Scripture Question... What's Your Opinion?

ngreninger

4 hours ago, Alex said:

My profile page has a pic of cookie monster holding a knife, therefore I am cookie monster, using your logic.

Strange. mordorbund's logic was that my picture did not define my sex or myself. That's pretty much the polar opposite of what you claim his logic was. But it appears to be exactly what YOUR "logic" (or lack thereof) is. How do you account for this?

1 minute ago, Vort said:

Strange. mordorbund's logic was that my picture did not define my sex or myself. That's pretty much the polar opposite of what you claim his logic was. But it appears to be exactly what YOUR "logic" (or lack thereof) is. How do you account for this?

Pic isn't real therefore why is what you write as name etc real?

Good grief.  This ought to be simple:

Alex: Is Vort male or female? (Understandable question given female avatar contrasted with people calling him "he".)

Mordorbund: You can go to Vort's profile page, here's a link, and read that it says he's a male from Seattle.

Alex: My profile page has a photo that isn't me.  By your logic1, I'm what the picture portrays.

1Say what!?  Mordorbund suggested you visit Vort's profile page and read the text there which explains Vort's male - counter to Vort's picture.  There was no logic related to someone being what is portrayed in their photo.  There was instruction to use the profile page to determine whether the poster has specified a gender.  Your comment makes no sense as a response to Mordorbund.

47 minutes ago, Alex said:

Pic isn't real therefore why is what you write as name etc real?

And this just makes no grammatical sense.  I have no idea what you're asking.  Perhaps "etc" is a cell phone suggestion error?

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Hmmmmm, no.

Seeing as how you accept whatever vort says without a doubt, I believe continuing this discussion with you is kind of pointless. Activate that mind of yours and I shall engage.

Well I thought about it and determined that you don't have a leg to stand on. When pressed, your only argument in your defense is that @Vort might not really be male like his profile states. I'm afraid the simple fact that ice cream is boneless trumps that defense.

So my conclusion is that you erroneously prejudged a number of the posters on these fora and the barbs you lob target you better than they target them.

8 hours ago, Vort said:

I prefer the opposite. When we are ignorant in an area, in general I much prefer an honest "we do not know" to any sort of theoretical "here's what I think." The latter is almost always wrong, and it is better to hold no opinion than a wrong opinion.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

“If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war. If the government is inefficient, top-heavy, and tax-mad, better it be all those than that people worry over it. Peace, Montag. Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs or the names of state capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year. Cram them full of noncombustible data, chock them so damned full of 'facts' they feel stuffed, but absolutely 'brilliant' with information. Then they'll feel they're thinking, they'll get a sense of motion without moving. And they'll be happy, because facts of that sort don't change.”
― Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Did @Vort say not to think about it? Did he say pretend there is no issue? If not, I'm not seeing the relevance of this quote. Or are you saying that you're so stuffed with information that you think you're brilliant?

Or even better. From the prophet himself:

'I regret the ignorance of this people—how it floods my heart with sorrow to see so many Elders of Israel who wish everybody to come to their standard and be measured by their measure. Every man must be just so long, to fit their iron bedstead, or be cut off to the right length: if too short, he must be stretched, to fill the requirement. If they see an erring brother or sister, whose course does not comport with their particular ideas of things, they conclude at once that he or she cannot be a Saint, and withdraw their fellowship, concluding that, if they are in the path of truth, others must have precisely their weight and dimensions. The ignorance I see, in this particular, among this great people is lamentable. Let us not narrow ourselves up; for the world, with all its variety of useful information and its rich hoard of hidden treasure, is before us; and eternity, with all its sparkling intelligence, lofty aspirations, and unspeakable glories, is before us, and ready to aid us in the scale of advancement and every useful improvement.'
--Brigham Young, March 4, 1860, JD 8:9

Wow, what poignant words from Brigham.

:cool:

Did Vort conclude that you cannot be a Saint? Did he withdraw fellowship? I'm having a hard time seeing the relevance of this quote, unless you're using it to reflect on how you've narrowed yourself with your pet theory instead of leaving yourself open to eternity with its sparkling intelligence in matters unrevealed.

Edited by mordorbund

21 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

But, I have a hard time with 2 Samuel 24:10-15–David sins, so God lets David pick his punishment—famine, pestilence (i.e. plague), or Davy boy can live as a refugee for three months.  

This is the incident that has always given me just a little bit of difficulty in fully accepting the teaching that we cannot choose the consequences of our actions.

This is just an off-the-top-of-my-head thought, that I haven't considered carefully, but when I think about possible reasons for the Priesthood ban, it occurs to me that the Lord might not reveal to His people a truth that they are not yet prepared to accept.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, Vort said:

So therefore you disagree with the Church's position. Right?

And THIS is why I have had bukos problems with Mormons for YEARS.  When I was a kid, most of the Mormons were pretty major bullies.  They picked on me and were basically pretty awful and mean.

I have read the BoM though, and I have felt something, but Mormons continually seem to show they are NOT Christian in their actions.

I can understand what he said, and I'm not even a Mormon.  I'm confused that you don't understand your own church's position.  Are you saying that those essays he posted were the church's position in all things?

