Changing Mind About Trump

Guest Godless
6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Just sayin... 

Just sayin'.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

10_10_17.png.a0a21b6e8c25ecfdd0ff38c72b9efdc7.png

Today's GDP news is great, truly. I hope the trend continues. But forgive me if I don't bow to Trump for hitting 4% in a single quarter. If he can hit 3% for the year, which Obama never did, then I'll be impressed, and you can feel free to quote me on that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 4:23 PM, Carborendum said:

When our current President was elected, I had many misgivings.  Mostly, the problem was with character.  I also had a problem with his political positions.  My main concern in the latter category was that I really had no idea whether I could believe anything that came out of the man's mouth.  How can we know if he's just spouting off the talking point of the moment or not?  He really had no consistent history that I could look back on and say,"Ok.  I can see where the guy is coming from."

So, I treated him like I would any politician.  I assumed he was lying through his teeth and simply telling us what we wanted (and sometimes did NOT want) to hear.  Combine that with his character record, and I simply could not accept him as anyone I could vote for.

But little by little, I've seen what he's actually gotten done through political maneuvering and what has happened during his presidency as a direct result of his rhetoric.  I began perking my ears and raising my eyebrows when I realized a lot of it was good.  Now, we finally see a piece of legislation that begins to take down Obamacare.  Not the greatest piece of legislation.  But on the balance, I'd say more good than bad.  And as of today, it is waiting for his signature alone.

I know that sometimes greatly flawed men can do great things.  But it was a hard pill for me to swallow that a man like Trump could actually do some things to help with the moral decay in this country.  But when I read that Planned Parenthood is closing dozens of its centers, I had to give some credit to the Trump Administration.  He put his rhetoric behind the conservative movements that have so long been not only ignored, but blocked by the previous administration.

Yes, he's greatly flawed.  But I can't deny some of the good he's been doing lately.

Isaiah chapter 45 sure does seem to apply to what Messiah Yeshua - Jesus is doing in America........

and for Israel..... and for the whole world?!

Thus saith the Lord to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;

2 I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron:

3 And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the Lord, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.

4 For Jacob my servant’s sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.

5  I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

I mean the best President since Reagan... .and he works for one dollar per year?!  Wow!

13 I have raised him up in righteousness, and I will direct all his ways: he shall build my city, and he shall let go my captives, not for price nor reward, saith the Lord of hosts.

Hope everyone is watching Martha MacCallum, Tucker Carlton, Sean Hannity, and Laura Ingraham (M-F), Judge Jeanine Pirro on Saturday, and Mark Levin on Sunday on Fox News Channel (FNC).  If you are depending on Fake News, you are watching "very evil people" (at least some of them) according to President Trump.  Further, you are missing critical information, but I'm sure you are watching FNC.   Right?  The Fake News people say that Trump should respect the watchdog of America, a free press, and he does. What he disrespects and calls them out are CNN, msNBC, Washington Post, and The New York Slimes for being the Fake News that they are.  President Trump has great respect for the honest press reporting, even when critical of him and the Republicans in office.  In summary, consider the source when you learn of information. 

1 hour ago, Charles Edwin Shipp said:

Hope everyone is watching Martha MacCallum, Tucker Carlton, Sean Hannity, and Laura Ingraham (M-F), Judge Jeanine Pirro on Saturday, and Mark Levin on Sunday on Fox News Channel (FNC).  If you are depending on Fake News, you are watching "very evil people" (at least some of them) according to President Trump.  Further, you are missing critical information, but I'm sure you are watching FNC.   Right?  The Fake News people say that Trump should respect the watchdog of America, a free press, and he does. What he disrespects and calls them out are CNN, msNBC, Washington Post, and The New York Slimes for being the Fake News that they are.  President Trump has great respect for the honest press reporting, even when critical of him and the Republicans in office.  In summary, consider the source when you learn of information. 

FNC is Main Stream Media in the same manner that CNN, NBC, etc. are.

Yes, consider the source.  But, if your only source is what's on TV, then you're missing a lot.  Any of those personalities you mentioned are pushing their agenda just as much as Don Lemon, et al are pushing theirs.  Therefore, watching those guys and calling it a day is... getting confirmation bias.

To ANNATESS2:  I'm interested in what you have learned, and from where.  What is your favorite source of truth?    I listen to Talk-radio, FoxNews (Trump excludes FoxNews from "Very Fake News") and Google-search and surf the web.  If FoxNews tells the Truth, as does Trump, then what we learn from truthful reporting supersedes other sources. Understand, that Trump doesn't lie, but if you read Scott Adam's book, he exaggerates a point so fake media will point it out for a day or two, and then he can explain himself, hence dominating the news for three days. It works!  Meanwhile, Trump isn't distracted and continues unwinding the Obama Legacy and winning for America.  Who can complain?  Be sure to watch the Trump Rally, Tuesday evening August 21 in West Virginia. 

16 hours ago, Charles Edwin Shipp said:

To ANNATESS2:  I'm interested in what you have learned, and from where.  What is your favorite source of truth?    I listen to Talk-radio, FoxNews (Trump excludes FoxNews from "Very Fake News") and Google-search and surf the web.  If FoxNews tells the Truth, as does Trump, then what we learn from truthful reporting supersedes other sources. Understand, that Trump doesn't lie, but if you read Scott Adam's book, he exaggerates a point so fake media will point it out for a day or two, and then he can explain himself, hence dominating the news for three days. It works!  Meanwhile, Trump isn't distracted and continues unwinding the Obama Legacy and winning for America.  Who can complain?  Be sure to watch the Trump Rally, Tuesday evening August 21 in West Virginia. 

