Another horrific school shooting

Guest MormonGator

I find Pres Nelson's comment poorly researched. Certainly not an official position or inspiration or anything like that. If his political position is that the failure is in gun laws then I disagree with him -- politically. But I expect his comment was not well researched or thought out, except in a broader picture sense -- in that the failing is in the weakness of men and the use of their agency. But the specific implication that the problem is potentially rooted in gun ownership laws...well if that's what he really believes, I disagree.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:36 AM, Sunday21 said:

Latane & Darley are two psychologists who studied bystander interventions in violent situations. One reason why observers don’t respond is the ambiguity of the situation. I suspect that the situation of a school shooter is a difficult one to assess.

There's a big difference between an observer and a police officer.

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Yes! Part of the difference should be training. I wonder if some aspect of the training provided led to the deputy’s response?

Indubitably.  We're talking about Broward County...

By the way, the latest uncovered story is that there were 4 broward police officers that stood down.  They're saying they were told to stand down because their radio communication and body cameras were not working.  Cops from a neighboring county were the ones that entered the premises the second they got there.

Edited by anatess2

On 3/2/2018 at 9:57 AM, anatess2 said:

Indubitably.  We're talking about Broward County...

By the way, the latest uncovered story is that there were 4 broward police officers that stood down.  They're saying they were told to stand down because their radio communication and body cameras were not working.  Cops from a neighboring county were the ones that entered the premises the second they got there.

@Sunday21, an update.

The officers that went into the school are now under suspension from their swat team.  http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-sb-miramar-swat-cops-disciplined-20180307-story.html

This is another showcase of how each person has to take personal responsibility for their own defense.  You can't have a society fully dependent on police that are subject to inefficiencies and corruption and has the potential for tyranny.

Edited by anatess2

4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

@Sunday21, an update.

The officers that went into the school are now under suspension from their swat team.  http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-sb-miramar-swat-cops-disciplined-20180307-story.html

This is another showcase of how each person has to take personal responsibility for their own defense.  You can't have a society fully dependent on police that are subject to inefficiencies and corruption and has the potential for tyranny.

The police union is apparently raising Cain over this; which redeems public-sector unions a bit in my eyes.

On 3/7/2018 at 6:26 PM, Anddenex said:

Check this out:

I have been praying a lot for what freedoms we have left in the United States Constitution.  The First and Second Amendments are really under attack lately.  I have faith that the LORD will preserve liberty in parts of the United States.  Those areas that turn away from God and the Constitution will lose their liberty.  Read and study Alma chapter 46:

11 And now it came to pass that when Moroni, who was the a chief commander of the armies of the Nephites, had heard of these dissensions, he was angry with Amalickiah.

12 And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it— In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children—and he fastened it upon the end of a pole.

13 And he fastened on his headplate, and his breastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole, which had on the end thereof his rent coat, (and he called it the title of liberty) and he bowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land—

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2018 at 7:24 PM, The Folk Prophet said:

I find Pres Nelson's comment poorly researched. Certainly not an official position or inspiration or anything like that. If his political position is that the failure is in gun laws then I disagree with him -- politically. But I expect his comment was not well researched or thought out, except in a broader picture sense -- in that the failing is in the weakness of men and the use of their agency. But the specific implication that the problem is potentially rooted in gun ownership laws...well if that's what he really believes, I disagree.

Remember that this statement was in a fairly private and remote meeting.  It was not supposed to be "entered into the record."  His remarks were not prepared nor reviewed.  It was off the cuff.  The fact that he apparently mispoke a word ("where" instead of "who" -- I'm assuming) indicates that it reflects his top of the head thoughts of the moment.  So, no, it was not taking into account all the ramifications of his statements or all the considerations of all factors.