12 year old comes out as gay at church

Fether

If you are going to "come out", surely you can find a more appropriate time than fast and testimony meeting?  Which would frankly be just about any other time.  

1 hour ago, Ironhold said:

Word of advice: 

Take anything from the Kosby Kids (re: Daily Kos) with a massive grain of salt. They've got an agenda to push, and aren't afraid to bend things a bit to do it. 

I agree, I subscribe to multiple politically motivated groups and get their posts daily. I like to see both sides of the ideology.

11 hours ago, Fether said:

Thoughts?

My thoughts: If you're going to hijack a testimony meeting with your planned attempt at a media event, complete with prepared speech and hidden cameras, you don't get to play the victim card.  

My thoughts: Shame on this girl's mother for using her daughter as a pawn to advance her critical agenda.  They even invited the guy who sneaks in to the temple and records our temple ceremonies.  Here's what that guy had to say on Reddit:  “I offered to edit and distribute the video as well as promote the hell out of it. I’ve spent at least 40 hours in the past ten days editing and promoting the video to every media contact I’ve made (and a lot of new ones).”

My thoughts: Don't fall for a carefully crafted marketing campaign intended to make mormons look bad for picking on a poor innocent 12 yr old struggling with her identity.

Edited by NeuroTypical

19 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

If you are going to "come out", surely you can find a more appropriate time than fast and testimony meeting?  Which would frankly be just about any other time.  

Well, I think that, maybe, over the altar of the temple as you're about to become sealed to your spouse would be worse.  But you did say "just about" so...

From what I understand, I feel this was a staged event, as in, planned and staged to make a political and public message.  This is my opinion.

One parent decided to stop being associated with the LDS church a few years back when the LDS church regarding Gay Marriage and their children was announced and published.  That parent did not agree with the LDS church and felt that was the final straw.  They did not like the LDS policy regarding LGBT rights or treatment, especially in regards to the children.  The other parent stayed in the LDS church.

This daughter supposedly was going to bear a testimony of this in January.  However, supposedly, as per the parents, they felt that the daughter should not do so at that time and instead went over what the daughter was going to say.  This is supposed to be the excuse of why the daughter had it written down, as a written statement.

The F&T meeting that family brought a bunch of "Friends" to support their daughter.  These friends...interestingly enough, from what I would say, are part of the LGBT alliance, or LGBT group in support of LGBT rights.   They supposedly cheered and celebrated the event, which isn't really something that one does in an LDS church building after a meeting or anytime typically anyways.

My concerns...

1.  Knowing the one parent's views and thoughts, I am concerned whether this is really the girl's feelings, or if this was somehow coached upon the child by that parent.  It is hard to say.  Either way, it being written down isn't really a testimony in the usual sense of a F&T meeting...more like a speech or a talk, and to me...gives a sense of being staged simply for the purpose of staging it for media and public consumption to mock the LDS church.

2.  The bringing of those "Friends" which, I don't really think were close friends...per se...but more those to celebrate the event of a media type message to the church...also points to it being staged.

3.  It is not a hidden policy that the chapel is not a place to bring cameras and other such media equipment.  F&T meeting is definitely not the place for it.  That they purposefully brought such stuff, along with their friends, and were filming it, I think speaks for itself on whether this was a planned and staged event to bring mockery to the LDS church or not.

My opinion is that this was something premeditated, thought out, and then staged by the Parents in order to try to bring arguments or notoriety against the LDS church.  I'll post this in the other thread as well, since there seems to be two different threads.