Share Your Favorite Music/Good Music You Found Recently

lostinwater

Geddy's voice live has taken a serious downturn in the mid to later stages of a tour.  He could still sound good in the studio.  Less stress on his vocal chords.  Same with Neil and Alex's physical ailments and the demands of touring and performing live.  I think Rush, if the desire and interest existed, could still churn out several more quality studio albums.

16 hours ago, mirkwood said:

There is no Rush without all three.  Rush is probably retired, against Geddy's wishes.  I hold out hope for more studio albums even without tours.

Remember the time Peart left the group for a short while?  I think his wife died or something.  Anyway, there was no hope of Rush moving forward after that (at least not for me).  Now, Geddy's distinctive vocals is probably going to hurt a lot but there are a few good Geddy-alikes in the Philippines (one became the front-man for Journey) that I still think they can still be Rush replacing Geddy with 3 people - vocalist, synths, and a bassist.  Alex... uhmm... he's the most easily replaced I think.  But yeah, without Peart and maybe Geddy, it's a cover band. 

We had this argument with my friends about Guns N Roses too.  Who is GNR?  Slash or Axl?  Now THAT is a question nobody can answer.  In my opinion, both has to be there or it's just a cover band.  So yeah, there's no more GNR after they split.  If Peart and Geddy split, I would say Peart's band is Rush.  But that's just me.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Neil did not leave the band, it went on hiatus after the death of his wife and daughter.  There is no Rush without all three.  It is beyond just the sound of a voice or style of playing.  Rush IS Geddy, Alex and Neil.  Most bands can survive line up changes.  Rush can not.

Some bands are defined by certain people. I can't imagine Motorhead with Lemmy or Metallica without Hetfield and Ulrich. 

22 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

The key factor in the music I like is that it is all raw (at least by modern standards) and tends not to have the production of pop music.  This is what unites alternative country, European extreme metal, Saudi folk music, acoustic blues from the 1930s, psychedelic jazz, etc. - there is no chance you would see Timbaland or something producing stuff like this.  (admittedly I did include some New Wave artists from the 70s, in a concession to pop music, and  I also included U2, but hey, U2 is awesome).

This is NOT intended as an insult towards pop fans (such as most of my family and friends) - just being honest about what my preferences are and why I like what I do.  

My kids agree with you.  They think modern pop has squeezed artistic talent into formulaic patterns guaranteed to be popular.  The end result is the loss of artistry.  My oldest son calls it - over-produced.  My youngest son calls it - sanitized.  My older brother thinks they are more concerned about the Music Video than the Music.

For me though, music is memories.  I can rock to Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA because its "dance-ability" connects to my younger days when dance troupes were the bom-diggity (yeah yeah 80's Michael Jackson, Flashdance, etc., and all those leotards and leg warmers).

Edited by anatess2

On 1/19/2018 at 2:44 PM, mirkwood said:

@anatess2 Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are the pinnacle of Rush's albums.  However, almost every other song on MP is superior to Tom Sawyer (YYZ is the lesser song).  The Camera Eye is the best song they ever wrote with Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 very close second and third.  There are dozens of songs superior to Tom Sawyer.  TS is just the most recognizable of their catalog.

If you ask me though, "Presto" is criminally under-appreciated. 

9 hours ago, Ironhold said:

If you ask me though, "Presto" is criminally under-appreciated. 

Great album, with a poor recording sound.  Too tinny and hollow sounding. I think it would be better appreciated with a more normal sound to the recording.  Hand Over Fist is one of my favorite Rush songs.  Scars is pretty high up too.

7 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Great album, with a poor recording sound.  Too tinny and hollow sounding. I think it would be better appreciated with a more normal sound to the recording.  Hand Over Fist is one of my favorite Rush songs.  Scars is pretty high up too.

IIRC the album ended up getting remastered for re-release. Might want to check it out again. 

• 3 weeks later...