds this guy and his noble cause.)

Guest LiterateParakeet

I was going to make a joke along the lines that if hate The Seattle Times, I would probably like it BUT I have to agree with you here. 

I can't disagree with anything you said, darn how boring. :)

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I was going to make a joke along the lines that if hate The Seattle Times, I would probably like it BUT I have to agree with you here. 

I can't disagree with anything you said, darn how boring. :)

:: snickers ::

@LiterateParakeet, @Godless and I just renewed our subscriptions and we all said "In honor of our good friend @Vort!" (Oh yeah, we also renewed our ACLU membership for the same reason.) 

(Playing, playing!)

Edited by MormonGator

36 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

:: snickers ::

@LiterateParakeet, @Godless and I just renewed our subscriptions and we all said "In honor of our good friend @Vort!" (Oh yeah, we also renewed our ACLU membership for the same reason.) 

(Playing, playing!)

I'm surprised you didn't sign up for Greenpeace Magazine.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

His "vision" is that

• Three-year-old babies be taken from their parents to be "educated" by the state
  • Other children be kept by the state a full hour longer each day for a full month longer each year, because the children are apparently spending too much time with the unfavorable influence of those meddling ne'er-do-well parents.
  • After all this extra interference by the state, there will be no accountability, because the child will no longer pass any sort of test to be able to graduate from "high school".

And he wants to spend an additional $3500/student per year to achieve these goals.

(the plan) would reshape public education over the next six years to compete with school systems in countries like Germany, South Korea and Switzerland.

Aren't we already spending more than any other nation? EAG2014-Indicator B1 (eng).pdf

And we're already spending more time in our schools than most nations

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/02/school-days-how-the-u-s-compares-with-other-countries/

So, we'll become more like those countries who spend less per student by spending more per student.  And we'll spend more time in class to be like those nations who spend less time in class.  :animatedthumbsup:

Edited by Guest

This is literally right out o W. Cleon Shousen's book, "The Naked Communist.". In it he lists 45 goals of the Communist party.  One of the goals is for the State to take children away from the corrupting influence of their parents.  A couple of the goals no longer apply, but the communist have achieved or have almost achieved all of their goals.

I don't know how South Korea does it's schools, but I know how Germany does.  There is a distinct difference between German schools and US schools.

In Germany, eventually children are divided into three groups.  The easiest way to describe it are those who are going to be College Bound (they receive the harder and better education), those who are not (they receive a normal education and normally end up doing technical jobs like a mechanic), and those who are basically helpless (these may be the extremely handicapped that cannot function) where the main goal is to ensure they can actually feed themselves, find shelter, and clean their living area.

In these international tests, I believe ONLY THOSE IN THE FIRST group, those who are college bound, are the ones who are tested and who we see the results.

You counter that by showing that EVERYONE in the US is tested.

We are comparing the entire student population in the US against the best in Germany, and that probably applies to other nations as well.

This is where I believe much of the disconnect comes from when they compare students from the US with some of the other nations.

Gotta tell you, as much as I enjoy the German language and think highly of many aspects of German society, I consider Germany to be a backward, even Satanic, country, in at least this aspect: They believe the state owns the children, and parents are explicitly disallowed from homeschooling their children. You must send your child to the collective for proper indoctrination, or you WILL be put in jail and your children taken from you.

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Vort said:

Gotta tell you, as much as I enjoy the German language and think highly of many aspects of German society, I consider Germany to be a backward, even Satanic, country, in at least this aspect: They believe the state owns the children, and parents are explicitly disallowed from homeschooling their children. You must send your child to the collective for proper indoctrination, or you WILL be put in jail and your children taken from you.

Dang, Vort.  You and I have to stop agreeing, it's freaking me out.  

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I'm surprised you didn't sign up for Greenpeace Magazine.

Oh, thanks, we'll add that to the list!  

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Do you remember the case of the Romeike Family?  Obama's America was about to send them back to Germany while allowing Muslim refugees in.  The irony is that it was halted at the last minute by the liberals own bad medicine.

The Romeikes had an anchor baby while they were going through the court system.  So, they got to stay anyway.

41 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Do you remember the case of the Romeike Family?  Obama's America was about to send them back to Germany while allowing Muslim refugees in.  The irony is that it was halted at the last minute by the liberals own bad medicine.

The Romeikes had an anchor baby while they were going through the court system.  So, they got to stay anyway.

I remember it well. I thought it one of the great failures (and there were many) of the Obama administration. Here was a chance for Obama to stand manfully for the right, to tell Germany that when they abused the rights of their own citizens, the US would help the oppressed -- and if they didn't like it, they could pound sand. Instead, he weakly bowed to political pressure. Disgusting.

The sad thing is that in Seattle, like everywhere else in America... a lot of parents are happy to let somebody else take care of their children.

Summer vacation is coming on and parents all around me are panicking... Oh no!  We have to take care of our children again!  I find it disgusting.

