What is doctrine and what is not?

Fether

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

What does that mean to you: not accepting the gospel or Christ but accepting the Holy Spirit? How does that play out in your thinking?

Personally I think it could mean a person that didn't get baptized and set apart since we all have the right to the influence of the Holy Spirit.  

1 minute ago, eVa said:

Personally I think it could mean a person that didn't get baptized and set apart since we all have the right to the influence of the Holy Spirit.  

A right to the Holy Ghost and "accepting" the Holy Ghost cannot hardly be the same thing though. If one "accepts" the Holy Ghost then they are accepting truth. And truth testifies of the Savior and the gospel, so... Yeah. I don't really see accepting that as the real meaning. I'll grant some of the meanings get a bit muddy. But generally speaking, those who become Sons of Perdition are said to have denied the Holy Ghost -- but that is understood to mean a fullness of the Holy Ghost -- meaning they've been given full light and knowledge and still reject it.

• pam featured this topic
15 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

A right to the Holy Ghost and "accepting" the Holy Ghost cannot hardly be the same thing though. If one "accepts" the Holy Ghost then they are accepting truth. And truth testifies of the Savior and the gospel, so... Yeah. I don't really see accepting that as the real meaning. I'll grant some of the meanings get a bit muddy. But generally speaking, those who become Sons of Perdition are said to have denied the Holy Ghost -- but that is understood to mean a fullness of the Holy Ghost -- meaning they've been given full light and knowledge and still reject it.

Right, the "gift" of the Holy Ghost comes not just at baptism, but during confirmation correct?  I agree the Sons of Perdition are those who fully reject the light and truth after receiving it.  

10 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

Just for kicks- heard it again last conference-

"may I remind all of us that we live in a fallen world and for now we are a fallen people. We are in the telestial kingdom"

Right. So clearly that must mean the same thing as the telestial kingdom "which surpasses all understanding; And no man knows it except him to whom God has revealed it." Obviously. <_<

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

Right. So clearly that must mean the same thing as the telestial kingdom "which surpasses all understanding; And no man knows it except him to whom God has revealed it." Obviously. <_<

You forget that Rob thinks Joseph Smith didn't understand the vision which led to this section of the D&C, therefore, this section cannot be trusted.

I think I'm going to use this as an excuse to write a (postal) letter to Elder Holland.  We'll see what happens. :)

I'd like to point out, also, how ridiculous an idea it is to use apostles' quoted, who CLEARLY believe in D&C 76 (quotes provided upon request), to discredit D&C 76. It is very plain that the apostles and prophets, who both refer to D&C 76 -- the telestial kingdom which surpasses all understanding that the wicked will inherit post resurrection -- and also refer to this world as the telestial kingdom, don't mean both references to be equivalent. The idea of using one set of quotes as evidence against the other is entirely dishonest.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

39 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

And yet we marvel over the great mysteries of this earth because it surpasseth all understanding....

26 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I'd like to point out, also, how ridiculous an idea it is to use apostles' quoted, who CLEARLY believe in D&C 76 (quotes provided upon request), to discredit D&C 76. It is very plain that the apostles and prophets, who both refer to D&C 76 -- the telestial kingdom which surpasses all understanding that the wicked will inherit post resurrection -- and also refer to this world as the telestial kingdom, don't mean both references to be equivalent. The idea of using one set of quotes as evidence against the other is entirely dishonest.

Thats not my intent. My intent was to show that perhaps minds are changing, perhaps were beginning to see a doctrinal shift, a new understanding.

I do know that what we have now sure doesnt work.

5 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

Thats not my intent. My intent was to show that perhaps minds are changing, perhaps were beginning to see a doctrinal shift, a new understanding.

I do know that what we have now sure doesnt work.

By which do you mean to say that you think Jeffry R Holland believes that D&C 76 is a bunch of hogwash?

I really have to wonder at the arrogance to believe that leads a person to think, "I don't understand this, therefore it must be wrong".

Its studying out over twenty years to conclude there are paradoxial problems. And then from there trying to resolve the conflict. Its not arrogance, its using ones intelligence in careful study.

Just now, Rob Osborn said:

I dont know what you are saying. I commented to show that an apostle believes we are in the telestial kingdom right now. Its a step perhaps, thats all.

I am saying that you think that Jeffry R Holland saying that must mean that he is somehow disregarding the explanation of the Telestial Kindgom described in D&C 76, because that is the only way it is a "doctrinal shift" rather than simply using the word in a different sense.

Just now, Rob Osborn said:

Its studying out over twenty years to conclude there are paradoxial problems. And then from there trying to resolve the conflict. Its not arrogance, its using ones intelligence in careful study.

Assuming one's intelligence and careful study is the end all to understanding pretty much defines arrogance.

I am saying that you think that Jeffry R Holland saying that must mean that he is somehow disregarding the explanation of the Telestial Kindgom described in D&C 76, because that is the only way it is a "doctrinal shift" rather than simply using the word in a different sense.

I am saying that he understands that we are currently in the telestial kingdom. This is one of the very first times I have see a modern day prophet declare in General conference this exact wording. Perhaps we are beginning to see a doctrinal shift. Thats all.

2 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

I am saying that he understands that we are currently in the telestial kingdom. This is one of the very first times I have see a modern day prophet declare in General conference this exact wording. Perhaps we are beginning to see a doctrinal shift. Thats all.

Have you been through the temple?

• pam unfeatured this topic