LDS Church denounces racism

pam

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I was only 93 back then.  You forgot what day my birthday was.

What do you expect? You didn't appreciate the bottle of scotch I sent you to celebrate your 80th birthday, ingrate. 

( @zil, seriously, aren't you mad you can't "like" these? I'm giving you gold here!) 

Edited by MormonGator

15 hours ago, Godless said:

I believe this second statement was made in response to a very outspoken and widely-followed LDS sister on Twitter who has been quite supportive of the "Unite the Right" movement. She has since made several remarks criticizing the church for (in her perception) turning its back on "white culture". She's a real piece of work. 

You must be talking about the woman who has a blog and tweets as Wife With a Purpose.  If it is...then yeah she is totally a piece of work.

11 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

What do you expect? You didn't appreciate the bottle of scotch I sent you to celebrate your 80th birthday, ingrate. 

If you do the math, that would mean that you would be at least 64 years old.  You look awfully spry for a man of your years.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, pam said:

You must be talking about the woman who has a blog and tweets as Wife With a Purpose.  If it is...then yeah she is totally a piece of work.

The damage people like her do to the church is unfathomable. I am SO PROUD that the church condemned that lunatic. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

The damage people like her do to the church is unfathomable. I am SO PROUD that the church condemned that lunatic. 

I've not seen anything yet on any thoughts the Church has regarding her.  But if she continues her own racists remarks, she will come to their attention if not already.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, pam said:

I've not seen anything yet on any thoughts the Church has regarding her.  But if she continues her own racists remarks, she will come to their attention if not already.

By "the church" I mean 95% of it's members, maybe not the official church. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

By "the church" I mean 95% of it's members, maybe not the official church. 

It was interesting seeing a post from a former coworker today regarding her.  He is not LDS but his comments were pretty much in line with my own thoughts.  He hoped that the LDS Church would distance themselves away from her as what she was doing was not good for the LDS image.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, pam said:

It was interesting seeing a post from a former coworker today regarding her.  He is not LDS but his comments were pretty much in line with my own thoughts.  He hoped that the LDS Church would distance themselves away from her as what she was doing was not good for the LDS image.

It's horrible for our image. Like it or not,  to the outside world the church has had some "issues" with race. This is the LAST thing the church needs right now. 

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It does pain me to say it, but there's more than one LDS white-supremacist neo-nazi lunatic out there.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2017/08/beyond-repulsive-far-beyond.html

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

It does pain me to say it, but there's more than one LDS white-supremacist neo-nazi lunatic out there.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2017/08/beyond-repulsive-far-beyond.html

The sad part is that anti-LDS people will use this as a stick to beat the church with. They'll claim that the majority of the members think like these idiots do. Which could not be further from the truth. 

I'm a little surprised that racism is still such a big problem in America.  I guess if you are raised around really stupid ideas (such as being a racist), you carry those ideas onto adulthood.

I was not raised around racism, so it all hits me as a bunch of craziness, mixed with low class, low education, small minds.

If my daughter wants to marry a black guy or a Latino guy or an Asian guy or an Aborigine or an Arab or whatever, I am perfectly fine with it!  If the guy is a good, active Mormon, I don't care what color his skin is.  It might even be kind of cool to have a son in law of a different race!  

As for Wife with a Purpose, never heard of her!  Sounds like that may be a good thing.

Edited by DoctorLemon

2 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Sorry.  I've known Daniel Peterson for years and I would never ever call him an LDS white supremacist neo nazi lunatic.  Far from it.

Just now, pam said:

Sorry.  I've known Daniel Peterson for years and I would never ever call him an LDS white supremacist neo nazi lunatic.  Far from it.

Not sure why you're saying that, Pam.  This link is Dr. Peterson's article about the LDS neo-Nazis he learned about.  It's sort of an important read...

Just now, NeuroTypical said:

Not sure why you're saying that, Pam.  This link is Dr. Peterson's article about the LDS neo-Nazis he learned about.  It's sort of an important read...

