Tips On Marking Scriptures

GayLDS

I read the Book of Mormon all the way through at least 1 each year sometimes I do the quad. In a year and each year I choose a different color. I marker out a little square in the front of my scriptures then place the year next to it. I find it amazing how one year certain sections really stood out for me when the next year there are a whole new group of scriptures and some similar ones. It helps me reflect on what different things I was struggling with and how God was helping me.

As a missionary, I would mark the scriptures so that if I gave my scriptures to an investigator to read, the exact information they needed to gather from the scriptures was highlighted, so that it would pop out as soon as they (inevitably) glanced back after the verse.  Two Examples:

Ephesians 2:20
"And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;"

Question:  What was the foundation upon which the church was built?

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Question:  What are the three things the scripture tells us that the Holy Ghost will do?

These are the actual colors I use as well (although unimportant):  Orange for anything related to organization, blue for anything related to the spirit and personal revelation, etc, etc, etc.

I have found it beneficial to continue marking my scriptures in this way so that I may look at a verse, re-read it and gain from it each the initial message intended through the restored Gospel, in addition to other ways in which it may speak to me.  I also have other scripture marking methods, but this one is truly dear to me, and highly effective!

Homework: :D  Try this method going through every verse in the Plan of Salvation section of Preach My Gospel!  This method makes you really ponder a great deal about which words you should highlight because you are thinking about the questions you would ask as well as what words/phrases would pop out to easily answer it.  I was highly uplifted, and was blessed to ponder each of the verses at length gaining way more from them than just what was enough to achieve the initial goal for the investigators.