Am I the only aware member with alarm bells going off in his head?

Alex

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Ok ok wait up.  There are different SHADES of black ink?  Whaaaaat?

Oh dear.  You have stumbled over the age-old "what's the blackest black ink?" question.  Discussing this question can turn deadly.  I shall now quote from Mr. Hippo of The Corner Cubicle (a FB page):

Dear Mr. Blackheart, Oh, great! You just had to open up that can of worms, didn't you? You must be a newbie. <big sigh> For your information, this is one of the most heated debates in the fountain pen community. I hear ink bottles have been used as missiles, and pens as swords. I guess this is a deep, dark pit every newbie who hasn't discovered the joy of colors must fall into. Well, here goes: You might want to check out this comparison article: http://www.jetpens.com/blog/black-fountain-pen-ink/pt/20 . You could also check out ink comparison tools, like those on the The Goulet Pen Company or Anderson Pens websites. But the generally accepted answers are: if you don't need something laser-proof, J. Herbin Perle Noire is awfully black (some people don't seem to believe this). If you need something permanent, Platinum Carbon Black is pretty darn black (but some fear pigments). And if you need something laser-proof, then Noodler's Heart of Darkness is what you want (because X-Feather is likely to smear). Some people, despite all that, will insist that Aurora Black is what you want (while everyone else complains that it turns your pen into an inky fire hose). If you want to pay ridiculous amounts of money for your ink, you could try Caran d'Ache Carbon Black. Personally, Mr. Grinch & I think you should leave the dark site and join the bright world of inks with color. ~Colorfully yours, Mr. Hippo.

17 minutes ago, zil said:

Oh dear.  You have stumbled over the age-old "what's the blackest black ink?" question.  Discussing this question can turn deadly.  I shall now quote from Mr. Hippo of The Corner Cubicle (a FB page):

I'm in trouble.  I think fountain pens should come in only 2 colors.  The colors of respectability and dignity.  Black or Blue.  You got me trapped in the Blue-Black ink now you're trying to tell me black is in a competition for true black.  I shudder to think how fierce the blue competition is vying for the bluest of blues, the prettiest of blues, the most feminist of blues, etc. etc..  But I betcha Satan has commandeered the black ink for his own so the viciousness in that fanbase is breathtaking - literally.  Hah!

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

I'm in trouble.  I think fountain pens should come in only 2 colors.  The colors of respectability and dignity.  Black or Blue.  You got me trapped in the Blue-Black ink now you're trying to tell me black is in a competition for true black.  I shudder to think how fierce the blue competition is vying for the bluest of blues, the prettiest of blues, the most feminist of blues, etc. etc..  But I betcha Satan has commandeered the black ink for his own so the viciousness in that fanbase is breathtaking - literally.  Hah!

Just decide now that it's a losing battle.  I'm pretty sure there are over 1000 different fountain pen inks out there.  There's no way you could ever try them all (unless you're filthy rich and do nothing else for the rest of your life), so it's better to learn to be happy with what you have.  (I mean, until your samples run out and it's time to buy more.)

3 minutes ago, zil said:

Just decide now that it's a losing battle.  I'm pretty sure there are over 1000 different fountain pen inks out there.  There's no way you could ever try them all (unless you're filthy rich and do nothing else for the rest of your life), so it's better to learn to be happy with what you have.  (I mean, until your samples run out and it's time to buy more.)

Well, I went and looked at those black inks that you linked on my puter.  Let me remind the Black Fountain Pen people - Gray is not black, charcoal is not black, very dark violet is not black... and your noodler's heart of darkness does not look black on my screen.  It's gray.   J Herbin Perle Noir is the only black ink there.

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well, I went and looked at those black inks that you linked on my puter.  Let me remind the Black Fountain Pen people - Gray is not black, charcoal is not black, very dark violet is not black... and your noodler's heart of darkness does not look black on my screen.  It's gray.   J Herbin Perle Noir is the only black ink there.

You should see Heart of Darkness in person, from a pen - it is black.  In my experience, swatches don't tell you how it will look from a pen, sample writing online gives you an idea, but only after you use it can you be sure - hence samples.  Now how Heart of Darkness compares to Perle Noir, I don't know, because I don't have the latter and ain't gettin' it - black is boring. :)

4 hours ago, Vort said:

A word to the wise, Alex:

Posts like this don't make you look knowledgeable and don't increase your credibility. They do rather the opposite,  coming across as insecure self-promotion. You will do much better trying to argue your points on their merits. Whether you succeed or fail, you will be respected more for having offered your honest thoughts, however weak they may appear.

This is also a surprisingly friendly group. If you stick around a while, you might find friends and learn stuff. Of course, if your purpose is more to instruct others on how smart you are and how they need what you're selling, you probably won't last long. I offer the earnest suggestion that you choose the first option. It's the more profitable route.

Thank you.  Because I was immediately put off by the "credentials."

55 minutes ago, pam said:

Thank you.  Because I was immediately put off by the "credentials."

