An Error I Keep Making

I'm very often OCD when it comes to syntax and spelling.  I know everyone has typos, myself included. So I try to overlook those quite often.  But I somehow feel a poking or pricking when I read or hear someone else's words or written punctuation that isn't quite right.  I've learned to try to be polite about it and not criticize everyone who makes such mistakes.   But I still feel it.

Yet there is one error I keep making that I have had a devil of a time correcting because it only comes up rarely.  So, my opportunities at correcting myself are few and far between.  

When speaking, I have this tendency to call an exclamation point (!) an "apostrophe" like what we use in contractions.  I can actually trace this back to the first time I saw the movie "Hook."  Those who are familiar with the film may probably guess how I developed this error.  But how on earth does one go about correcting such a tendency?

Does anyone else have problems like this?

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm very often OCD when it comes to syntax and spelling.  I know everyone has typos, myself included. So I try to overlook those quite often.  But I somehow feel a poking or pricking when I read or hear someone else's words or written punctuation that isn't quite right.  I've learned to try to be polite about it and not criticize everyone who makes such mistakes.   But I still feel it.

Yet there is one error I keep making that I have had a devil of a time correcting because it only comes up rarely.  So, my opportunities at correcting myself are few and far between.  

When speaking, I have this tendency to call an exclamation point (!) an "apostrophe" like what we use in contractions.  I can actually trace this back to the first time I saw the movie "Hook."  Those who are familiar with the film may probably guess how I developed this error.  But how on earth does one go about correcting such a tendency?

Try being an English major and misspelling a word or not using proper punctuation.  People jump at you. Oddly, when a math major makes a mistake in calculus I don't insinuate that their degree in math was useless.  

My mental hook ups are often with grammar or improper word usage -I'll use "your" instead of "you are" and it'll drive me insane. 

Edited by MormonGator

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I have this tendency to call an exclamation point (!) an "apostrophe" ...  But how on earth does one go about correcting such a tendency?

Well, first, you recognize that it's an exclamation mark, consisting of both the line and the point, not just the point... :P

10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Nope, just you.

33 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yes.  I mean yes, there are other people who have problems like that.  I enjoy torturing them.  This one earned me a death threat, got me called a monster, and I was accused of causing someone a coronary.

Image may contain: text

Edited by NeuroTypical

I am the very definition of someone who has bad grammar and spelling mistakes on these forums.  For some reason what I mean to type and what comes out at times are not the same.

I even reread my posts and you will often see I have edited it in an effort to correct my mistakes.  You will then note that I still have mistakes in my posts after I do this. 

I'm a historian and should have perfect grammar and spelling.  This only occurs when I have someone else check my work and proofread my papers, which is a significant difference than what happens on the forums.  This is not true on the forum.  I am constantly making mistakes.  I'm terrible proof reading and then editing my own posts.

7 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I am the very definition of someone who has bad grammar and spelling mistakes on these forums.  For some reason what I mean to type and what comes out at times are not the same.

I even reread my posts and you will often see I have edited it in an effort to correct my mistakes.  You will then note that I still have mistakes in my posts after I do this. 

I'm a historian and should have perfect grammar and spelling.  This only occurs when I have someone else check my work and proofread my papers, which is a significant difference than what happens on the forums.  This is not true on the forum.  I am constantly making mistakes.  I'm terrible proof reading and then editing my own posts.

Ohhh! Historian! Do tell. What is your area? If that question is too personal, tell us some cool stuff! 

So what is the consensus on...Do great Mold blowing people change history or do the so-called Great People happen along at a time in which their vision is shared by other powerful people? 

Edited by Sunday21

2 hours ago, zil said:

Well, first, you recognize that it's an exclamation mark, consisting of both the line and the point, not just the point... :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark

The exclamation mark (British English and Commonwealth English) or exclamation point (American English) 

Not only are you a Muse, Sheathen, Pony, Alien, a robot, AND to top it all off, you're British too!!! (notice the exclamation POINTS!)

Edited by Guest

47 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I thought as much.  I'll be in my room sulking.

I have no idea how to change what is essentially a habit, except to practice.

41 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark

The exclamation mark (British English and Commonwealth English) or exclamation point (American English) 

Not only are you a Muse, Sheathen, Pony, Alien, AND to top it all off, you're British too!!! (notice the exclamation POINTS!)

I have read a fair number of British authors and watched a fair number of British TV shows over the years, so it's not unexpected for them to wear off on me.  But "mark" is also more logical than "point".

I partly said that as a tease, just to give you a hard time, but also partly seriously - perhaps if you work on changing what you call said punctuation, using neither "exclamation point" nor "apostrophe" but "exclamation mark", it will be easier to change.

Regarding the other topic brought up in this thread, I think there's a misperception regarding people who rarely make grammar mistakes.  It's extremely rare that I will post something without first reading what I wrote at least once, if not twice, and then again after posting (because it changes shape after posting, making it easier to spot things you missed in the editor).  It's not all that unusual for me to open a new tab and check how to spell something, or confirm a word means what I think it means.  I'll often change word order or choice, and sentence structure, to find the clearest way to say something.  I'll take the extra time required to remove unnecessary bits (shorter almost always takes more time to write than longer).  I would bet most posts take me 5+ times longer to write than most think they should (or did) take.  I'm guessing most people don't think it's "worth it".  I think it's common decency to be as correct, clear, and concise as I know how to be when I'm asking other people to spend their time reading what I wrote.

It other words, it's an attitude or priority, not an innate ability.  (And yes, as @Sunday21's study suggests, I'm a jerk.  But I'm a grammatically correct one.  And my thoughts in reaction to other people's grammar and spelling errors are not what the study suggests - except, perhaps, if the thing I'm reading is supposed to have been written by a professional writer (e.g. journalist).)

PS: Firefox can't seem to figure out that misperception is a correctly spelled word.  Dolts.

PPS: @Carborendum, I really, really wanted to spell "spelled" as "spelt", just for fun, but I refrained.  And every now and then, I use "whilst" - because it sounds right. :D

Edited by zil

1 minute ago, zil said:

I partly said that as a tease, just to give you a hard time, but also partly seriously - perhaps if you work on changing what you call said punctuation, using neither "exclamation point" nor "apostrophe" but "exclamation mark", it will be easier to change.

Hmm.  You could change to a completely different terminology and call it "bang" - which is what certain IT types call that character. :lol:

56 minutes ago, zil said:

Hmm.  You could change to a completely different terminology and call it "bang" - which is what certain IT types call that character. :lol:

"Hashtag" is the only modern continuation I know of regarding the old #hash !bang *splat terminology.

1 minute ago, Vort said:
58 minutes ago, zil said:

"Hashtag" is the only modern continuation I know of regarding the old #hash !bang *splat terminology.

< > ! * ' ' #
^ " ` $ $ -
! * = @ $ _
% * < > ~ # 4
& [ ] . . /
| { , , SYSTEM HALTED

The poem can only be appreciated by reading it aloud, as such:

Waka waka bang splat tick tick hash,
Caret quote back-tick dollar dollar dash,
Bang splat equal at dollar under-score,
Percent splat waka waka tilde number four,
Ampersand bracket bracket dot dot slash,
Vertical-bar curly-bracket comma comma CRASH!

http://spot.colorado.edu/~sniderc/poetry/wakawaka.html

11 hours ago, Vort said:

< > ! * ' ' #
^ " ` $ $ -
! * = @ $ _
% * < > ~ # 4
& [ ] . . /
| { , , SYSTEM HALTED

The poem can only be appreciated by reading it aloud, as such:

Waka waka bang splat tick tick hash,
Caret quote back-tick dollar dollar dash,
Bang splat equal at dollar under-score,
Percent splat waka waka tilde number four,
Ampersand bracket bracket dot dot slash,
Vertical-bar curly-bracket comma comma CRASH!

http://spot.colorado.edu/~sniderc/poetry/wakawaka.html

Note that the fourth line should end "hash four", and the last line should start "Pipe curly-brace", not "Vertical-bar curly-bracket". They messed up. Bad. How embarrassing.

Edited by Vort

Hmm.  And, come to think of it, at least one of them calls the backslash "whack" (but the forward slash is "slash").  I've never heard the angle brackets called "waka".