From this post I believe you are getting "right-wing" confirmation bias.  Truth is a tricky word in newscasting.  I'll give you an example of something we were just talking about in another thread - the story of a Muslim extremist teaching children how to shoot up a school in New Mexico is Truth.  But it didn't gain much airtime in mainstream news media.  Meanwhile, the story of the grand jury against the Catholic priests is also Truth.  It gets tons of coverage.  Or it could be as subtle as the perp being referred to as "New Mexico compound suspect" in one news story and referred to as "Muslim extremist" in another story - both truth, different narratives.

Trump tweets is a daily Trump rally.  

Fox News programming has increasingly gone right-wing from its inception.  Their news coverage analysis usually consists of analysts in the same mix of The Five (a conservative, a liberal, and several independents that agree with the conservative, or 3 conservatives, a liberal, and an independent that doesn't say much).  Or you get news analysis similar to the Hannity Show where the newscaster is in the middle and they split screen between a right wing and a left wing - which would seem balanced but the newscaster sometimes does a Hannity where instead of remaining neutral he drives the conversation to the right and ends up piling onto the left-winger.  During the Bush era, this wasn't the case.  I started to notice this trend during Obama's 2nd term.  But, some university statistical analysts published that Fox News is 50% pro/against Trump whereas CNN is 10/90 pro/anti.  The Five is another good sampling of this - they have these hosts:  Juan Williams - liberal, Jesse Waters - conservative, pro-Trump, Dana Perino - conservative, anti-Trump, Greg Gutfield - independent, agrees more with Waters and Perino than Williams.  So it's a beat-down fest on Williams.  So, as you can see in this mix, it is heavily conservative but then the overall mix is 50% pro/against Trump.  And then you got Shepard Smith.

In any case, neutral journalists are a very rare breed these days.  When it comes to political reporting, Jamie Dupree is the one guy I can rely on to be neutral.  Unfortunately, he had some illness that caused him to lose his voice so he is not on the radio anymore.  He does still have his blog.

But, I don't particularly search for neutral journalists.  Rather, I simply note the source's bias.  For example - New York Times is Democrat, New York Post is Republican, Washington Post is Democrat, Washington Times is Republican,  National Review is right anti-Trump, Breitbart is right pro-Trump, People's Daily is Chinese government, RT is Russian government, BBC is British establishment (pro Tory which is considered center right in Britain but the center in Britain is smack dab on the left if you get my drift), Al Jazeera is Qatar government (pro Muslim Brotherhood, anti Saudi).  Then we got the alternative media which has one thing over the mainstream guys - at least they don't pretend to be neutral - you got OAN (which actually hit mainstream now that they're on cable) is pro-Trump right, you got Young Turks - rabid progressives, Rebel Media - conservative anti-globalist, anti-Trudeau.  You got the little guys like Tim Pool - liberal centrist, Paul Joseph Watson - conservative (considered far right in Britain because anybody right of the Torys are far right), Styxhexandhammer - libertarian (not Gary Johnson Libertarian), Mark Dice - anti MSM.... there's way too many to mention, but you get my drift on this. 

I do news like this - I scan through news aggregates which usually hits what most people are talking about - then I go searching on the internet to see who is talking about it.  Note their biases, read the articles, watch the videos, then come up with my own understanding taking into consideration everything I've learned all my life.  Welcome to the information age.

Edited by anatess2

On 12/20/2017 at 1:23 PM, Carborendum said:

When our current President was elected, I had many misgivings.  Mostly, the problem was with character.  I also had a problem with his political positions.  My main concern in the latter category was that I really had no idea whether I could believe anything that came out of the man's mouth.  How can we know if he's just spouting off the talking point of the moment or not?  He really had no consistent history that I could look back on and say,"Ok.  I can see where the guy is coming from."

So, I treated him like I would any politician.  I assumed he was lying through his teeth and simply telling us what we wanted (and sometimes did NOT want) to hear.  Combine that with his character record, and I simply could not accept him as anyone I could vote for.

But little by little, I've seen what he's actually gotten done through political maneuvering and what has happened during his presidency as a direct result of his rhetoric.  I began perking my ears and raising my eyebrows when I realized a lot of it was good.  Now, we finally see a piece of legislation that begins to take down Obamacare.  Not the greatest piece of legislation.  But on the balance, I'd say more good than bad.  And as of today, it is waiting for his signature alone.

I know that sometimes greatly flawed men can do great things.  But it was a hard pill for me to swallow that a man like Trump could actually do some things to help with the moral decay in this country.  But when I read that Planned Parenthood is closing dozens of its centers, I had to give some credit to the Trump Administration.  He put his rhetoric behind the conservative movements that have so long been not only ignored, but blocked by the previous administration.

Yes, he's greatly flawed.  But I can't deny some of the good he's been doing lately.

if everyone else wasn't doing their darndest to be worse than him.... I don't listen to what the guy says or tweets, but it does pay to watch what he signs off on. and that has been impressive. I'm just hoping he doesn't have to go under oath otherwise i think his mouth will sink him.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...