Share Your Favorite Music/Good Music You Found Recently

lostinwater

Perhaps this thread is replicated elsewhere, or off-topic, but in case not, would be interesting to hear people's favorite music - all time and just stuff you found recently that seems too good not to share with someone else. 

Please though, if you simply cannot contain your contempt for another person's musical preferences, consider starting another thread, saying nothing while taking deep breaths, share music you like better, or alerting a moderator to deal with content you feel is inappropriate.  Not trying to impose my belief system as a limitation on a discussion - just trying to create a safe place where we can put aside our debating and arguments for a bit and appreciate/ better come to understand each other through music.  Of course, some good-natured teasing understood to be such is fine. :) 

Edited by lostinwater

1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

Moving Pictures

So yeah, Tom Sawyer is the best Rush song of all time but my favorite is Spirit of the Radio so this album, for me, is the best (not counting the "Best Of" compilations, of course).  And you get Freewill and Jacob's Ladder to go with it...

Edited by anatess2

@anatess2 Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are the pinnacle of Rush's albums.  However, almost every other song on MP is superior to Tom Sawyer (YYZ is the lesser song).  The Camera Eye is the best song they ever wrote with Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 very close second and third.  There are dozens of songs superior to Tom Sawyer.  TS is just the most recognizable of their catalog.

Some of my recent favorites include Mary Gauthier, Songs Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co., The Guthries, Athlos, Steppenwolf and recurring favorite album U2's Achtung Baby.

Edited by DoctorLemon

If I were to give you a list of my favorite all time albums, it would include Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, U2's Achtung Baby, Drive By Truckers' Southern Rock Opera, the Jayhawks Hollywood Town Hall, Moonsorrow's Havitetty, Faith No More's Angel Dust, Jassi Sidhu's Jassi What Happened, Khalas' Arabic Rock Orchestra, Pinto Bennett's Pure Quill, pretty much anything by French band Indochine, Doug Sahm's Doug Sahm and Band, Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison, Merle Haggard's Same Train A Different Time, Elvis Presley's From Elvis in Memphis, Steve Earle's Guitar Town, Elvis Costello's This Year's Model, Rachid Taha's Made in Medina. . . 

Edited by DoctorLemon

On 1/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, mirkwood said:

@anatess2 Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are the pinnacle of Rush's albums.  However, almost every other song on MP is superior to Tom Sawyer (YYZ is the lesser song).  The Camera Eye is the best song they ever wrote with Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 very close second and third.  There are dozens of songs superior to Tom Sawyer.  TS is just the most recognizable of their catalog.

I think I like Rush for different reasons than you.  Camera Eye is just... another Rush song for me (great song but not more exceptional than the rest, and the waaawaaa synthesized intro is not my cup of cocoa).  I own only one Rush DVD -  Anatomy of a Drum Solo.  Rush for me is Neil Pert.  And Tom Sawyer drumming is so distinctive that you can remove all the tracks except for the percussion and you would still recognize it as nothing else but Tom Sawyer.  Spirit of the Radio is my favorite because of that Reggae beat.  I super love Reggae music and hearing it incorporated into a Rush song is just awesome.  My second favorite is Roll the Bones - Pert rapping, hah hah (yes, it's an anti-Christ song but I'm not into Rush for the lyrics either).  The drums and baseline combo on that smashing intro is superb.

Edited by anatess2

14 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

Merle Haggard's Same Train A Different Time, Elvis Presley's From Elvis in Memphis

My Dad likes Merle Haggard.  My mom - as much as she won't admit it, i think likes some of the calmer songs of Elvis - which is ironic, given her temperament - though i suppose that's some of the magic of music - how what touches us comes from people who don't seem like us.

The key factor in the music I like is that it is all raw (at least by modern standards) and tends not to have the production of pop music.  This is what unites alternative country, European extreme metal, Saudi folk music, acoustic blues from the 1930s, psychedelic jazz, etc. - there is no chance you would see Timbaland or something producing stuff like this.  (admittedly I did include some New Wave artists from the 70s, in a concession to pop music, and  I also included U2, but hey, U2 is awesome).

This is NOT intended as an insult towards pop fans (such as most of my family and friends) - just being honest about what my preferences are and why I like what I do.  

Edited by DoctorLemon

7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I think I like Rush for different reasons than you.  Camera Eye is just... another Rush song for me (great song but not more exceptional than the rest, and the waaawaaa synthesized intro is not my cup of cocoa).  I own only one Rush DVD -  Anatomy of a Drum Solo.  Rush for me is Neil Pert.  And Tom Sawyer drumming is so distinctive that you can remove all the tracks except for the percussion and you would still recognize it as nothing else but Tom Sawyer.  Spirit of the Radio is my favorite because of that Reggae beat.  I super love Reggae music and hearing it incorporated into a Rush song is just awesome.  My second favorite is Roll the Bones - Pert rapping, hah hah (yes, it's an anti-Christ song but I'm not into Rush for the lyrics either).  The drums and baseline combo on that smashing intro is superb.

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

There is no Rush without all three.  Rush is probably retired, against Geddy's wishes.  I hold out hope for more studio albums even without tours.

@mirkwood, you raise a good question I think. You and I are both huge music fans, it's one of the reasons we get along so well. Is it worth it for a band to keep on going even after they've "lost it"? This might shock you in particular, but I think Kiss needed to retire three years ago. Paul Stanleys voice is shot. It's sad to listen to. I wouldn't go see them even though I'm a big fan. I don't think they'll release anymore albums, either.  Is it better to call it a day and move on or risk tarnishing their legacy and alienating their fans?