I read his article the day it came out and I guess I'm reading it differently.  Knowing Dan I just know the kind of person he is.

Just now, pam said:

I read his article the day it came out and I guess I'm reading it differently.  Knowing Dan I just know the kind of person he is.

NT isn't saying DP is the neo-Nazi, he's saying DP wrote an article exposing (and denouncing) LDS neo-Nazis.  I think you two are on the same page.

1 minute ago, zil said:

NT isn't saying DP is the neo-Nazi, he's saying DP wrote an article exposing (and denouncing) LDS neo-Nazis.  I think you two are on the same page.

Thanks.  Maybe I was misunderstanding NT's comment.  I thought he was referring to Dan as the lunatic. :)

3 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

I'm a little surprised that racism is still such a big problem in America.  I guess if you are raised around really stupid ideas (such as being a racist), you carry those ideas onto adulthood.

Well, kind of.  I was raised by a WWII vet born in 1922.  He carried many of the prejudices of the time.  Example: My dad told the story umpteen times about how "black soldiers in WWII stole everything that wasn't nailed down."  I don't think he ever actually met one, it's just those are the stories he was immersed in, and those are the stories he told me.  He also had a cold, edged hatred towards the Japanese, which only slightly dulled during his lifetime.

I also witnessed his acts of charity to people in hard situations, which included his hated minorities.  I never got a straight answer out of him about how "blacks" and "Japanese" were such horrible people, but "that guy who was down on his luck" was a perfectly acceptable person, even though he may have been black or Japanese.  I don't think my dad had a straight answer to give.  

But for whatever reason, I didn't carry any of that stuff with me into adulthood.  In fact, I remember listening to his stories at an early age, and thinking he was off base.  

I figure there will always be evil pockets of things like racism.  We can't wipe it out totally, we just need to denounce it whenever we see it.

1 minute ago, pam said:

Thanks.  Maybe I was misunderstanding NT's comment.  I thought he was referring to Dan as the lunatic. :)

Ah - nope.  Here's how it went in my mind:

Mormongator: I am SO PROUD that the church condemned that lunatic. 
Me: There's more than one of them.  Here's an article where Dr. Peterson talks about lots of them.
Pam: Dr. Peterson isn't a neo-Nazi!
Me: *confuzzled*

12 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

I was not raised around racism, so it all hits me as a bunch of craziness, mixed with low class, low education, small minds.

If my daughter wants to marry a black guy or a Latino guy or an Asian guy or an Aborigine or an Arab or whatever, I am perfectly fine with it!  If the guy is a good, active Mormon, I don't care what color his skin is.  It might even be kind of cool to have a son in law of a different race!  

The root of racism is much more fundamental than that.  Humanity wants, even needs, to categorize things.  And there are some benefits to this behavior.

• It relieves us from the cumbersome task of learning everything by itself.
  • If we recognize the patterns and similarities of things in the same category, it gives us a hint as to some other similar characteristics as well.  Science is full of such things.

This mentality is carried over into all our thinking.  If we can't categorize, we can't really analyze effectively.  Logic kind of goes out the window when we say every single thing and every single occurrence is unique.  Logic required that we categorize or else, we can't make hypotheses or derive conclusions.  Evidence is useless.  Science is useless.

Knowing that, we then realize that the primary method humans use for learning things is our eyes.  Our eyes see skin color and physical features.  Hence, racism.  

While all this is completely natural and will always be common, it doesn't make it good behavior.

My only defense is that God does it too.  What with all His talk of His covenant/chosen people, and folks chosen to be led to choice lands of inheritance, and pruning/burning the wild branches of the olive tree, and all that.  

If you're in the business of finding people who draw circles and point out that you're either inside the circle or outside, you're finding God in that group.  Of course, God is big on allowing people to pick for themselves if they want to be inside or outside the circle, but yes, absolutely, there's a circle.

Edited by NeuroTypical

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic