Future Prophets and Apostles

Fether

37 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Avraham Gileadi was a former Jewish Rabbi that was converted to “Mormonism” through connections to Hugh Nibley and quotations of Isaiah in the Book of Mormon.

Gileadi's Isaiah translation is a worthy addition to any LDS library.

Guest MormonGator
22 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

I heard Part 3, though, is actually a lot more like a real R-rated movie - violence, profanity, etc., to the point it is not easily editable.  Too bad.

You aren't missing much. Godfather 3 is quite bad while the first two are among the best movies of all time. 

1 hour ago, SilentOne said:

It's either a later edition or it's a different book, probably using his same translation. Mine doesn't look like that.

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 1:13 PM, P_Day said:

I looked at how likely each Apostle is to be the President of the Church at some point. This takes into account their age, position in seniority, and age/health of more senior Apostles. I have put the other 13 Apostles into 4 Tiers.

Tier 1: Very Likely
President Nelson, Elders Holland and Bednar

Tier 2: Somewhat Likely
Elders Oaks and Stevenson

Tier 3: Unlikely
Elders Anderson, Rasband, and Renlund

Tier 4: Very Unlikely
Elder Ballard, President Eyring, Elders Cook and Christofferson

This is based off of the prediction that the next 5 Presidents of the Church will be: President Nelson --> Elder Oaks --> Elder Holland --> Elder Bednar --> Elder Stevenson

Do you think they will select the 2 new Apostles when the First Presidency is reorganized or wait until April General Conference? I think it would be odd to reorganize the First Presidency, but not also take the opportunity to fill out the last 2 spots in the Quorum of the 12.

• 2 months later...

A friend of a friend commented on Facebook about General Conference that she's praying to God really really hard that the new Apostle is not white.

I was very very very tempted to respond, "So you're asking God to choose the new apostle by the color of his skin moreso than the content of his character?".

But yeah, I'm tired of arguing with people.

17 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Gee, and here I was about to propose Donald Trump and Rodrigo Duterte to fill the two vacancies in the Quorum . . . :satan:

14 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

@anatess2 might like that.

Oh no no no.  We still have a good 4 years with Duterte and possibly 7 years with Trump as President.  Let's not change that quite yet!

On another note, we had an RS lesson yesterday about Worship (in relation to the Sabbath) and the teacher wrote on the board things we worship - Money, Fame, Beauty... Politics.  And then she asked a rhetorical question, shaking her head, do we revere Trump?  I, of course answered, YES!  She gave me a funny look.  She's new to the ward so she doesn't know yet that you don't bring up polarizing politics in a Church classroom with me in it and get away with it.  Doesn't matter if it was, do we revere Obama?  Stay away from those things in a church classroom.

10 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Oh no no no.  We still have a good 4 years with Duterte and possibly 7 years with Trump as President.  Let's not change that quite yet!

On another note, we had an RS lesson yesterday about Worship (in relation to the Sabbath) and the teacher wrote on the board things we worship - Money, Fame, Beauty... Politics.  And then she asked a rhetorical question, shaking her head, do we revere Trump?  I, of course answered, YES!  She gave me a funny look.  She's new to the ward so she doesn't know yet that you don't bring up polarizing politics in a Church classroom with me in it and get away with it.  Doesn't matter if it was, do we revere Obama?  Stay away from those things in a church classroom.

Technically we shouldn't "revere" anything of this world...but relatively to God. We shouldn't "treasure up" things that have no value, etc. But...it depends on what one is meaning by "revere". I think I see her point as a non-political one. 

20 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Technically we shouldn't "revere" anything of this world...but relatively to God. We shouldn't "treasure up" things that have no value, etc. But...it depends on what one is meaning by "revere". I think I see her point as a non-political one. 

Irrelevant.  You don't use those kinds of examples in an RS classroom in the way she was using it.  If she would have said, "do we revere Presidents?" I wouldn't call her out on it.

Edited by anatess2

5 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Irrelevant.  You don't use those kinds of examples in an RS classroom in the way she was using it.  If she would have said, "do we revere Presidents?" I wouldn't call her out on it.

If one has a chip on their shoulder given one matter or another and one refuses, as one is perhaps wont to do oft times, to see what said person's actual meaning was, then perhaps one might consider my comment irrelevant. But that consideration is weak sauce.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

If one has a chip on their shoulder given one matter or another and one refuses, as one is perhaps wont to do oft times, to see what said person's actual meaning was, then perhaps one might consider my comment irrelevant. But that consideration is weak sauce.

I’m Bisaya!  No strong sauce here!

It is irrelevant, not because it doesn’t matter, but rather her intent in the lesson, even if pure, still warrants a correction to the way she presented the lesson.  It’s not about chips - like I said, Trump or Obama would be the same.  Well, maybe it could be a chip - we’ve had some people in our ward stop coming to Church because they got tired of hearing in Church how Romney is great.  They were Ron Paul supporters.  But I’ve been piping up when dicey partisan politics is brought up at Church even before that.

Edited by anatess2

Excuse me...I did not realize that there was any wiggle room on the succession issue. I thought that the longest serving apostle was automatically prophet? As God removes all other contenders. ? (There no icon for the Grim Reaper! What an oversight!) 

No? So we do have a vote among the apostles?

Can we lobby? (Just kidding on the lobbying!) imagine us with signs advocating for Elder Holland outside General Conference! 

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:37 AM, Sunday21 said:

Excuse me...I did not realize that there was any wiggle room on the succession issue. I thought that the longest serving apostle was automatically prophet? As God removes all other contenders. ? (There no icon for the Grim Reaper! What an oversight!) 

No? So we do have a vote among the apostles?

Can we lobby? (Just kidding on the lobbying!) imagine us with signs advocating for Elder Holland outside General Conference! 

It's an interesting postulation.

I believe, the next in line (that would have been Oaks last time) Nominates the Eldest apostle, or president of the Twelve for the President of the church.  They then vote on this.

It means that if the Lord decides someone else should be prophet, that is the time it will occur.  Thus far, it has always been the eldest apostle and president of the Quorum of the twelve.

An interesting item if the prophet is ever chosen who is NOT the eldest apostle.

I think the legal bylaws of the Corporation of the Church defines who will be the President of the Church, and it is defined as such that the Eldest of the Apostles will become the President of the Church.

If the Prophet was ever NOT the same individual, it could make for an interesting situation between the civic legalities of the law and the spiritual ones.