Offended much? SMH

pam

So this picture and comment was made to Hobby Lobby's facebook page.  I mean...seriously?

This decor is WRONG on SO many levels. There is nothing decorative about raw cotton... A commodity which was gained at the expense of African-American slaves.

A little sensitivity goes a long way.

PLEASE REMOVE THIS "decor".

hoblob cotton.jpg

When it comes to being offended, the person taking offense is almost entirely to blame. Henceforth my comment on another topic "If someone is offended... then they deserve to be offended".

You decide where your priorities and beliefs lie, you decide what does and does not offend you. 

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, Fether said:

When it comes to being offended, the person taking offense is almost entirely to blame. Henceforth my comment on another topic "If someone is offended... then they deserve to be offended".

You decide where your priorities and beliefs lie, you decide what does and does not offend you. 

Yup. I agree totally.

Generally the accuser is the one who is most guilty. IE-If I am envious I'm more likely to point out envy in others. Same with greed, lust, gluttony, you name it. When thin skinned babies like the one @pam is describing get "offended" it's mostly due to their own failures and weaknesses. It shows how THEY see the world. Only a fool could find this Hobby Lobby set up "offensive" in any way, shape or form. 

I'm offended that she's wrongly offended by raw cotton picked (presumably) by a machine more than a hundred years after the end of slavery in America.  What's more, I'm offended that Hobby Lobby don't have a sign telling me exactly where that cotton was picked - I mean, it might not even be descended from cotton plants that were picked by slaves, so her offense could be all messed up, which would make my offense at her offense invalid, which, frankly, is just plain offensive.  I mean, that cotton could have come from China (like half the other stuff in most American box stores), in which case, there's a whole other set of things we should be offended and counter-offended by.  This is all too offensive.  I think I'll go chew on a piece of beef jerky.

One of my mom and dad's "swears" when I was a kid was "cotton-pickin!" As in, "get that cotton-pickin' thing off the kitchen table" or the like. I had no idea, of course, that such a saying was racist in nature, and, frankly, don't think my parents ever thought about it back then either. It was just something that was said.

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

One of my mom and dad's "swears" when I was a kid was "cotton-pickin!" As in, "get that cotton-pickin' thing off the kitchen table" or the like. I had no idea, of course, that such a saying was racist in nature, and, frankly, don't think my parents ever thought about it back then either. It was just something that was said.

Holy cow.  That never even occurred to me until I read your post.  Although, given the history of poor white sharecroppers in the South, I suppose the expression might be more classist than elitist in nature?