Prophetic Priorities

laronius

In the not too distant past I remember hearing in a training I attended the need to study the prophetic priorities. I think at the time there may have been some trainings take place on an area level that specifically mentioned 5 prophetic priorities. The way I would define a prophetic priority are those topics that seem to receive a lot of attention, over a short period of time (relatively speaking), by our leaders especially at General Conference. Lately there are 2 that come to mind: sabbath/sacrament observance and studying the Book of Mormon. Are there other topics that seem to be receiving increased attention over the last few years that anyone can think of?

Edited by laronius

13 hours ago, laronius said:

In the not too distant past I remember hearing in a training I attended the need to study the prophetic priorities. I think at the time there may have been some trainings take place on an area level that specifically mentioned 5 prophetic priorities. The way I would define a prophetic priority are those topics that seem to receive a lot of attention, over a short period of time (relatively speaking), by our leaders especially at General Conference. Lately there are 2 that come to mind: sabbath/sacrament observance and studying the Book of Mormon. Are there other topics that seem to be receiving increased attention over the last few years that anyone can think of?

You also tend to hear these "priorities" more when you know you need to repent of something but choose not to. I had a friend who didn't want to serve a mission and complained cause he felt every talk in priesthood session was centered on serving a mission.

But anyway. I feel like one that has always been in the back ground is home teaching. And magnifying your callings.

3 minutes ago, Fether said:

You also tend to hear these "priorities" more when you know you need to repent of something but choose not to. I had a friend who didn't want to serve a mission and complained cause he felt every talk in priesthood session was centered on serving a mission.

But anyway. I feel like one that has always been in the back ground is home teaching. And magnifying your callings.

Home teaching seems like a calling I would enjoy.

Edited by Grunt

18 hours ago, laronius said:

I think there are four (perfecting the saints, missionary work, caring for the poor and needy, family history and temple work). Areas and stakes have come up with some specifics and details such as reading the Book of Mormon, honoring the Sabbath, missionary and rescue work, self-reliance, law of the fast and service, genealogy and temple work, etc. but they all line up with these priorities, as do the leadership training sessions on the subjects conducted by the First Presidency and Twelve. And of course General Conference!

17 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Seriously, I’d ask my elders’ quorum president if I could at least tag along.  I’ll bet he would try to work something out (once he regained consciousness!). ;)

I'll have to study what an elder's quorum president is, then I WILL ask him.

2 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I just emailed the 1st Counselor because I know him.  The cat is out of the bag now.

The next time the bishop asks to meet with you, I predict it'll be to say something like, "Hey, you're making some of the Elders look bad." ;) Alternately, in some future lesson, someone will say, "See, even non-member Grunt does his Home Teaching.  The rest of you need to get with the program." :D  Heck, I may use you myself in a comment about Visiting Teaching. :lol:

4 minutes ago, zil said:

The next time the bishop asks to meet with you, I predict it'll be to say something like, "Hey, you're making some of the Elders look bad." ;) Alternately, in some future lesson, someone will say, "See, even non-member Grunt does his Home Teaching.  The rest of you need to get with the program." :D  Heck, I may use you myself in a comment about Visiting Teaching. :lol:

I strive to be the most active non-member in the ward.  On the plus side, maybe I'll start a trend.  On the minus side, if that trend results in a bunch of active non-members, we'll all be in the wrong kingdom.

8 hours ago, my two cents said:

studying The Living Christ/the life of Christ

Who?  Oh, yeah, I think there was something about Him in one of those books they handed me.

Never quite figured out the LDS theory of "we put His name in the Church's name, so it'll balance out when we don't talk about Him all that much."

1 hour ago, NightSG said:

Who?  Oh, yeah, I think there was something about Him in one of those books they handed me.

Never quite figured out the LDS theory of "we put His name in the Church's name, so it'll balance out when we don't talk about Him all that much."

Well if that book was the Book of Mormon and you actually spent the time to read it you would have found that it mentions Christ's name in one form or another 3,925 times or once every 1.7 verses. So that "LDS theory" must have originated with someone who was more interested in badmouthing someone's beliefs rather than to learn the truth. But of course no true follower of Jesus Christ would do such a thing so it must have originated from someone not involved with this forum. I wouldn't listen to them if I were you, they clearly don't know what they are talking about.

10 hours ago, Anddenex said:

For a time President Monson (not as the prophet yet) mentioned these this verse in every general conference: "Wherefore, now let every man learn his duty, and to act in the office in which he is appointed, in all diligence."

It is interesting how certain Apostles/Prophets have a theme or two they always seem to come back to. Duty is definitely one of Pres. Monson's. Another one would be "to the rescue."

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic