Word of Wisdom Fail in Elders Quorum

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

I'm curious, about the above but if I asked about it then I would no longer be ignorant, and on the matter of the alcohol content of fresh bread, I'd prefer to remain ignorant 

Up to 2.5%, according to a USDA study. 

52 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Up to 2.5%, according to a USDA study. 

"Up to".  2.5% is pretty high.  Sites say the upper limit is 1.9%.  Most bread is going to be less than 1%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1709087/pdf/canmedaj00470-0140b.pdf

https://www.nal.usda.gov/sites/default/files/fnic_uploads//Alcohol-Retention.pdf

Edited by Guest

I never thought it was a problem to eat food that has alcohol in it. Cooking wine? Fine with me. Beer beans? Gross, but I suppose eating it at a party wouldn't be a problem. (Had some accidentally at a party in Texas years ago, didn't finish the serving.)

Someone at work brought in some home made ice cream he had made that had alcohol in it. I'm fine with that, too.

The word of wisdom specifically uses the word "drink", so if I'm eating food that contains alcohol, I really don't think it's a problem, personally. Are there any good quotes from church materials to the contrary?

D&C 89:

5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

7 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

.. it doesn't say anything about strong foods. :) As someone pointed out earlier, it's hard to get a buzz off strong foods

45 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

I make my own vanilla extract using vanilla beans and bourbon. When I use it to make ice cream, I call it bourbon I've cream. It even gives a mild rye taste. Everyone who has tried it loves it.

That's about like putting "beer" in shampoo because "bier" is supposed to be good for hair.

Edited by Guest

Just now, MarginOfError said:

I'll pick up some beer for my shampoo tonight

Sure, who am I to stand in the way of someone throwing away money to make their hair smell worse?

1 minute ago, mordorbund said:

Are you a Dapper Dan man?

You know, I've never heard of him before.  I've just heard "Dapper Dan" as an expression.  But honestly, my hair smells bad enough as it is. I think I'd faint if I had the smell of beer coming from my head as well.

• pam unfeatured this topic

There may be some who don't realize that an "extract" (e.g. vanilla extract, almond extract, mint extract) is created by soaking the particular food item (e.g. vanilla bean, almond, mint leaf) in ethyl alcohol -- or more typically, something that has a very high ethyl alcohol content. Vodka is often used; whiskeys are also popular, so I'm sure that rye and bourbon are commonly used for making extracts. The extract you buy in stores usually waters down the alcohol extract to about 30-35%; if you make your own, you probably keep it in its original state, which for vodka or whiskey will probably be something above 95% alcohol content, and use only about a third of the amount called for in a recipe.

I respect anyone who avoids using extracts in an effort to keep the Word of Wisdom, but at the same time, I respectfully suggest that's not what the Word of Wisdom calls for. Alcohol in tiny quantities is a food substance that our livers are designed to break down and digest. As others have pointed out, bread contains some small amount of alcohol. Pretty much any fruit juice is going to have a trace of alcohol. If you make your own root beer the old-fashioned way, well then, yep, it'll have as much as 0.5% alcohol content. (Which, by the way, is tiny. I doubt it would even be considered an alcoholic beverage in any state. Probably perfectly legal to sell to kids.) (And the root beer will taste great, have a nice bready smell and flavor.)

I am 100% pro-Word of Wisdom. I take pleasure in knowing that I have never drunk an alcoholic beverage. I have no desire to get drunk or even curiosity about it, and I never really have. I think I should cut down on my meat-eating and caffeinated pop drinking. But I sincerely believe that the Word of Wisdom was never about completely eliminating all trace of ethanol from our diets. Such a thing would be impossible on a practical level.

8 minutes ago, Vort said:

I think I should cut down on my meat-eating and caffeinated pop drinking.

It's no sin to drink caffeinated beverages. But calling them "pop" rather than "soda" or "soda pop", is nigh unto heresy.  

You should talk to your bishop immediately.

10 hours ago, Vort said:

I think I should cut down on my meat-eating 

So I think this is interesting to think about. I can't help but wonder about the spirit vs. the letter of the law in this regard. As there is not "letter" of the law like there is with alcohol or tobacco, we're talking spirit. But what is the spirit of the law on this? Is it really even worried about "meat", or is it relative to the times we live in, abundance of what-have-you, etc., and general health related to meat?

What I mean to say is that when I decided to get healthy I followed modern fitness trends which meant a decrease of carbs and an increase of protein, which also meant more meat. I did get significantly more healthy in doing so. I have never felt like my increased consumption of meat was breaking the Word of Wisdom.

12 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It's no sin to drink caffeinated beverages. But calling them "pop" rather than "soda" or "soda pop", is nigh unto heresy.  

I've been wondering lately, when did we stop using the word "pop" favoring "soda"?  I grew up with "pop" or "soda pop" myself.

16 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I've been wondering lately, when did we stop using the word "pop" favoring "soda"?  I grew up with "pop" or "soda pop" myself.

I think it's a regional thing.  Utahns seem to prefer "pop", but I am California-raised.

18 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I think it's a regional thing.  Utahns seem to prefer "pop", but I am California-raised.

It is partially regional, partially generational.  I'm California-raised.  But my generation called it soda-pop.  It fell out of favor some time in my life.  But I was told that the East still called it "pop", while the South eschewed it.

Every once in a while I'll still slip back into it like I slip back into 60s and 70s jargon 'cause that's like groovy, man.:rainfro:

Where I grew up (upstate NY), it was just plain "soda".  "Soda pop" was considered a little odd.  "Pop" was ridiculous.  I forget how old I was when I heard that some in the SE US call everything "Coke".  Pretty sure I rolled my eyes at that.

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

Um....

I was saying that the term "pop" is an older term that faded out at some point.  If you've never used the term, then I'm guessing you were of a younger generation.

Just now, Carborendum said:

I was saying that the term "pop" is an older term that faded out at some point.  If you've never used the term, then I'm guessing you were of a younger generation.

Maybe I'm just old enough that I've forgotten about all those times I called it "pop" in my childhood. :D

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

Maybe I'm just old enough that I've forgotten about all those times I called it "pop" in my childhood. :D

Unlikely with that bear-trap of a memory you've got.;)