What It’s Like to Spend a Weekend With a Mormon Apostle

Seeing a Mormon apostle in real life is not an experience one easily forgets. Spending a weekend with one is downright mind blowing. That’s what I was asked to do earlier this year. I had been interning as a lowly BYU student with the Church’s Public Affairs Department in the Pacific Area, based in Auckland, New Zealand. An apostle (along with a few other General Authorities) was scheduled to make a trip to Tonga, and I was asked to be part of his entourage to cover the trip for Mormon Newsroom Pacific. Latter-day Saint temple in Nuku'alofa, Tonga. What an opportunity, right? Needless to say, I was excited. We’ve all read about prophets of God in the scriptures—we’ve heard them speak at General Conference, but I was going to have the opportunity to get a little peek at the behind-the-scenes action. The day-to-day stuff. I was going to see what happens after the meetings. I got a special glimpse at the life of an apostle, and I want to share some of...

View the full article