General Authority excommunicated

pam

SALT LAKE CITY — Senior LDS Church leaders on Tuesday excommunicated a member of the Quorum of the Seventy who had been serving as the executive director of the church’s Correlation Department.

"This morning, James J. Hamula was released as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, following church disciplinary action by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles," said Eric Hawkins, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686362/LDS-Church-leaders-release-excommunicate-Elder-James-J-Hamula.html

11 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

What on earth could he have done!?

If it was not due to apostasy, then it was most likely personal sins that he was struggling with.  We may yet see him recover and return to the fold.

I am sad for this man and his family.  It is always sad when anyone commits sin, especially grievous sin.  However, sin and human frailty is a part of our lives.  Excommunication is part of the repentance process.  While I do not wish it upon anyone, the fact that this has happened is more likely to strengthen my faith than to try it.  Why?  Because we see that man is man regardless of if he is called to the primary or the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.  We see that God's chosen leaders are willing and able to call each other to repentance, and follow the true and prescribed methods for achieving it.  We see that the spirit of God wrestled with this man until he willingly submitted to a disciplinary council, confessing his sins, knowing full well the likely outcome.  Regardless of if he was initially caught, or confessed on his own, he has at least submitted himself to the will of God in this one aspect.  A prophet is only a prophet when he is acting as such.  It would be one thing if this was rampantly occurring, it would be another thing if it were being hushed.  This is how the true gospel works.  I wish the best to Brother Hamula and all who were or are affected by his actions, but I joy in knowing that the membership and all the world can see that the 'greatest' among us is not esteemed above the least.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Indeed, this is probably a question in poor taste.  We should feel sad for the man more than anything.

In fairness to you, I think all of us have to some degree asked the same question today. it's human nature. 

4 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Why are we trying to figure out what he did? That's useful......how?

When my wife left the church 6 yrs ago I wanted to share with everyone (family and ward members) how and why it happened. Why? so that we as a faith community can learn the tricks that satan uses on each and every one of us. I also wanted others to know that we all go through trials and Its ok to have trials, you are not being punished by the lord etc.

It wasnt long till I realized that the people that wanted to know why my wife was no longer attending church didnt really need to know, and the ones that do need to know are to afraid to ask. So I decided to join this forum and share my stories (anonymously) because chances are the ones that do need to know are actively searching for help and could find solace here.

Although we as the common members may never know the reasons behind disciplinary actions within our church, I do find comfort in knowing that our leaders are aware of the trials we face and are pleading with the Lord for solutions.

If anything this will show those who think that are leaders are infallible the truth.  Even the best can struggle and fall.  I am just so sad for him but if he is anything like the man I've seen the last few years, he will pick himself up, repent and find his way back.

12 hours ago, pam said:

"This morning, James J. Hamula was released as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, following church disciplinary action by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles," said Eric Hawkins, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686362/LDS-Church-leaders-release-excommunicate-Elder-James-J-Hamula.html

@MormonGator! What have you done !?!?!

11 hours ago, priesthoodpower said:

When my wife left the church 6 yrs ago I wanted to share with everyone (family and ward members) how and why it happened. Why? so that we as a faith community can learn the tricks that satan uses on each and every one of us. I also wanted others to know that we all go through trials and Its ok to have trials, you are not being punished by the lord etc.

It wasnt long till I realized that the people that wanted to know why my wife was no longer attending church didnt really need to know, and the ones that do need to know are to afraid to ask. So I decided to join this forum and share my stories (anonymously) because chances are the ones that do need to know are actively searching for help and could find solace here.

Although we as the common members may never know the reasons behind disciplinary actions within our church, I do find comfort in knowing that our leaders are aware of the trials we face and are pleading with the Lord for solutions.

Totally agree. Those asking, "why did he get excommunicated" are probably not the ones who it would actually be helpful to. What it amounts to is gossip.

Yep.  It'll be interesting to see if Mr. Hamula gives in to media and critic pressure and tells his story.  Then we'll actually have something to discuss.  Without him on the record, or people reporting witnessed facts, yeah, it's pretty much gossip and speculation and hearsay.  

We do know that the last time this happened, George P. Lee had been making public statements against the church.  And then shortly after his excommunication, accusations of sexual abuse of a minor, followed by conviction, prison time, life as a registered sex offender, then life as a fugitive when he failed to register, his capture and arrest, more life as a registered sex offender, finally, decades later, legally getting off the sex offender registry, then death a few short years later.   That was basically Lee's life after excommunication.  

Before and after pictures:
dlme.png.632770957928c4d58a84c75fb40fb364.png

Hopefully Mr. Hamula's story involves fewer victims and a less tragic rest-of-his-life.

Hopefully these stories in general will help people understand the roots of sin are present in all of us, and we need to nourish and feed our testimonies and choose to follow the light of Christ. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

@MormonGator! What have you done !?!?!

:: snickers :: if you ever think that I would become a general authority, you are out of your mind. Heck, I don't even have a calling now! 

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Those asking, "why did he get excommunicated" are probably not the ones who it would actually be helpful to. What it amounts to is gossip.

You're right that @DoctorLemon is a really bad apple.  I don't know why we put up with him.:P