Celestial Kingdom and Exaltation

Fether

When do we achieve Exaltation? Is it right after we enter the celestial kingdom or is it after we learn all things after entering the celestial kingdom? Scriptural references would be nice :)

Also, with this Q, please explain d+c 130:19 "19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come."

3 hours ago, Fether said:

When do we achieve Exaltation? Is it right after we enter the celestial kingdom or is it after we learn all things after entering the celestial kingdom? Scriptural references would be nice :)

Also, with this Q, please explain d+c 130:19 "19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come."

Doing a word search in D&C: http://classic.scriptures.lds.org/en/search?type=words&last=exaltation&help=&wo=checked&search=exaltation&iw=dc&tx=checked&af=checked&hw=checked&sw=checked&bw=1&anonymous_element_1_changed=

Not much is mentioned on the specific timing, but D&C 132:22 indicates that exaltation can be sealed upon us before it is realized in the resurrection (verse 26). Obviously we keep gaining intelligence and knowledge and the attendant advantages throughout the remainder of this life.

130:19 indicates that the world to come includes the resurrection. If the sealing is a type of the realization, then we can expect to keep gaining intelligence and knowledge and the attendant advantages even in the resurrection, and I would go so far as to say even when we are exalted (in the sense of continuation of the seed per 132:19, 30).

132: 29 indicates that Abraham has already received exaltation, which must have occurred within the last 2,000 years, because the first resurrection (from verse 19) began only after the Lord’s.

1 hour ago, CV75 said:

Doing a word search in D&C: http://classic.scriptures.lds.org/en/search?type=words&last=exaltation&help=&wo=checked&search=exaltation&iw=dc&tx=checked&af=checked&hw=checked&sw=checked&bw=1&anonymous_element_1_changed=

Not much is mentioned on the specific timing, but D&C 132:22 indicates that exaltation can be sealed upon us before it is realized in the resurrection (verse 26). Obviously we keep gaining intelligence and knowledge and the attendant advantages throughout the remainder of this life.

130:19 indicates that the world to come includes the resurrection. If the sealing is a type of the realization, then we can expect to keep gaining intelligence and knowledge and the attendant advantages even in the resurrection, and I would go so far as to say even when we are exalted (in the sense of continuation of the seed per 132:19, 30).

132: 29 indicates that Abraham has already received exaltation, which must have occurred within the last 2,000 years, because the first resurrection (from verse 19) began only after the Lord’s.

I seem to remember a quote or scripture about how after we are resurrected, we will have a lot to learn before Exaltation comes. That we will be in the celestial kingdom continueing to learn until we essentially know everything... not positive in that though, I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I to correct me on the thought.

14 hours ago, Fether said:

I seem to remember a quote or scripture about how after we are resurrected, we will have a lot to learn before Exaltation comes. That we will be in the celestial kingdom continueing to learn until we essentially know everything... not positive in that though, I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I to correct me on the thought.

I think that is the way it will go, but the teaching comes from Joseph Smith sermons and GC talks. For example:

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 268). https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-47-exaltation?lang=eng

12 minutes ago, CV75 said:

I think that is the way it will go, but the teaching comes from Joseph Smith sermons and GC talks. For example:

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “When you climb up a ladder, you must begin at the bottom, and ascend step by step, until you arrive at the top; and so it is with the principles of the gospel—you must begin with the first, and go on until you learn all the principles of exaltation. But it will be a great while after you have passed through the veil [died] before you will have learned them. It is not all to be comprehended in this world; it will be a great work to learn our salvation and exaltation even beyond the grave” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 268). https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-47-exaltation?lang=eng

That is the quote I was looking for! Thanks :)

20 hours ago, Fether said:

I believe that we do not enter the Celestial Kingdom but that we start one (look up scripture references for the “everlasting covenant”.  We do so with the divine covenant of marriage between a man and a woman – and that like planting a seed what is started can and will grow and evolved when nurture and care continues.  That as we learn to become parents in this live we will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

The Traveler

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, Traveler said:

I believe that we do not enter the Celestial Kingdom but that we start one (look up scripture references for the “everlasting covenant”.  We do so with the divine covenant of marriage between a man and a woman – and that like planting a seed what is started can and will grow and evolved when nurture and care continues.  That as we learn to become parents in this live we will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

The Traveler

If I understand you right, it corresponds somewhat with what I understand, and I like how you put it.

Our exaltation, and our glory, is beyond those of other glories because we can have increase.  It is from our increase, or progeny, that our kingdom and or glory is increased.  As our own glory is increased, it by default, also increases the glory of our Father.

I think it's not just being parents though, but being parents that live the gospel, and that by learning how to be parents in the gospel, it will enable us in understanding and ability to be the type of exalted parent to our children that our Father is to us in the hereafter.

I do not know the exact timing (as the OP requested) to when it occurs, I would hope it happens sooner than later, but in all honesty, I have no idea.  I would agree it probably has a start though, when we enter the everlasting covenant.