One of the mummy bloggers gave me a story about someone only going to Canada yadayadaya so I dared reply to her tangible magnificence.

I'm glad my credentials put you off- heck, I didn't even get to the interesting stuff ((Matthew 7:6)).

Edited by Alex
boredom

I think we should be nicer to Alex, personally speaking.  There is no call for us to act as such. 

I'm not clear what a Mummy Blogger is, but I have this idea that I might fall into that group?

I don't mind people saying things about what they've done in their personal lives, and nothing Alex stated actually would seem all that unusual to me.

I am kind of scratching my head how one could win 3 Heisman's in one year...or who even has won 3 Heisman's.  I think the only one to even win two Heisman's was Archie Griffin.

Okay...I'm a hypocrite...I'll do a SLIGHT dig.

In regards to Heisman winners, Florida and Florida State have only had 3 each.  Notre Dame (and Ohio State) have more on their own than both of those Florida schools combined!!!

USC may count, but one of theirs was forfeited (as per Wikipedia...though I admit Wiki may be wrong...I think it's pretty accurate on the Heisman thing).

Of course, for us Mormon Mummy Bloggers, Florida and Florida State have more individually than all our LDS schools combined.  I think we have a grand total of ONE, and that is from BYU.

Does that mean we stink in Football?  Good thing I'm a Georgia Fan instead...oh wait...Georgia only has had TWO at it's university.  Which means Florida and Florida State can say the same thing to me that I said about them.  Each of them has more  than (well, actually the same amount as) BYU and Georgia COMBINED!!!

Maybe I need to start cheering for Oklahoma or something.

PS: On the otherhand, Georgia is having too good of a year to stop cheering for them at this point.  Of course, they did have a bad time with Auburn recently, hopefully that trend doesn't continue.  This is the biggest rivalry game of the year coming up though...sooooo.....

Edited by JohnsonJones

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

The interesting stuff could be...interesting to read though.  I agree it may be wise not to write about it at this point...considering some of the responses thus far.

Cheers.

I don't know what the heisman trophy is- sounds like an American sports award of some kind. And no, I didn't consider you a mommy blogger from the get go because your posts were interesting in comparison to mummy bloggers.

Outback Australia here,  just down the road from Jerilderie NSW.

Guest MormonGator
6 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I am kind of scratching my head how one could win 3 Heisman's in one year...or who even has won 3 Heisman's.  I think the only one to even win two Heisman's was Archie Griffin.

JJ I want you to ask yourself one question. Just one question. Was I being serious when I said I won 3 Heisman trophies and had 84 advanced college degrees? My claims were as true as his, but one of us was being sarcastic. 

47 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

JJ I want you to ask yourself one question. Just one question. Was I being serious when I said I won 3 Heisman trophies and had 84 advanced college degrees? My claims were as true as his, but one of us was being sarcastic. 

Hmmm...considering I know a little about the Heismans from what I posted...what do you think???  I think 3 Heisman's were a dead give away...

However, in regards to the OP, his claims are actually in the realm of possibilities to be honest, especially if it is, as it sounds, he is from over in the pacific and it sounds as if he is doing some acting and stuff in Asia proper (sounds like S. Korea for part of it from his description).

In all honesty, the number of nations he says he was in would match up for that, and they are a little on the low side for others who do a lot of international travel (for example I have a brother in law who travels regularly to Australia and on the way sometimes stops in other nations...just doing that long distance trip on a regular basis has made it so he's been in five nations in and of itself due to that travel alone).

I'm not going to knock him on it.  In comparison to what some in that industry would put on their resume's, his is definitely within the realms of believability to me, so I'm not going to knock him any on that accord.

3 Heisman's on the otherhand...

My retort on that was more on the idea of taking your comment as a serious idea with the sarcastic humor tossed in.  Look at it as a very twisted humor as in an individual of Germanic Background (who I may add are NOT known for their humor) trying to do a British sarcastic humor on an American subject using your 3 Heisman's as the centerpiece.  It worked out even better because Florida has only gotten 3 Heismans (which is the parallel to your 3 Heisman's idea)  Yeah...convoluted...but I tried. As with all jokes, it's not half as funny after being explained most likely though. 

On 11/18/2017 at 1:42 AM, JohnsonJones said:

I think we should be nicer to Alex, personally speaking

It's not the discussion of anti-Christs that got people's backs up, it's his maligning the character of one of the long-term members and subsequent rejection of the idea that he's wrong in his accusations. Personally, I have little use for someone who can't be bothered to get to know people and interact with them before he goes insulting them (cuz otherwise, your insults are ill-informed).

And if his justification is that people didn't echo his interpretation of current events, well, he's ill prepared for internet discussion or civilized existence - cuz life is full of people who don't agree with you.

Edited by zil

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

Hmmm...considering I know a little about the Heismans from what I posted...what do you think???  I think 3 Heisman's were a dead give away...\

I still won two national championships.