Sutherland Springs Baptist Church shooting - sadness enough for everybody

NeuroTypical

In my perspective, the point is that reading the news shouldn't have us going away dumber than before we read it.  And when USAToday tells people that a chainsaw bayonet is within a million miles of relevant to the issue at hand, they are basically misinforming people.

It's like if they did an infographic on Mormons about "possible hair styles" and they show two normal haircuts and a bald woman with pink eyebrows.

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 11/8/2017 at 6:42 PM, Godless said:

Yes, everyone goes through the same initial combat training before learning their individual skills. Additionally, periodic weapons qualification is required after training is complete. In the Army, we qualified twice a year. And as Reservists, we went through a couple months of tactical training prior to each deployment. I'm not sure exactly how such training works on the Active Duty side, but I imagine they probably have similar combat-oriented training required of them from time to time.

That's mostly accurate.  

On 11/8/2017 at 6:43 PM, MormonGator said:

Thanks. I know very, very little about the military. 

While the initial phases of training mostly cover the same material, the manner in which that material is taught can be different.  Some Soldiers go through BCT (Basic Combat Training commonly referred to as "boot camp") at one location then upon graduation they all split up to go to training in whatever job they will have.  Other Soldiers, like infantry, go to One Station Unit Training (OSUT) which incorporates BCT and infantry training into one big butt-kicking mess.  

Officers don't go through the same training as enlisted, typically.  Priests typically direct commission as Chaplains.  They don't just help Catholics, though.  They minister to all faiths.

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Grunt said:

While the initial phases of training mostly cover the same material, the manner in which that material is taught can be different.  Some Soldiers go through BCT (Basic Combat Training commonly referred to as "boot camp") at one location then upon graduation they all split up to go to training in whatever job they will have.  Other Soldiers, like infantry, go to One Station Unit Training (OSUT) which incorporates BCT and infantry training into one big butt-kicking mess.  

Officers don't go through the same training as enlisted, typically.  Priests typically direct commission as Chaplains.  They don't just help Catholics, though.  They minister to all faiths.

Thank you my friend. Like I mentioned, I know virtually nothing about the military.

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...