3rd hour meeting on fostering love with members of the LGBTQ community

NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

That said, there is something that bothers me in this thread.  People seem to think all LGBTIA are all the same, which is not accurate.  A Transgendered individual is NOT necessarily Homosexual, and a Homosexual individual is not necessarily Transgendered.  In fact, much of the time there is NO crossover between the two.  There are MANY homosexuals that actually do NOT agree with the Transgendered idea or thoughts.  This in fact has occasionally caused a great deal of friction when utilizing the idea of LGBT as a united group, when in truth, in many instances, they are not as united as people may think.

@JohnsonJones - Thank-you.

i entirely agree with this.  And beyond that, i think there are lots of people that have feelings far too tender, intricate, and complex to allow affiliation to any group angrily demanding anything.  They aren't demanding anything surrounding pronouns or bathrooms or definition of marriage.  But these people are the voices nobody hears.  They are the ones who only listen to the condemnation of words or ideas that are the closest, yet woefully inaccurate, labels human language has for how they feel.  

And honestly, i get the need to condemn.  Maybe it's got to be done - collateral damage in the outliers to preserve the integrity of the majority.  And don't mistake that for some masked demand for tears or compassion - it's not an entirely invalid argument to say that even that infers a level of acceptance or tolerance that could be fanned by people with more explicit intentions into something dangerous for society.  

But i think Jesus weeps for them, not because they are evil or malicious or dirty or wrong or rebellious or mentally ill (because i think a lot of them are none of those things), but because they feel pain.  And i don't think that the feelings many have inherently stimulate the gag reflex of the Kingdom of God - the piercingly accurate, uniquely individual nature of that determination will embrace every person who's ever lived, no matter what labels are pinned on their collar.

On 2/8/2018 at 2:26 PM, MormonGator said:

Well obviously the toughest question of all time is how come you can't feed a Mogwai after midnight? Isn't it always after midnight? How does that work? Seriously, that ruined Gremlins for me.  

No, a tougher question is why Capt America's shield absorbs vibration, yet bounces off walls with an idealistically inelastic collision.

And the toughest question of all is how do light sabers create hard light constructs that are so hot that they melt through Walker armor like butter, and yet they do not radiate enough heat to melt the saber projector itself.

24 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

No, a tougher question is why Capt America's shield absorbs vibration, yet bounces off walls with an idealistically inelastic collision.

And the toughest question of all is how do light sabers create hard light constructs that are so hot that they melt through Walker armor like butter, and yet they do not radiate enough heat to melt the saber projector itself.

Stop ruining people's entertainment with your science!

On 2/8/2018 at 12:26 PM, MormonGator said:

Well obviously the toughest question of all time is how come you can't feed a Mogwai after midnight? Isn't it always after midnight? How does that work? Seriously, that ruined Gremlins for me.  

You know what ruined Gremlins for me? Watching Gremlins. I have seen worse movies, more offensive movies, less enjoyable movies, but in terms of pure stupidity, I don't think I've ever seen a movie that surpasses (or undercuts) Gremlins. It seemed almost as if the writers were trying to be as stupid as possible.

18 minutes ago, changed said:

Matthew 5:48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.... 

no one obeys all the commandments.

Latter-day Saints keep on trying.  They don’t assume that, because a commandment happens to be really hard, it no longer applies to them; and they don’t demand to be mollycoddled in their little (or big) acts of willful rebellion.

30 minutes ago, changed said:

It is impossible to be perfect in this life, it is impossible to keep all the commandments for everyone.  I just think it is time to stop being prejudiced of one sin over another, let G- do the judging, and know all we need to worry about is loving one another.  

My sin is prejudice, judging, and lack of love.

Do I really need to stop my sin, or should others just accept me for who I am?

5 hours ago, changed said:

It is impossible to be perfect in this life, it is impossible to keep all the commandments for everyone.  I just think it is time to stop being prejudiced of one sin over another, let G- do the judging, and know all we need to worry about is loving one another.  

That's what is taught.  What's the issue?

On 11/02/2018 at 7:53 AM, Carborendum said:

Have they stopped teaching physics in Texan high schools? The answers to these questions are obvious. The real difficulty, in fact beyond my ability, is trying to explain the answers to engineers, so sorry, you'll just have to continue assuming they are hard questions.

5 hours ago, changed said:

I just think it is time to stop being prejudiced of one sin over another, let G- do the judging, and know all we need to worry about is loving one another.  

Oh, really?  The way you came across at some points in this thread was that you didn’t think gay sex was a sin at all.

Which is it, Changed?  ‘Cause it seems like every time we start agreeing with you about being less judgmental of sinners generally, the goal posts get moved and we’re asked to accept the sin itself.  That is confusing at best, and thoroughly dishonest at worst.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

7 hours ago, changed said:

I just think it is time to stop being prejudiced of one sin over another 

What does that even mean?  

let G- do the judging, and know all we need to worry about is loving one another. 

Oh man, life would be so much simpler if loving one another removed the need to judge totally.  Changed, I take it back - you get to be emperor of the mormons - anteater and everything.  Please make it so I don't have to judge righteous judgment any more.  I once had to choose between an 8 year old girl, and the person who had sexually abused her.  Probably one of the harder judgments I've been forced to make in life.  I remember coming to harsh grips with the fact that if I chose to do nothing except sit there and exude love towards them both, that was the same as judging in favor of the abuser and against the victim.  If I chose to testify, it was judging in favor of her, and he'd go to prison.  And, like you, I think hard things are hard.  Surely, this notion you voice would have been much easier on me.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1999/08/judge-not-and-judging

Edited by NeuroTypical

7 hours ago, changed said:

Does that mean you'll stop judging your bishop?  Does that mean you've stopped judging God?  Does that mean it's ok for Heavenly Mother to be married to such a tyrant?

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

It feels like this thread could use a little bit of TFP interjection.

So here it is.

Boom shakalaka.

@The Folk Prophet, compared to your usual posts, this one is a little more cryptic than usual. However, based on your usual posts, I'm confident that there is an important idea somewhere in here, and the fault is mine for not being able to discover it. :) 

59 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Does that mean you'll stop judging your bishop?

I tried not judging my bishop, until I stopped by once and caught him digging a pit for his neighbor.

The Scriptures are quite clear on that, and there's no exception for the neighbors' septic needs.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Vort said:

You know what ruined Gremlins for me? Watching Gremlins. I have seen worse movies, more offensive movies, less enjoyable movies, but in terms of pure stupidity, I don't think I've ever seen a movie that surpasses (or undercuts) Gremlins. It seemed almost as if the writers were trying to be as stupid as possible.

Have you seen The Toxic Avenger?

• pam unfeatured this topic