Translations of a single verse

We were reading our scripture of the day a bit ago and I found the difference in wording between versions to be quite interesting.

2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

KJV:  James 1: 2-3

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

Berean Study Bible: James 1:2-3

I looked at several versions and they seem split on the wording.  Very similar.  But slightly different connotations.

Trial/Temptation

Blue Letter Bible: an experiment, attempt, trial, proving

Additional study of the BLB indicates that this disagreement results from idiomatic meanings of various root languages.  It is also understood that trials and temptations are synonymous.  Why, then, do people think that we don't need to prove ourselves?  Of course, the word "prove" takes us down another rabbit hole as well.  But if we have temptations at all, the very definition of the words seem to mean that we DO need to prove ourselves.

Patience/Perseverance

Patience is about waiting.  Perseverance is about working or moving forward.

So, which was the intended meaning?  Wait or move forward?  Perhaps it is an in-between meaning where both are valid depending on the circumstance.  There are trials we bear as we continue on our course of action.  Other trials are what we have to bear or endure as we wait for it to pass.

Thoughts?