I get lots of questions - where do you send your kids for camp?  Uhm, I don't.  They roam the neighborhood with their bikes, go fishing in the backyard, catch frogs and lizards, shoot their BBs at cans, play hoops in the neighborhood court, climb trees.......  WHAT?  You let your kids roam the neighborhood on their own?  Uhm.  Yes.  I taught them how to survive the great outdoors.  Why, didn't your kids' camp teach them that?

Edited by anatess2

We have a South Korean foreign exchange student this year in our home and his number one reason for coming? To get a "vacation" from his relentless education at home in South Korea. He says all the time how easy our system is and behind it is. It truly us a vacation to him.

Im afraid that our public education system is in great disrepair. Kudos to those trying to think outside the box to make things better. And no, its not satanic.

i have slept for two days since school got out.

Perhaps I don't represent the ideal liberal teacher, but please, on behalf of the non-ideal liberal teachers, do not make us teach more hours and more months.

3 year olds do not need to be in all-day school. Any preschool program should mainly be fun.

13 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

We have a South Korean foreign exchange student this year in our home and his number one reason for coming? To get a "vacation" from his relentless education at home in South Korea. He says all the time how easy our system is and behind it is. It truly us a vacation to him.

Im afraid that our public education system is in great disrepair. Kudos to those trying to think outside the box to make things better. And no, its not satanic.

I hate these kinds of comparisons because SOUTH KOREA AND AMERICA HAVE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CULTURES.

Yes, there are more school hours per day in South Korea than the US.  But no, Asian parents don't send their kids to school for 8 hours of the day so they can get them out of their hairs even if all they're learning is gender identity and social justice.  No, they go to school for 8 hours to learn to build a bike, learn music (related to math), learn a martial art, get military training, have 3 math classes, a couple of science classes, a couple of language classes etc. etc.  So yes, American schools is a vacation compared to the rigors of Asian education.  But no, it's not because South Korea have more school days.  It's because they have higher quality curriculum.

And yes, in South Korea, a lot of high school kids are in school for 16 hours a day!  But no, it's not because their parents just drop them off for state-run babysitting.  These parents are very involved with their kids' education so that when the regular class is over they send them to more schooling to learn a trade.  For example, KPop school is very popular there, where a teen-ager is groomed to be a Kpop star or work in the Kpop business.  Very competitive school with difficult entry requirements.  Anyway, these kids graduate from high school with a leg-up on the competition for college placement plus a money-making skill so they can pay for it.

In the US, more public schooling is more stupid schooling.  And yes, I much more agree with @Vort's sentiment of it being satanic than your lackluster attempt at Asian comparison.  If Seattle public school had the same quality education as South Korean school, I wouldn't have a problem with a longer school year.

Edited by anatess2

23 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I hate these kinds of comparisons because SOUTH KOREA AND AMERICA HAVE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CULTURES.

Yes, there are more school hours per day in South Korea than the US.  But no, Asian parents don't send their kids to school for 8 hours of the day so they can get them out of their hairs even if all they're learning is gender identity and social justice.  No, they go to school for 8 hours to learn to build a bike, learn music (related to math), learn a martial art, get military training, have 3 math classes, a couple of science classes, a couple of language classes etc. etc.  So yes, American schools is a vacation compared to the rigors of Asian education.  But no, it's not because South Korea have more school days.  It's because they have higher quality curriculum.

And yes, in South Korea, a lot of high school kids are in school for 16 hours a day!  But no, it's not because their parents just drop them off for state-run babysitting.  These parents are very involved with their kids' education so that when the regular class is over they send them to more schooling to learn a trade.  For example, KPop school is very popular there, where a teen-ager is groomed to be a Kpop star or work in the Kpop business.  Very competitive school with difficult entry requirements.  Anyway, these kids graduate from high school with a leg-up on the competition for college placement plus a money-making skill so they can pay for it.

In the US, more public schooling is more stupid schooling.  And yes, I much more agree with @Vort's sentiment of it being satanic than your lackluster attempt at Asian comparison.  If Seattle public school had the same quality education as South Korean school, I wouldn't have a problem with a longer school year.

Well, continue to have your hippie pot smoking mentality up there. Whatever.

2 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

Well, continue to have your hippie pot smoking mentality up there. Whatever.

You think longer school days are gonna fix hippie pot smokers?  That is silly.  Hippie pot smoking is a product of the public school education.  You'll have more hippie pot smokers when you get more Seattle public education.  Chew on that.

Edited by anatess2

14 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

You think longer school days are gonna fix hippie pot smokers?  That is silly.  Hippie pot smoking is a product of the public school education.  You'll have more hippie pot smokers when you get more Seattle public education.  Chew on that.

Are you suggesting that the schools are selling pot to the students? 

Hippie pot smokers are a byproduct of lazy adults, lawmakers and other low lifes that dont give jack crap about children and schooling.

18 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

Kudos to those trying to think outside the box to make things better. And no, its not satanic.

How the heck is increasing the school day thinking outside the box in any form? It's a rather obvious answer requiring little thought. "Hey, let's make more school so we don't actually have to worry about fixing school!"

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic