Scheduling Choir

So, this year, we have the 1:00pm to 4:00 pm block.  And I'm wondering what others do for Choir practice. 

We could have it right after church, but that really means that we don't get started until 4:20 or so because of finish-up business.  And some people live 35 minutes away from church, so they won't get home until almost 6:00pm.  That's a little later than I'd feel comfortable keeping people.  This is compounded by the fact that several members of the ward choir also sing in the stake choir.  And they meet at 6:00pm.

Doing it in the morning is a delicate balance.  People have ward council meetings just before.  Breakfast and lunch get in the way.  And when people laze around in the morning, there's virtually no hour where there isn't at least someone in the choir who is eating or sleeping.  Maybe, I just need to set a time and ask that people change some of their morning schedule to allow for choir.

Thoughts?

41 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

So, this year, we have the 1:00pm to 4:00 pm block.  And I'm wondering what others do for Choir practice. 

We could have it right after church, but that really means that we don't get started until 4:20 or so because of finish-up business.  And some people live 35 minutes away from church, so they won't get home until almost 6:00pm.  That's a little later than I'd feel comfortable keeping people.  This is compounded by the fact that several members of the ward choir also sing in the stake choir.  And they meet at 6:00pm.

Doing it in the morning is a delicate balance.  People have ward council meetings just before.  Breakfast and lunch get in the way.  And when people laze around in the morning, there's virtually no hour where there isn't at least someone in the choir who is eating or sleeping.  Maybe, I just need to set a time and ask that people change some of their morning schedule to allow for choir.

Thoughts?

There is software that allows people to schedule. https://www.capterra.com/sem-compare/scheduling-software?headline=Scheduling Management Software&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7JSZ8cfN2AIVUbbACh0AXQf_EAAYASAAEgI_RvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

At my work, we use something called Doodle Bug. Who knows, maybe Wednesday night is the best time? I would start by blocking out the times that work best for you.

If your building is normal, the previous ward ought to be off in their classes by 12:20.  Start your choir practice then - tell your people to be there at 12:15 and start shuffling onto the stand as soon as there's room enough in the aisles.  If people from the previous ward are still there milling about in the chapel socializing, they deserve to be drown out by the choir practice, or driven out to their classes / offices / hallways.  Your own ward ought not to mind if the choir is practicing up until 12:50 or so.  That gives you half an hour of practice on as many Sundays as you want to have it.

The 1pm ward did this in my building last year.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Thoughts?

We flip-flop between 9-12 and 1-4 schedules every year.  Choir practice is always at 12:15 regardless of which block we're in.  So, last year choir practice was after the block, this year choir practice is before the block.

When I was choir director, I tried both a few hours before church (10 or 11 AM -- usually at someone's home because the church would be occupied) and the immediately after the block 4:15 PM. (Note that I was iin suburban Utah, so travel times were much less of a concern). I don't recall there being significantly more participation in either time frame. I thought about the "sandwiched between sacrament meetings" idea that zil suggested, but was never quite comfortable with only 30 minutes for practice, plus those families who expressed concern over choir practice taking place right in the middle of the rush to get kids lunch and dressed before church.

I occasionally toyed with the idea of a weekday practice (perhaps on your scheduled youth activity night when many of those families may be traveling into the church anyway), but never tried it -- afraid that participation might drop off (I could not afford participation to drop off).

Whatever you decide to do, if you find the One True Choir Practice time, please share, because all of the choir directors across the church would love the be in on the secret.

I've tried both, and felt like there was better participation at the 12:15 time. Especially when I provided some type of treat (but this was for a YSA ward). Last year we had a 3-6pm block, and we held choir practice at 2:15, which was always right in the middle of ward council which was a little difficult. I sent the sheet music via email to those in ward council and told them if they felt comfortable practicing on their own they were welcome to perform if they'd like. Our bishopric held ward council every sunday and I mentioned to them the scheduling conflicts, and they changed it so that one sunday a month ward council didn't meet so those people could attend choir if they desired.

Good luck! We've got the 8-11 block this year, and my fingers are crossed for more participation this time around. 

9 hours ago, zil said:

If your building is normal, the previous ward ought to be off in their classes by 12:20.  Start your choir practice then - tell your people to be there at 12:15 and start shuffling onto the stand as soon as there's room enough in the aisles.  If people from the previous ward are still there milling about in the chapel socializing, they deserve to be drown out by the choir practice, or driven out to their classes / offices / hallways. 

You might want to get some brass instruments to accompany you.

2 hours ago, zil said:

I've always said the singing in church would sound better with a bit of brass and percussion thrown in!

My home teachers were just here. One of them wants us all to come early to church so that we can all practice the hymns. He wants the chapel doors to be locked/monitored by an usher so that no one can enter during hymns or prayers. More discipline in fact.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

My home teachers were just here. One of them wants us all to come early to church so that we can all practice the hymns. He wants the chapel doors to be locked/monitored by an usher so that no one can enter during hymns or prayers. More discipline in fact.

Did you tell him you respect his right to want?

Just now, Sunday21 said:

He is an immigrant from Germany and I think he finds us too relaxed! He frequently wishes for more rules. He is hoping that the new curriculum will lead to more rules. Sigh. 

That explains everything.  Tell him you respect his right to want, and that we've been moving away from the Law of Moses for a long time now, and we're unlikely to go back. ;)

Maybe he'll feel better if you tell him my story about the Law of Moses Shower Schedule (maybe don't tell him we outgrew it).

Just now, zil said:

That explains everything.  Tell him you respect his right to want, and that we've been moving away from the Law of Moses for a long time now, and we're unlikely to go back. ;)

Maybe he'll feel better if you tell him my story about the Law of Moses Shower Schedule (maybe don't tell him we outgrew it).

Oh tell us about the shower schedule!

Just now, Sunday21 said:

And symbols! And electric guitar! Have you ever been to a church with a rock band? Invigorating! 

Cymbals ok.  Electric guitars, no.  See, if we just had brass, we could all sound like this:

(OK, that may be wishful thinking, but if we didn't, the brass could always drown us out.)

@zil. Found it! So funny! Yes, it is true that the church is being less rule oriented. It will be interesting to see how the 4th Sunday lessons go. I hear that these will be focused on the Sabbath Day. New converts often want to know what counts as obeying the Sabbath but the church wants us to work this out with the Spirit. Saints from different counties often have different interpretations. So interesting. 

Edited by Sunday21

• pam featured this topic
9 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

It will be interesting to see how the 4th Sunday lessons go. I hear that these will be focused on the Sabbath Day.

The end of the November 2017 Ensign has details on all this, so you can go see for yourself.  The 4th Sunday lessons for Jan - Apr (inclusive) are indeed about the Sabbath day, and that Ensign issue has brief ideas about what one could focus on.

• pam unfeatured this topic