Latest Boy Scout poop (and I don't use that term lightly)

Vort

5 hours ago, Dillon said:

I take my nieces, their close friends,  in the outdoors any chance I get, most of the time they are not interested. I try to plan camping trips, they are not interested. I try to get them off their phones, out in nature,  they are not interested. 

The tech-obsessiveness is current society in general, not specifically girls.

I can tell you what they are interested in, boys. Some of you think your daughters do nothing but hang out with other girls, they love hanging out with each other,  its all they want to do, well that is being naive. These girls meet in packs maybe, but to meet boys. These girls tell you they are going to their friend Sarah's house to spend the night, when they are actually going to a party with Sarah to meet their older boyfriend. I am getting off the OP here but my whole point of this is to say girls are just like boys, they want to run around in the woods, camp, fish, etc. is just not accurate.

As an actual girl, with 3 sisters, 50+ female cousins, and generally knowing a great abundance of females of all ages.... I'm sorry, but I fine your post here to be offensive and inaccurate to reality.  Yes, some young PEOPLE (of either gender) are like that, but is broadly inaccurate to paint everyone with such a stereotype as this.   Look without preconceptions and you'll see a large variety of people.  

I am getting off the OP here but my whole point of this is to say girls are just like boys, they want to run around in the woods, camp, fish, etc. is just not accurate.

Image may contain: one or more people

My staff girls who went up for a whole summer to live in tents, shower in crappy showers, and basically run around in the woods all day. Note the jacket uniforms. This is all free will and every single girl in this photo was a repeat camp offender.

Girls also like to pretend we're bears for photo ops because we think it's cute.

Edited by Backroads

I wonder if part of the measure of how much our teen girls will like camping/nature/non-boy-chasing-iphone-absorbing activity depends on their parents united front. For example, my wife likes camping more than I do. I hate, hate, hate putting things together--including tents. She has to help when we go, and I admit to a bit of foot-dragging. The girls go and do not complain, but I am guessing that if I was more into they would be too. Two of my daughters love reading and writing. It's something they see my wife and I do a lot. The two oldest are also getting into golf. I love it, even though I am beyond terrible at it. OF COURSE, as the oldest is now 17, she's starting to get more and more independent, non-home-based ideas of what to do. It happens. But, I don't panic about them being boy-crazy. If I saw them going in that direction, I would probably try to find some activities we could all do that would just be what we can all do, not, "Hey girls--gotta protect you from the boys--let's go bungee jumping).  Bottom line--like golf, parenting has got to be slow, steady, and always, with the eye on the ball (but without lifting the head to soon to make sure they're not with a boy).  :-)

Sorry for the random thoughts--and--thanks for playing.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:01 AM, Grunt said:

At church they were discussing pulling the kids out of BSA.  They didn't get into detail and everything I've read as an outsider is vague.  

Several of the parents in my ward (and the othrr ward that meets in our building) are considering pulling their sons out of scouts...to put them in my coed, community Venture Crew.

Along with a number of the young women.