Fountain pen frenzy thread

NeuroTypical

25 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Okay, I very very much prefer the Al-star from the Safari.  The Safari is significantly lighter on my hand.  For some reason, my arthritic fingers hurt less with heavier pens.

Sorry.  It's a bummer to get a new pen and find out you don't like it so well. :(   You'll have to find a new victim, er person, to introduce to FPs. :D

1 minute ago, zil said:

Sorry.  It's a bummer to get a new pen and find out you don't like it so well. :(   You'll have to find a new victim, er person, to introduce to FPs. :D

No worries!  It's my son's pen!  And he loves both his Al-star and this new Safari equally.  Yes, it's his 2nd pen.  He got tired of switching from EF to M nib and back again.  He uses his pens to make D&D game plans and he prefers to draw the maps with M nib but write the stories with EF nib.  He's getting hooked on pens.  Hah hah.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I sat down with my 12 Jinhao 992's setting up to tune them and ink them so they're all ready to enjoy and my brother, who was doing his budget with his fancy ballpoint, tried out one of the Jinhao's (they're mighty cheap - like less than $3 apiece cheap) and liked it so much he ended up owning 2 of them.

And here's the really cool part... out of the 12 Jinhao's, 10 of them were perfect - writes super smooth - and 2 of them were a bit rough so I spent about a minute polishing them and they were perfect!  I was pleasantly surprised at the consistent quality of the cheap bulk-buy.

FP.jpg.2f79b0d48409ae791feddf66513402e3.jpg

And now we're matching ink to pen!  She's fallen deep down the rabbit hole. :lol:

Here's the sequence:

I'd never spend money on a pen (when I can just pick one up that someone left behind).

I'd never spend more than $30 on a pen (look how cheap these Jinhaos are)!

I'd never spend more than $70 on a pen - I mean that's all it takes to get this cool vacuum filler.

I'd never spend more than $120 on a pen - cuz you don't need more to get a gold nib.

Oh man!  Look at that thing!  $796?  Sure, that sounds reasonable.

:crackup:

3 hours ago, zil said:

And now we're matching ink to pen!  She's fallen deep down the rabbit hole. :lol:

Here's the sequence:

I'd never spend money on a pen (when I can just pick one up that someone left behind).

I'd never spend more than $30 on a pen (look how cheap these Jinhaos are)!

I'd never spend more than $70 on a pen - I mean that's all it takes to get this cool vacuum filler.

I'd never spend more than $120 on a pen - cuz you don't need more to get a gold nib.

Oh man!  Look at that thing!  $796?  Sure, that sounds reasonable.

:crackup:

The small powdery pile on the mirror was incorrect.  I'm sorry, here is the correct picture.

pack.jpg