Gratitude

I once went to a wealth building seminar where they told us that even if we see a random penny on the ground, we should pick it up, raise it up and say to God,"I'm rich, I'm rich, I'm rich!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

This morning I was getting out of my car at work and found a penny right outside the car door.  Bemused at the memory of the seminar advice, I picked it up and said."I'm rich."  And I got no further.

FLASHBACK:  The other day I saw the usual pan-handlers on the way from work to home.  I noticed that even this beggar had clean skin and looked like he'd eaten something everyday.  What a wondrous land of milk and honey we live in where even the beggars here fare better than many average folks in truly poverty stricken countries.

TODAY: I truly am rich, I thought.  I have clean decent clothing.  I have a dependable car to get me to and from work.  I have a home that protects me from the elements -- no matter how much I complain about its run-down condition.  I have a full belly every day.  I have a family who loves me.  I took the time to consider each and every person living under my roof.  I am truly thankful for each and every one of them.

And then I gave thanks that I have been given the blessing of knowing that I have a Savior who allows me to follow Him on the path back to our Heavenly Father.

I honestly can't think of a more profound moment of thanks in all my life -- all due to finding a random penny on the ground.  By small and simple things...

Guest MormonGator

My favorite lesson on gratitude comes from the amazing Humans of New York Facebook page. It showed a man about @Carborendums age (over 80, easily) The caption said, 

"I used to complain. Than I read a book on the holocaust. I've never complained since." 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

My favorite lesson on gratitude comes from the amazing Humans of New York Facebook page. It showed a man about @Carborendums age (over 80, easily) The caption said, 

"I used to complain. Than I read a book on the holocaust. I've never complained since." 

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.  While in the concentration camp, Corrie's sister led everyone on a prayer thanking God for the fleas that is infesting their room.