Word of Wisdom Fail in Elders Quorum

So anyways today for my lesson in Elders Quorum I decided I would bring my class a treat from my mission - Belgian Stroopwaffels.  I passed them out in their original containers and everyone got one.  About halfway up the class, a class member noticed the small print on the bottom of the package - "MADE WITH BOURBON VANILLA".  

Fail...

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
37 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

So anyways today for my lesson in Elders Quorum I decided I would bring my class a treat from my mission - Belgian Stroopwaffels.  I passed them out in their original containers and everyone got one.  About halfway up the class, a class member noticed the small print on the bottom of the package - "MADE WITH BOURBON VANILLA".  

Fail...

That's worse than the time @Carborendum spiked the punch at the ward Halloween party. 

1 hour ago, DoctorLemon said:

Fail...

And did the EQP do his proper duty and take a sample to send for analysis to see just how much of the alcohol survived the baking process?  You know, so they know how serious your sin was?

54 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

That's worse than the time @Carborendum spiked the punch at the ward Halloween party. 

If you knew what carb had really spiked the punch with, you would realise that the bourbon vanilla Stroopwaffels incident just pales in comparison.

On my mission I was given raspberry iced tea to drink by someone when tracting.  I drank it, completely oblivious, and so did my companion.  :eek:  The whole time I was wondering why it tasted a bit weird.  Then upon leaving I finally realized what it was because I have had iced tea a couple of times since my grandmother used to drink it.  I told my companion that I'm pretty sure we had just drunken tea.  We both shrugged it off because we could not reasonably have known.  I'm pretty sure situations like this generally fall under the Corinthians 10:27 rule, and I just keep on going with a clear conscience.

Is bourbon vanilla actually a problem?

I would have problems if the stroopwaffels were made with plain bourbon.  But I do use cooking vanilla all the time, if that is indeed what "bourbon vanilla" is.  I have never thought it was a big deal, but maybe I should reconsider?  Or is it abnormal that someone would have problems with vanilla?  Do I indulge in the word of wisdom equivalent of sports illustrated: swimsuit edition?  

I am pretty sure if I were to try and get a buzz off of stroopwaffels, I would be in a diabetic coma long before reaching any type of buzz.

"Although vanilla extract is made up of at least 35% alcohol by volume, the “bourbon” in “Bourbon Vanilla” is not the name of the alcohol used to make it. Bourbon vanilla is the name for all vanilla grown in Madagascar and other islands in the Indian Ocean, including Comoros and Réunion. Réunion was formerly known as the Île Bourbon, and it is the name of that island that gave Bourbon Vanilla its name. Bourbon vanilla beans come from the orchid V. planifolia. Bourbon vanilla beans have a high vanillin content and a very strong, clear and creamy vanilla flavor that is instantly resognizable and a great addition to any recipe."

http://bakingbites.com/2012/06/what-is-bourbon-vanilla/

Guest Godless

Fun fact: bourbon vanilla does not contain bourbon. It is named after an island near Madagascar, from which vanilla is a major export. Now called Réunion Island, it used to be Bourbon Island. You can buy it in extract form (which, like all extracts, contains alcohol [but not bourbon]) or in whole bean form, which is alcohol-free.

maxresdefault.jpg

I make the best crepes I have ever tasted.  The secret?  50% more sugar than called for in the recipe, and double the vanilla.  Serve with banannas, Nutella, and granulated sugar.

Nice to know the real reason everyone likes my crepes is because they are buzzed off of the vanilla...

8 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

"MADE WITH BOURBON VANILLA".  

Let's see, one teaspoon of vanilla at 2% alcohol is just under the legal limit for a temple recommend.. even if you drank the entire teaspoon.

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I once gave a lady that I visit taught a basket of different types of candy. Apparently for one type of candy, one of the ingredients was coffee

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO............

Did you put it in hot water??

3 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Is bourbon vanilla actually a problem?

I would have problems if the stroopwaffels were made with plain bourbon.  But I do use cooking vanilla all the time, if that is indeed what "bourbon vanilla" is.  I have never thought it was a big deal, but maybe I should reconsider?  Or is it abnormal that someone would have problems with vanilla?...

I wasn't sure if you were really concerned about the vanilla or not reading through the posts. Most baking recipes call for some type of vanilla extract flavour; so if certain people do have a problem with vanilla, they probably haven't ever baked but have only eaten happily in ignorance.

M. 

8 hours ago, NightSG said:

Funny how nobody's concerned about the alcohol content of fresh bread, but a tiny trace in candy is such a huge problem.

I'm curious, about the above but if I asked about it then I would no longer be ignorant, and on the matter of the alcohol content of fresh bread, I'd prefer to remain ignorant 

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic