Two truths and a lie game

Suzie

16 minutes ago, eddified said:

Haha! You just said it. That's the joke though, right?

Aargh!  I tried to delete it, but they removed the "delete post" option.  Decided it was not a very nice thing for me to say, and it would be just my luck if someone came through who did believe in extra-terrestrials.

Many very good people believe some slightly strange things.  Look at my theories on cavemen!  That doesn't make them crazy.  Just a different point of view.

My apologies on my ill considered comment.

Edited by DoctorLemon

For the record I don't believe in intelligent extra-terrestrials visiting earth. I'm convinced it would never happen, but if it did, they'd be humans that look like us, from another of God's planets (I'm not making a statement asserting that there are [or are not] other humans living on other planets.)

Edited by eddified

17 minutes ago, eddified said:

For the record I don't believe in intelligent extra-terrestrials visiting earth. I'm convinced it would never happen, but if it did, they'd be humans that look like us, from another of God's planets (I'm not making a statement asserting that there are [or are not] other humans living on other planets.)

That's basically what I believe.  Aliens are out there, far far away, but they don't (and won't) have anything to do with us in this life.

Edited by DoctorLemon

1 minute ago, zil said:
  1. I have been to 19 different countries.
  2. I stole a car from the police.
  3. I was trained in anti-terrorist driving techniques by the Secret Service.

Nineteen different countries?! Pssh. Yeah, right.

Well, I've broken the rules already, and the next person could guess the lie, so....

1 hour ago, zil said:
  1. I have been to 19 different countries.
  2. I stole a car from the police.
  3. I was trained in anti-terrorist driving techniques by the Secret Service.

#3 is the lie - the anti-terrorist driving class (one day only) was taught by a guy from Diplomatic Security (State Department).  J-turns are fabulous (when you get to do them in a safe place using someone else's vehicle - they're hard on pretty much every part of the car).

19 Different Countries (not including overflown airspace), in no particular order...:

1. US
  2. Canada
  3. Russia
  4. England
  5. Germany
  6. Austria
  7. Czech Republic (or Czechoslovakia, not sure which it was then; if Czech Republic, it's possible a train took me through part of Slovakia - too lazy to go check the passport)
  8. Hungary
  9. Cyprus (only the airport, though)
  10. South Yemen (only the airport, though; yes, back then, it was South Yemen)
  11. Kenya
  12. Tanzania (our driver did an illegal border crossing in the middle of nowhere and told us afterwards, probably didn't matter as we had Tanzanian visas too; he also told us not to tell, but I'm telling....)
  13. Turkey
  14. Estonia (crossed it via train from Moscow, then a taxi to the port where we caught a ferry to...)
  15. Finland
  16. Belgium
  17. Spain
  18. Italy
  19. Sweden

Story of stealing a car from the police...  I was one of two dispatchers in the motor pool for the US Embassy in Moscow.  We'll call the other one Jon.  This happened after we had started hiring Russians again, but the Russians still drove the embassy's diplomatic vehicles (as in, American cars with diplomatic license plates).

One weekend, a Russian driver went out to the airport to pick someone up, but the person wasn't on the plane.  On his way out of the airport, the airport police pulled him over (after this, we gave him a long lecture about not stopping for the police when in a diplomatic vehicle).  Well, he didn't have his papers - don't ask me how he managed that as it's a dangerous thing there.  So the cop told him he couldn't drive and impounded the car.  It was illegal for them to touch the car, let alone impound it - very, very big no no.

We learn this on Monday morning and send out two Russian drivers to pick up the impounded car.  The police won't let it go without paying a fine (illegal) and the drivers don't have enough rubles on them, so they come back.  We send out two American drivers (with partial immunity - they stopped giving drivers full immunity at some point), and they come back with the same story.  We call the embassy security office, tell them the story, and ask them for help getting our car back.  They say, "It's your car, you get it back."  Jon (my fellow dispatcher) and I look at each other and nod - oh, yeah, we're gonna go get our car back. :evilsmile:

After work, we go get the spare keys and head out to the airport.  We now need a picture:

GrandTheftAvto.thumb.jpg.ce985d9507914894417ff8981b1d772c.jpg

(NOTE: The gates have those wooden arms like you see at railroad crossings.)  We drive out and park in the spot labeled "where we parked" (the scribbled in area beside it had trees, so "where we parked" wasn't visible from the impound lot).  We then walked to "Gate 1" where we were greeted by a little old man.  We told him why we were there and he said we'd have to see the men at the other gate.  As luck would have it, our car was easily spotted in the spot labeled "our car" (big white Chevy in a sea of little Russian cars is hard to miss, plus it was right up front).  On the way to the hut by Gate 2, we agreed that Jon would talk to the guards (his Russian being better and he being male) while I got into the car and, basically, stole it.

Our luck was running high because there was another car waiting to exit Gate 2.  I got into our car and pulled it up behind that car.  Jon engaged the guards in conversation about how they should let us have our car back.  When the one manning the gate lifted it to let the other car through, I followed.  All the guards forgot Jon and chased after me shouting and banging on the car until I could get up enough speed to leave them behind (hoo yah for adrenaline).  Meanwhile, Jon walks back to Gate 1, where the little old man says, "I see they let you have your car back."  Jon says, "Yep."  I pull up in front of Jon's car to wait and once he's in, we take off.

The next morning, we get a call from the embassy security office all upset because the airport police have called to complain about how we stole the car.  We pointed out that we'd tried to follow the rules twice and been illegally shot down, then tried to get their help to work with the police and been told to handle it ourselves, so we handled it ourselves, and if they and the airport police were unhappy, they could handle it themselves. :D

Security sent a Russian (former KGB) down to get a car to drive out to the airport to smooth things over.  He told us not to worry, that the airport police were wrong to impound the car and they knew it, and that he'd take care of it with the chief of airport police - who he knew personally.  He was the kind of guy who was great if he was on your side and downright scary if he wasn't.  Fortunately, he liked motor pool.

The end.  Of that adventure.  Diplomatic immunity is a great thing.  :itwasntme:  As are American school buses on the streets of Moscow... ;)

Guest MormonGator
12 hours ago, zil said:

Well, I've broken the rules already, and the next person could guess the lie, so....

#3 is the lie - the anti-terrorist driving class (one day only) was taught by a guy from Diplomatic Security (State Department).  J-turns are fabulous (when you get to do them in a safe place using someone else's vehicle - they're hard on pretty much every part of the car).

19 Different Countries (not including overflown airspace), in no particular order...:

1. US
  2. Canada
  3. Russia
  4. England
  5. Germany
  6. Austria
  7. Czech Republic (or Czechoslovakia, not sure which it was then; if Czech Republic, it's possible a train took me through part of Slovakia - too lazy to go check the passport)
  8. Hungary
  9. Cyprus (only the airport, though)
  10. South Yemen (only the airport, though; yes, back then, it was South Yemen)
  11. Kenya
  12. Tanzania (our driver did an illegal border crossing in the middle of nowhere and told us afterwards, probably didn't matter as we had Tanzanian visas too; he also told us not to tell, but I'm telling....)
  13. Turkey
  14. Estonia (crossed it via train from Moscow, then a taxi to the port where we caught a ferry to...)
  15. Finland
  16. Belgium
  17. Spain
  18. Italy
  19. Sweden

Story of stealing a car from the police...  I was one of two dispatchers in the motor pool for the US Embassy in Moscow.  We'll call the other one Jon.  This happened after we had started hiring Russians again, but the Russians still drove the embassy's diplomatic vehicles (as in, American cars with diplomatic license plates).

One weekend, a Russian driver went out to the airport to pick someone up, but the person wasn't on the plane.  On his way out of the airport, the airport police pulled him over (after this, we gave him a long lecture about not stopping for the police when in a diplomatic vehicle).  Well, he didn't have his papers - don't ask me how he managed that as it's a dangerous thing there.  So the cop told him he couldn't drive and impounded the car.  It was illegal for them to touch the car, let alone impound it - very, very big no no.

We learn this on Monday morning and send out two Russian drivers to pick up the impounded car.  The police won't let it go without paying a fine (illegal) and the drivers don't have enough rubles on them, so they come back.  We send out two American drivers (with partial immunity - they stopped giving drivers full immunity at some point), and they come back with the same story.  We call the embassy security office, tell them the story, and ask them for help getting our car back.  They say, "It's your car, you get it back."  Jon (my fellow dispatcher) and I look at each other and nod - oh, yeah, we're gonna go get our car back. :evilsmile:

After work, we go get the spare keys and head out to the airport.  We now need a picture:

GrandTheftAvto.thumb.jpg.ce985d9507914894417ff8981b1d772c.jpg

(NOTE: The gates have those wooden arms like you see at railroad crossings.)  We drive out and park in the spot labeled "where we parked" (the scribbled in area beside it had trees, so "where we parked" wasn't visible from the impound lot).  We then walked to "Gate 1" where we were greeted by a little old man.  We told him why we were there and he said we'd have to see the men at the other gate.  As luck would have it, our car was easily spotted in the spot labeled "our car" (big white Chevy in a sea of little Russian cars is hard to miss, plus it was right up front).  On the way to the hut by Gate 2, we agreed that Jon would talk to the guards (his Russian being better and he being male) while I got into the car and, basically, stole it.

Our luck was running high because there was another car waiting to exit Gate 2.  I got into our car and pulled it up behind that car.  Jon engaged the guards in conversation about how they should let us have our car back.  When the one manning the gate lifted it to let the other car through, I followed.  All the guards forgot Jon and chased after me shouting and banging on the car until I could get up enough speed to leave them behind (hoo yah for adrenaline).  Meanwhile, Jon walks back to Gate 1, where the little old man says, "I see they let you have your car back."  Jon says, "Yep."  I pull up in front of Jon's car to wait and once he's in, we take off.

The next morning, we get a call from the embassy security office all upset because the airport police have called to complain about how we stole the car.  We pointed out that we'd tried to follow the rules twice and been illegally shot down, then tried to get their help to work with the police and been told to handle it ourselves, so we handled it ourselves, and if they and the airport police were unhappy, they could handle it themselves. :D

Security sent a Russian (former KGB) down to get a car to drive out to the airport to smooth things over.  He told us not to worry, that the airport police were wrong to impound the car and they knew it, and that he'd take care of it with the chief of airport police - who he knew personally.  He was the kind of guy who was great if he was on your side and downright scary if he wasn't.  Fortunately, he liked motor pool.

The end.  Of that adventure.  Diplomatic immunity is a great thing.  :itwasntme:  As are American school buses on the streets of Moscow... ;)

Wow. Two things-1, that's amazing @zil you have lived quite a life. 

2-I am awful at this game. 

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, zil said:

The post-diplomatic-immunity portion of my life has been lived in Yawnville. :sleeping:

Since I'll never guess correctly, here are my three: 

1. I've climbed over 10+ of the 4,000 foot mountains in New England. 

2. I applied for a very popular reality tv show back in the early 2000s by sending in a VHS tape. 

3. I once sat near retired baseball player Pete Rose on a plane 

Edited by MormonGator

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

2. I applied for a very popular reality tv show back in the early 2000s by sending in a VHS tape. 

Crud.  You don't like camping, so that makes me want to rule out #1, except you may not have had to camp to do it...  On the other hand, that VHS tape looks suspicious.  So, I'm gonna say #3, which is entirely possible. :P

28 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

#2 is a lie.

M.

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I know the answer, but I'm not telling. 

Mine: 

1. I've met professional wrestler The Undertaker. 

2. I've preformed in Gillette Stadium

3. I once had my car searched by the Canadian border patrol and was detained by them for two hours. 

Edited by LadyGator

1 hour ago, LadyGator said:

Mine: 

3. I once had my car searched by the Canadian border patrol and was detained by them for two hours. 

It has to be #1, because you mistakenly used the words "professional" and "wrestler" in the same sentence.  :P

5 hours ago, LadyGator said:

Mine: 

I'll say #3 is a lie, since it seems like a very possible situation. :)

M.