A Compromise!

Blossom76

I'm so happy right now!

As some of you know my husband is very Catholic and I'm investigating the LDS church, I love the Book Of Mormon and I'm praying to know if its true (nothing yet but I'll keep praying!) but my husband was umm lets just say 'less than impressed' with the whole idea.

Anyway, we have come to a compromise.  If I study the LDS faith for 18 months in depth and still want to join he will be supportive of me and even come to my baptism!  The only condition is that I have to study the Catholic faith at the same time (his point is you can't leave your own church for another if you don't even have a proper grounding in your own faith.  He also thinks I should have a proper understanding of the LDS faith before converting).  

He doesn't mind me attending LDS church as long as I go to Mass with him first (which is fine because the Mass is in the morning and the ward for my area is in the afternoon).  I do try to go to LDS church every week but honestly I need to be more dedicated (4 hours of church a week is a long time!)  

He has also agreed to study the LDS church with me (he will also help me study the Catholic church as well) and read the Book Of Mormon.

God certainly does work in your life if you pray and keep faith.  This is definitely progress people!

Edited by Blossom76
I am never going to learn how to spell properly!

48 minutes ago, Blossom76 said:

which is fine because the Mass is in the morning and the ward for my area is in the afternoon

Don't mean to throw a damper on anything, but better to know sooner:  LDS wards generally rotate (yearly) the time they meet - assuming they share the building with other wards.  The most common times are:

• 9am - noon
  • 11am - 2pm
  • 1pm - 4pm

..generally, you rotate in that order (9am one year, 11am the next, 1pm the next, then back to 9am).  However, all of that is subject to local customization as needed (the starting time may differ, wards might not always rotate, etc.).  So, you might want to check when your ward will meet next year.

Finally, while there are benefits to going to the ward in which you live (so you get to know people there and have consistency), you are free to go to any ward you want, which may be necessary to facilitate going to Mass.

5 minutes ago, zil said:

Don't mean to throw a damper on anything, but better to know sooner:  LDS wards generally rotate (yearly) the time they meet - assuming they share the building with other wards.  The most common times are:

• 9am - noon
  • 11am - 2pm
  • 1pm - 4pm

..generally, you rotate in that order (9am one year, 11am the next, 1pm the next, then back to 9am).  However, all of that is subject to local customization as needed (the starting time may differ, wards might not always rotate, etc.).  So, you might want to check when your ward will meet next year.

Finally, while there are benefits to going to the ward in which you live (so you get to know people there and have consistency), you are free to go to any ward you want, which may be necessary to facilitate going to Mass.

I didn't know that, at the moment my service starts at 2:30 but the building does cover 3 ward groups.  

So I can go at the 2:30 service time even when it's not my area anymore? That's good news, but I agree that I would rather stay with the people I am meeting with now if its possible, but I guess the most important thing is that I attend as often as possible, whatever group I end up in

49 minutes ago, Blossom76 said:

I didn't know that, at the moment my service starts at 2:30 but the building does cover 3 ward groups.  

So I can go at the 2:30 service time even when it's not my area anymore? That's good news, but I agree that I would rather stay with the people I am meeting with now if its possible, but I guess the most important thing is that I attend as often as possible, whatever group I end up in

Yes, you can go at 2:30 (assuming someone is still meeting at that time - highly probable), regardless of whether your ward (defined geographically) meets at that time.  If you ask, they'll know whether the wards rotate.

3 hours ago, Blossom76 said:

I'm so happy right now!

As some of you know my husband is very Catholic and I'm investigating the LDS church, I love the Book Of Mormon and I'm praying to know if its true (nothing yet but I'll keep praying!) but my husband was umm lets just say 'less than impressed' with the whole idea.

Anyway, we have come to a compromise.  If I study the LDS faith for 18 months in depth and still want to join he will be supportive of me and even come to my baptism!  The only condition is that I have to study the Catholic faith at the same time (his point is you can't leave your own church for another if you don't even have a proper grounding in your own faith.  He also thinks I should have a proper understanding of the LDS faith before converting).  

He doesn't mind me attending LDS church as long as I go to Mass with him first (which is fine because the Mass is in the morning and the ward for my area is in the afternoon).  I do try to go to LDS church every week but honestly I need to be more dedicated (4 hours of church a week is a long time!)  

He has also agreed to study the LDS church with me (he will also help me study the Catholic church as well) and read the Book Of Mormon.

God certainly does work in your life if you pray and keep faith.  This is definitely progress people!

I believe you are getting the best of all possible worlds.  Learning, understanding and knowledge never hurt anyone – even if you are learning, understanding and gaining knowledge of your worse enemies – It is always a good idea to learn as much as possible about people you interface with.

I am also of the belief, that in most situations, especially in important relationships (like marriage) it is better to find ways to work together than it is to be right as an individual.   As a side note – I am a scientist and engineer currently working in the field of industrial automation, robotics and artificial intelligence.  I am quite sure that if it was not for the LDS theology – I would be an atheists or agnostic as far as any other structured religion I have encountered.  For example, (marriage) I do not see any logic in divine covenants that do not have eternal significances and purpose.

The Traveler

6 hours ago, Blossom76 said:

I'm so happy right now!

Congratulations.  Very good news.

7 hours ago, Blossom76 said:

I'm so happy right now!

Regardless of how this works out, and we certainly hope for the best, but I just wanted to say that your husband seems like a very reasonable and fair person.  A good man.

Well done Blossom this sounds like a real win win situation for you and your husband. Your marriage should be strengthened through the time you spend srudying together and i would expect that both your faith and his will be as well. Just keep in mind that as important as study is, the most important thing is to gain a spiritual witness/conviction as to the truthfulness of the gospel. Conversion has more to do with the heart than the head. Gospel study can help bring someone to a point where they are more ready and willing and prepared to seek for and receive that witness. However I've also seen study pull people away from the truth when they cannot reconcile their understanding of truth with God's revealed truth and their pride or stubbornness leads them to rely on their own conclusions rather than exercising humility and faith and seeking for truth from God through prayer