Maybe you should study your Bible and other Mormon books more.  They contradict those essays sometimes.  It seems to me you are just picking on him.

6 hours ago, Shath said:

And THIS is why I have had bukos problems with Mormons for YEARS.  When I was a kid, most of the Mormons were pretty major bullies.  They picked on me and were basically pretty awful and mean.

I have read the BoM though, and I have felt something, but Mormons continually seem to show they are NOT Christian in their actions.

I can understand what he said, and I'm not even a Mormon.  I'm confused that you don't understand your own church's position.  Are you saying that those essays he posted were the church's position in all things?

Maybe you should study your Bible and other Mormon books more.  They contradict those essays sometimes.  It seems to me you are just picking on him.

Where do you live?

I've been to many wards in the US and in Asia and I've never seen that kind of behavior in a major way such that you can make a generalization that "Mormons continually show they are not Christian in their actions".  Mormons are usually a minority anywhere outside of Utah.  They're the ones that get picked on because of things they believe (e.g. not cussing, not attending sports games or parties on Sunday, etc.) - like my kid who is one of only 2 Mormons in his entire school.  But even in a high-density majority white Mormon area like around the Denver temple, I don't have the same experience as you.  I'm Asian complete with thick accent.  I walked in one of the wards and they went out of their way to welcome me and my teen-aged kids and make us feel comfortable.  My kids got several invitations to something or other in some kids' houses or out to do some stuff around town. 

In any case, I've been in the USA for over 20 years and I've never really felt being discriminated against except for that one incident when I was working as a cashier at a store and a Vietnam Vet refuses to go through my register.  He called me a Vietcong (I'm Filipino).  But even that, he was just some old curmudgeon who has had to fight for his life in a war so I understand that he has some deep seated issues from that experience.  He was not Mormon, of course.

Anyway, I know this guy - he is black - who sees racism  everywhere.  He got denied admission to UCF and he says it's because he's black.  Not that he got a very low score on his GRE.  I just shake my head.  Make sure you're not one of these guys.  You'll never get ahead living that way.  And, the Church doesn't pick leaders by color.  Callings are offered through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.  If all the leaders are white, that's because those are the people that were picked by inspiration.  We don't do "diversity picks" - that is, "we have to call this Asian guy because we don't have an Asian leader yet" is not how the Church works.  If you're going to have a problem with that, you're going to have a difficult time reconciling God with the Church.

8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Where do you live?

I've been to many wards in the US and in Asia and I've never seen that kind of behavior in a major way such that you can make a generalization that "Mormons continually show they are not Christian in their actions".  Mormons are usually a minority anywhere outside of Utah.  They're the ones that get picked on because of things they believe (e.g. not cussing, not attending sports games or parties on Sunday, etc.) - like my kid who is one of only 2 Mormons in his entire school.  But even in a high-density majority white Mormon area like around the Denver temple, I don't have the same experience as you.  I'm Asian complete with thick accent.  I walked in one of the wards and they went out of their way to welcome me and my teen-aged kids and make us feel comfortable.  My kids got several invitations to something or other in some kids' houses or out to do some stuff around town. 

In any case, I've been in the USA for over 20 years and I've never really felt being discriminated against except for that one incident when I was working as a cashier at a store and a Vietnam Vet refuses to go through my register.  He called me a Vietcong (I'm Filipino).  But even that, he was just some old curmudgeon who has had to fight for his life in a war so I understand that he has some deep seated issues from that experience.  He was not Mormon, of course.

Anyway, I know this guy - he is black - who sees racism  everywhere.  He got denied admission to UCF and he says it's because he's black.  Not that he got a very low score on his GRE.  I just shake my head.  Make sure you're not one of these guys.  You'll never get ahead living that way.  And, the Church doesn't pick leaders by color.  Callings are offered through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost.  If all the leaders are white, that's because those are the people that were picked by inspiration.  We don't do "diversity picks" - that is, "we have to call this Asian guy because we don't have an Asian leader yet" is not how the Church works.  If you're going to have a problem with that, you're going to have a difficult time reconciling God with the Church.

We live in California.  We lived in Utah for a little while which is where I met missionaries.  My parents didn't like Mormons so we met elsewhere with another kid.  The kids there called me a Chink, Jap, and other names.  They didn't attack me, but called me names a lot.  Made kung fu sounds at me.  I didn't feel comfortable. 

We moved to California.  There are a lot more Asians out here were we are now and a lot more Hispanics.  The Mormons here have actually attacked me for no reason.  I don't know why, I didn't do anything to them but go to their church a few times.  They go out of their way to make my life miserable.  If I say something in class they act like dolts (I actually cuss a lot more, but I know this site doesn't like me to use words like that, so this is the best word I can think of.  I have other words I'd call them) who pretend they are confused.  Everyone else knows what I am saying and the teacher will have to stop the one acting like that. 

I hate it when this happens to me.  I can't imagine why people would do that to their own people that believe like they do.   I'm nerdy in school.  They might see me as an easy target.  I don't fight, even when they try to make me fight.  No one should be treated like that though.

• pam unfeatured this topic