Jacob Chapter 3 - June 27, 2017

pam

I just now discovered why God hasn't brought justice down upon my enemies. . . I'm not pure in heart enough :(

1 . . . I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart.

So, I suppose I can just skip this chapter until I get to a more perfect level of purity.  ;)

3 But, wo, wo, unto you that are not pure in heart, that are filthy this day before God; for except ye repent the land is cursed for your sakes. . .

Oh, well I'm not that bad!  :eek:  I don't think so anyway.

6 And now, this commandment they observe to keep; wherefore, because of this observance, in keeping this commandment, the Lord God will not destroy them, but will be merciful unto them; and one day they shall become a blessed people.

This verse alone indicates the importance of the Law of Chastity to the Lord.  The Lamanites, as wicked as they were, kept the law of chastity.  And solely because of their obedience to this law, the Lord determined that they would not be destroyed.  That is a big deal.  It also makes me reflect on Sodom and Gomorrah, which were both completely annihilated due to their wickedness, especially related to sexual sin.

This leads me to an opinion that there is something spiritually miraculous about the procreative act and power that even has yet not been revealed to mankind.  I am excited about the proposition to better understand it in the eternities.

11 . . . loose yourselves from the pains of hell . . .

I don't believe I could handle the pain of living in sin for very long.  If I were to commit adultery, or any other grievous sin, I think that the pains of hell that can be felt by those who commit such sins would be too much for me to handle even for a few days.  I would have to immediately confess to my spouse and priesthood leaders and begin the process of repentance.  I am also very grateful that I don't currently have to bear the burden that Jacob bore or that a bishop must bear in helping others work through the repentance process for their sins.  God bless those sincerely working to overcome, and those sharing in the burden to help them accomplish that goal.