1 minute ago, Vort said:

Note that the fourth line should end "hash four". and the last line should start "Pipe", not "Vertical bar". They messed up. Bad. How embarrassing.

Perhaps it was "poetic license". :D

My hot buttons are "alot" and "I could care less". "Your" used in error in substitution of "You are" in which case "You're" is appropriate.

1. There is no such thing as an "alot". It's "a lot".

2. "I could care less" means you DO care and are capable of caring less, conversely, the intent is " I couldn't care less", which means I am incapable of caring about XYZ.

I've never understood "Babbling brook" (Which is correct), I've always felt "Bubbling brook" was accurate, it makes a clearly bubbling sound. 

These are a few things that make my teeth itch. 

Edited by Bad Karma

12 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Ohhh! Historian! Do tell. What is your area? If that question is too personal, tell us some cool stuff! 

So what is the consensus on...Do great Mold blowing people change history or do the so-called Great People happen along at a time in which their vision is shared by other powerful people? 

This is something that differs from individual to individual.  When I went through the university, bachelor students were given a basic overview of the historians craft and historiography.  Whether someone that changes history is because they are going against the mold or they are Great because they share a vision with others was not something that was really covered.

When one goes for their Masters they get more specific with a Masters Thesis and that is further refined when one goes into their Doctorate.

There are definitely those with varied ideas concerning those individuals who "change" history, or at least appear in history, but there is no real consensus that I know of between all historians.  I think it depends on the situation and the timing.  A prime example is Jeff Bezos.  He has changed the retail landscape and transformed shopping habits in North America and Europe to that of shoppers participating online to attain goods.  He was not the first to do so, but he is the biggest.  I'd say it was Ebay that started this trend via it's auctions, but he came about a way to do it better and more appealing to shoppers.  Does this make him "Mold" blowing or is it that he was a "Great Person" with a vision shared by other powerful people?  That is debatable.   There were others who blazed the online marketplace first, and some could say he was not the one to come up with a majority of his ideas first, rather he took the ideas others had before him and refined them.  That in and of itself did not make Amazon become the behemoth it is today, and it was not just a shared vision of several people.  What occurred was that the citizens and individuals of North America and Europe collectively jumped upon this bandwagon of commerce to make it what it is today.  It is a reflection of our society and their desires and impulses that propelled Jeff Bezos and those with him to the spot that they reside in today.  A similar idea could be transposed upon Jeff Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, and many other entrepreneurs.  These are still very modern in our time and akin to current history in the making.  It is sure that analysis of their lives and their impact on history will be studied far beyond when any of us are still alive and kicking.

The question then is whether it is that they are mold blowing individuals that changed history through their ideas (I could see this as true for the individuals above), or was it that they happened along at a period where others shared their vision (also true for the individuals above), or is it more like luck where they were at the right place at the right time (which I think has to do with success sometimes more than people would admit).

Turning this away from my historians craft and more towards the gospel, I think there are people who are sent to this life with missions to fulfill.  In some instances those individuals are assigned to bring great inventions, causes, and things to our lives.  This could very well mean that those who seem to be at the right place at the right time with the right idea (such as those individuals I talked about above) are at that time and location for a specific purpose which they agreed upon in the heavens.  I believe that what is created on this earth was spiritually created in the heavens first, which means that there are probably a host of angels whispering in the ears of various people on what to do and how to do it, reminding them of their missions on this earth, and bringing forth the fruit that will help make our lives easier, as well as expose others to the gospel.  Think about how much a personal computer has helped people reach out to their fellowmen (for example how we do on these forums), and how missionaries can talk to people who have questions on the gospel simply by sitting in front of a screen.  Think about how much facebook has helped the church and spread the gospel, as well as connect members to one another in fellowship and love.  My personal opinion is that this is all part of a divine plan which was ordained in heaven before we came.  Of course, that's not very historian like, but as this is a religious forum and not a professional arena...this is one place where I can relax my historian's stance on history and instead reveal that I think history has a distinct effect of being changed and manipulated both by the adversary and the Lord, by those who want war and hate, as well as heavenly messengers who's main concern are the salvation and exaltation of man.

Edited by JohnsonJones