What’s with all these sticky-fingered Mormon feminists?

Just_A_Guy

So, around the beginning of last year the ultra-feminist, perennially-critical, left-wing Feminist Mormon Housewives blog announced that one of their principals had been misappropriating organization funds. (http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/2016/01/an-important-announcement/)

This week it was announced that a former treasurer at the ultra-feminist, perennially-critical, left-wing Exponent II magazine/blog—not the same individual, AFAIK—had done, apparently, the same thing; apparently leaving the organization in quite dire straits financially.  (http://www.the-exponent.com/exponent-ii-misappropriation-of-funds-announcement/)

Discuss.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

The modern "feminist" movement is, to put it bluntly, riddled through with hucksters, con artists, get-rich-quick types, professional victims, deviants, and even full-on predators. 

Yes, it's pretty much taken for granted in some circles that if someone's an avowed "male" feminist there's a good chance they're a predator taking advantage of the "you're with us or you're against us!" mentality that so many female modern feminists hold to in order to create a group of loyal, vulnerable ladies they can target. This was hammered home in tragic detail a few months ago with the "Russian Deadpool" incident, but there have been a lot of other examples, including of big names in the field. 

One would think that the movement would take some time to remove the beam from its own eye...

I think this is a case of Greed plain and simple...  The Mormon Feminists angle is just a red herring.

Greed is why the church has a tight control over its finances and donations, greed is why we have locks on the lockers in the temple.

As much as we want to be able to trust everyone as much as we should be able to trust everyone.. some times you just need a good lock.

The church has learned this lesson(mostly), these Mormon Feminists groups apparently have not.

I think selling someone out to the public for something like this that could have and should have been handled quietly and internally is despicable on its own.

Immoral people do immoral things -- sometimes in the name of good (or "transparency" as it seems to be in this case), and sometimes in the name of just being immoral -- like having sticky fingers. It doesn't and won't surprise me that individuals who have bought into an immoral ideology that satisfies the carnal man (or woman, as it may be) sometimes might be otherwise immoral as well.

Of course some individuals who engage in moral enterprises are sometimes immoral in some ways on the side as well...so I do not think the individual "sticky finger" incidents specifically speak to the organization's morality itself -- the organization's morality is it's own thing, and stands, to me, as immoral all on it's own.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the street, good brother finance clerk NeuroTypical successfully passed his second finance audit.  Highlights: 

- The Stake auditor's day job is active-duty patrol officer, with years of criminal auditing experience.  He's a nice guy.  Nobody messes with him.
- He was happy to discover I had detected and corrected a discrepancy where a member requested reimbursement for one penny more than she actually should have requested.
- He took me to task for documenting a check as "auto payment for bro so-and-so", because it was unnecessarily vague - was it an "automatic" payment, or an "automobile" payment?
- In his years of auditing for the church, he's found a few cases of poor judgment or processes not followed, but never a case of intentional fraud.

Pity the FMH/Exponent people didn't have one of him looking over their shoulders.

Edited by NeuroTypical

It seems there’s a difference between “disclosure” and “oversight” that many of these malcontent groups don’t fully comprehend.  For all their self-congratulatory “disclosures” over the years, they had no plan for how to figure out whether someone on the inside was doctoring their numbers—and if the books are being convincingly cooked, disclosure doesn’t matter worth a fig.

Conservative Mormons tend to get reamed for putting too much financial trust in people who, per progressive dogma, don’t “deserve it”, and for our lack of what they deem sufficient disclosure.  But as @NeuroTypical says, oversight is one thing the Church does very, very well; whereas FMH and E-II fell into the same trap they accuse us of wallowing in:  they trusted the wrong people.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the street, good brother finance clerk NeuroTypical successfully passed his second finance audit.  Highlights: 

- The Stake auditor's day job is active-duty patrol officer, with years of criminal auditing experience.  He's a nice guy.  Nobody messes with him.
- He was happy to discover I had detected and corrected a discrepancy where a member requested reimbursement for one penny more than she actually should have requested.
- He took me to task for documenting a check as "auto payment for bro so-and-so", because it was unnecessarily vague - was it an "automatic" payment, or an "automobile" payment?
- In his years of auditing for the church, he's found a few cases of poor judgment or processes not followed, but never a case of intentional fraud.

Pity the FMH/Exponent people didn't have one of him looking over their shoulders.

I thought the whole "auditing" and "auditors" thing was another church. Regardless, it sounds like Tom Cruise helped you address your issues, so.... bully for you? I guess?